Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2018, 05:04 AM   #1
NH David

Default 1931 Model A pickup hard to start

I have a 1931 model a pickup. It started great but didn't sound like it was running right at idle or when I would drive it. (It sounded like it was idling high and was running rich) After reading some threads I decided to retime the engine. I bought a hand crank and a test light and followed the steps in Les Andrew's book and was very happy with the results. I cleaned and regapped all of the points (rotor points were close to 0.04) and replaced the plugs and plug "wires".
It was a little hard to start the first time but sounded a lot better. I went to drive it last night and can't get it to start. Is it possible that "improving the timing" is causing starting problem?
While I was timing the car I think I left the ignition on with the points closed because my battery was dead (down to 4 V) and the coil was warm. Any chance I damaged my coil?
I also noticed my throttle rod that runs to the distributor was bent, not allowing the engine to reach a fully retarded spark position. I straightened it. Any chance this is contributing?
NH David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:47 AM   #2
brokenspoke

Default Re: 1931 Model A pickup hard to start

Condenser????
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:20 AM   #3
ryanheacox

The coil is probably fine but your points are likely damaged. I killed a set when I forgot the key on overnight but the coil was fine.

My car actually started decently but 2 minutes into the drive it died. Cleaned up the points with a pocket knife, drove back home and replaced them.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:16 PM   #4
vonheine

The points were most likely damaged by leaving the key on. Take a look at them and see if they are now burnt and pitted. Your timing may be slightly off if you did not have the control lever fully retarded when you set the position of your point cam.
vonheine is offline   Reply With Quote