Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-30-2017, 09:12 PM   #1
RalphG

Default Jailbar Fender Extensions

Just perusing Kijiji classic ads as I do every day and I see this 3 ton jailbar Ford advertised. Seller mentions the factory installed fender extensions for the wide 3 ton axle. I didn't realize this was different on the big trucks compared to the pickups. Or is it?
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...ationFlag=true
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jailbar 3 ton truck.jpg (109.4 KB, 162 views)

Last edited by RalphG; 10-30-2017 at 09:27 PM.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:37 PM   #2
Rod47

Default Re: Jailbar Fender Extensions

I've had a '47 Ford 1/2 ton and I currently have a '47 Merc 1/2 ton now. I used to see a lot of 3 tons on farm yard in Alberta and they all had the extensions which my Dad said were factory installed. They'd look a little odd installed on the 1/2 ton.
Rod47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:13 PM   #3
Ross F-1

On the later 48-52 trucks, F-1's thru F-6 used the same width fenders, F-7 and F-8's had wider grilles and fenders. An F-7 or F-8 would be about the equivalent of a 3-ton.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:02 AM   #4
RalphG

I've looked at various pictures on the net showing pickups and big trucks. Really the only difference I can see is the size of the wheel openings to accommodate the bigger 20 inch wheels. Looking from head on they all look the same.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:06 AM   #5
RalphM

So are these two the same front clips?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4C6C9FC9-21C1-4003-9614-E7973B3F773A.jpg (104.4 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg 8CFC237F-D5D9-45FF-802D-7A988EDFE89F.jpg (123.4 KB, 136 views)
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:24 AM   #6
rotorwrench

All of the jail bar conventional trucks had the extended look so I guess you could say it was done at the factory. As was already mentioned, the wheel openings are a lot larger on the trucks with the larger diameter wheels. There are other differences that can only be seen when removing the front. Ford always used the same basic design cab but there are minor differences in them too, especially with the cab overs.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:01 AM   #7
Tienmac

My '46 Mercury truck brochure states the 9.00-20 tire option comes with a wider front axle and front fender extensions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (69.1 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Tienmac; 11-05-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Tienmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:32 AM   #8
mhsprecher

RalphM, that pickup appears to have wide five wheels, or am I losing my sight? Odd.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:01 AM   #9
sunshine

That sure is a wide five , some changes made there ,out of need I suppose. SUNSHine.
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:34 PM   #10
GB SISSON

There was only one year of jailbar trucks with the wide 5 pattern. This was 1942 and the last time until '48 that ford offered a 3/4 ton truck. I have seen 3 of these unusual 3/4 tonners over the last ten years or so. They had the same 122" wheelbase as the tonner and shared the larger truck front fenders. The tires are 16" instead of 17". In the shot with the 3/4 ton and the 1 1/2 or 2 ton, yes it's the same front clip. There were fender extensions factory installed on the 3 tons with the wide front axle. Here are some on a mercury in Canada. I think that wider axle might have been six lug instead of five.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg merc 3 ton.jpg (59.3 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg merc fender 2.jpg (40.8 KB, 67 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:00 PM   #11
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
There were fender extensions factory installed on the 3 tons with the wide front axle. Here are some on a mercury in Canada. I think that wider axle might have been six lug instead of five.
Interesting pic of the Merc truck. Those chrome bars and hood piece sure fancied up the old jailbar front end. I've never yet seen one with fender extensions but did find this picture. It shows 5 bolt wheels but no idea if its original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ford jailbar ext.jpg (86.8 KB, 216 views)
Old 12-31-2017, 06:24 PM   #12
mercman from oz

It is obvious that this Ford has had the centre grille section replaced at some stage from a smaller same year pickup. That is why it is not as wide as the larger Ford trucks. Notice the gaps each side.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:39 PM   #13
mercman from oz

Take a look at this 1942 Ford Jail-Bar Truck. You will notice that it has the correct Grille centre Section fitted, with no "gaps" like the one in the previous picture. With Ford Trucks, as the Ratings go up, so does the wheel openings in the front fenders. You can not use a Pickup fender on a big truck, and vice versa. The same situation applies to the centre grills section on these models.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:39 PM   #14
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post
It is obvious that this Ford has had the centre grille section replaced at some stage from a smaller same year pickup. That is why it is not as wide as the larger Ford trucks. Notice the gaps each side.
Those gaps are actually body coloured bars on mine. Then I have the 12 white painted bars (one missing).
I think that is all original. My 46 Ford has , or had, the same number of bars. And it was a big truck in it's day with 20 inch wheels. You can see it in this picture of my grille on the wall. It looks like they originally had 13 bars. Mine is missing the centre bar so it shows 12. That centre piece likely got broken out over time.
Its -18F here and I don't want to walk out to the shop to get my Ford catalogue that shows all the car and truck front ends from 1929 to 49.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46 Ford grille.jpg (118.8 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by RalphG; 12-31-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:32 PM   #15
mercman from oz

Miss-match Jail-Bar Grille Housing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jail Bar Grille.JPG (39.0 KB, 158 views)
Old 12-31-2017, 08:37 PM   #16
mercman from oz

The number of Grille Bars would be the same in the small and large Jail-Bar Fords. As you can see from the above picture, it is obvious that the Grille Housing is a mismatch for this truck, as you can see the gap at the ends. This Grille insert would have been from a smaller Jail Bar Ford, most likely a Pickup.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:10 PM   #17
RalphG

G.B. Sisson's photo of the Mercury truck has the same setup that looks like a bit of extra flaring added to the fender top. My guess is that pickups and big trucks all had the same sized grille.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:02 PM   #18
GB SISSON

They ALL had the same size grille. The 3/4 tons, the tonners and the 1 1/2 tons and two tons had larger wheel openings than the half ton pickups, but when you got to the three tons you got a really ugly mismatched fender extension that went past what it looked like to accommodate a wide front axle and 9.00 x 20 tires. It was about hauling more weight safely and at that point a farmer or logger made more money on each trip and didn't give a darn if his fenders had a step between the grille section and the fender. And every size jailbar truck ever built had 15 bars. Three fat ones in the center, flanked by six narrow ones each side.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:28 PM   #19
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post
Take a look at this 1942 Ford Jail-Bar Truck. You will notice that it has the correct Grille centre Section fitted, with no "gaps" like the one in the previous picture.
My mistake. I thought the gaps you were referring to were the ones between the vertical bars, not the ones at the extreme outside of the grille.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:49 PM   #20
mercman from oz

For more information on this topic, I contacted James Wagner, the Truck Carespondent for the Early ford V8 Club. here is what James had to say:-
"I dug out my well-worn (not by me) copy of the Canadian 1945 Ford Light & Heavy Trucks catalog (form number appears to be 501 but not clear).

On page 7 of this publication is a box at the bottom entitled: "9.00-20 Tire Option." In addition to showing a rear view of the chassis-cab model the following text appears:

"The 3-Ton 176-inch Wheelbase chassis is available with 9.00-20, 10-ply tires, front and rear at extra cost. Heavier, wider front axle has 62.26-inch tread and wider dual-ratio rear axle, 72.6-inch tread. Spacers are provided in front fenders and running boards to accommodate larger tire equipment. The option includes special driveline shafts and bearings, heavy-duty wheels and 6-stud hubs." Aside from the wheel stud count this seem to match the trucks you question.

Apparently these trucks with the "odd fitting" grilles mated up the the extended width fenders are unique to the 3 Ton Fords made in Canada.