Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-03-2022, 05:32 PM   #1
psimet

Default 28 Service Brakes

I have seen some threads in here but even with them and the extensive number of books I have I haven't been able to really get down to finding a drawing of the full assemblies involved in the 1928 brake system.

I have the 2 shaft version. My e-brake lever is in front of the gear shift. I've just started to look into them.

I don't want to change it from what is was to the single cross shaft. Want to keep it like it was. From my "where is it rattling" thread I took a look at the cross shafts and the frame bracket - the shafts move easily fore and aft in those brackets almost like it's a pipe being held in place poorly by loose pipe strapping. I know that's a problem but everything I see parts wise seems to be for the single shaft.

Is there supposed to be a bushing in there? Will the cross shaft repair kits like what I see at Snyders work on the 2 half shaft version as well?

Just would love to have an assembly drawing so I could see what it all should look like. There's little to no chance of me finding old restorer articles and the like so any modern electronic versions of guidance or information that anyone can share would be immensely appreciated.
psimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:17 PM   #2
Ivan in southeast va.

Default Re: 28 Service Brakes

My 31 has a service cross shaft and a emergency cross shaft. One of the bushings on my service cross shaft was sloppy and loose. I cut it off with a dremel tool and replaced it with the split bushing and a lot of grease.
Ivan in southeast va. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 11:01 PM   #3
tmiller6

With the ‘28 system, the two shafts stay loose in the strap brackets that are mounted to the frame. This allows the brakes to equalize fore-aft as well as cross car.

The book, the Model A as Henry built it, has an illustration showing this set up.

I also found this….
https://modelagarage.com/service_bul...ergency-brake/

Last edited by tmiller6; 08-03-2022 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Added url
tmiller6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 09:45 AM   #4
supergnat

Here are two photos of a parts list for the early system. I think someone on the Barn sent them to me but I don't recall who. Hope these help. My 28 has the early system that even has the non adjustable service brake rods Supergnat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.01.28 brake parts list.jpg (86.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 01.01.28 brake parts list A.jpg (69.6 KB, 12 views)
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 01:13 PM   #5
psimet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiller6 View Post
With the ‘28 system, the two shafts stay loose in the strap brackets that are mounted to the frame. This allows the brakes to equalize fore-aft as well as cross car.

The book, the Model A as Henry built it, has an illustration showing this set up.

I also found this….
https://modelagarage.com/service_bul...ergency-brake/
Thank you. Yeah I have that one in like 4 books I have from my Uncle. I have like every book they published in the 60's and 70's about the Model A.

I just can't tell all the parts and how they all go together, etc. (shhhh....I'm an engineer so I think in technical drawings

The shafts can move a lot in those straps as it is now. Once I dive into it I will post some pictures.
psimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:38 PM   #6
jb-ob

Those individual brake shafts can be built up with weld to their original diameter. An additional era fix was a rubber block between the frame and upper strap to add slight tension to prevent rattles.

With fixed length brake rods, you need to focus on restoring your backing plates.....the only adjustment necessary.
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 09:01 PM   #7
Jim Mason

From the service bulletins