Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-19-2019, 01:37 PM   #1
tinman7

Default stop lights

I have a 1917 Touring. What is the best way to install brake and signal lights on the rear and front. What led lights are a good choice? I love keeping it stock but need to be safe!
tinman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
Chad Marchees

Default Re: stop lights

I can't help you with turn signals, But I have put dual brake lights as well as a third high mount brake light on my pickup. My lamps are originals that I converted to dual wire filament sockets for the left and right ones. This brake light switch is the best in my opinion. It works easily 100% of the time. All my lamps are still 6 Volt.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3158HD.aspx

BTW, once you convert lamps to dual filament bulbs, hooking up turn signals is alot easier.

I have no input on the LED stuff, but suffice to say you can build a turn signal set up that is all standalone and power it off a much smaller 12v battery that only has to be recharged once in a great while.
Chad Marchees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:15 PM   #3
tinman7

Thanks Chad I order that brake switch but they have been out of stock for the last month. My 17 has one lamp on the rear so I hope to find a way to put some LED lights on the front and back. Not sure what to get and how to place them. I will go with 12 volt bat. Thanks again.
tinman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:25 PM   #4
dumb person

I have entertained the idea of putting LED light strips in a clear plastic tube and running that just around the edge of the headlight glass rim, behind the glass, barely visible. Essentially creating the "angle eye" headlight look, for turn signals.

This is as far as i have gotten (see image attached)

As for rear lights, i shoved an LED bulb in mine. Very bright but doesn't draw enough current to keep the contacts clean (they were made for modern cars with sealed lights, not exposed to the elements?) Not a huge problem, i clean them with a pencil eraser every few months.

Also possible to put that electroluminescent wire around the edges of panels, they make a version with an edge that can be sewn to clothing, this makes an interesting fender welting. But the car does look like something from TRON movie. I know this because i've done it.
E.G.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2781.JPG (64.4 KB, 81 views)

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable

Last edited by dumb person; 12-22-2019 at 07:31 PM.
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:00 PM   #5
Chad Marchees

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman7 View Post
Thanks Chad I order that brake switch but they have been out of stock for the last month. My 17 has one lamp on the rear so I hope to find a way to put some LED lights on the front and back. Not sure what to get and how to place them. I will go with 12 volt bat. Thanks again.
Unfortunately, it seems that once John Regan sold the Fun Projects business, Birdhaven can not keep up with production needs. I "think" it is partly due to them having full time jobs.

Unless you need larger lights (or want larger lights) the tea cup stock style ones work very well, consider adding a second to the rear on the opposite side. I bought dual element sockets at Napa and did some finagling and got them soldered into the old housings. Yes it is a little bulkier, but unless your headed for a Stynoski award, most wont even know. I painted the inside of the housings flat white and it made a world of difference how bright it is.
Chad Marchees is offline   Reply With Quote