Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-03-2022, 04:03 PM   #1
Grumps

Default My tire story. UPDATE

When I bought my Model A a few months ago, it needed tires, so I started checking and found that all the white walls were out of stock at the four parts places that I checked. I called the local tire dealer that I've done business with, and he said that he thought that he could get me a set and would let me know. He got me a set of white wall tires that had the Firestone name on them and mounted all four for less money than I could have gotten them Snyders, Bratton's or CW Moss. Once they were mounted and I cleaned all the blue gunk off them I found dark spots that were in two of the white walls that will not come out no matter what I use (comet, white wall cleaner, vinegar and every cleaner that you can name). It seems that dealer I got them from bought them from Coker and they are giving him a hard time about replacing them. Has anyone else ever had a problem like this with the white walls or Coker?

Last edited by Grumps; 08-06-2022 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Post added with picture of one of the tires
Grumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 04:49 PM   #2
nkaminar

Default Re: My tire story.

Any chance of posting a photo?
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 05:15 PM   #3
Oldgearz

My new Goodyear's had some of what you may be describing......light brown hazy spots the size of a quarter or half dollar. After trying all the cleaners, I went with some bleach cleaner on a pot scrubber pad and they became so faint I don't think about them anymore. The scrubber did not seem to harm the white rubber, but try it a little on yours to make sure it's okay to go with the elbow grease. Good luck.
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 05:55 PM   #4
Grumps

I don't know how to post pictures (I'm computer illiterate), but I can text them to anyone who wants to see them. I have used a heavy scuff pad and comet w/bleach and it will fade a little then reappear. I don't know how to describe what it looks like, but it isn't just a small spot it covers a large area especially on one of them.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:16 PM   #5
J Franklin

Count your blessings. Now with covid and supply issues it is time to enjoy what you have.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:16 PM   #6
Fhane

I have been a Model A Tire Dealer for many years and this could be a problem that will not go away. If any black part of another tire touches where a whitewall is present the whitewall some how absorbers the the black tire and it stains the tire. Clean and wash the stain goes away, or does it. Nope it comes back in a day or so. I hope this didn’t happen to you. Coker’s web site use to explain it better than me. Coker also sells a whitewall cleaner that won’t hurt the whitewall. Bleach type cleaners as in modern cleaners will get clean and white, but destroy the whitewall and after a time the whitewall turns permanently yellow and the starts getting fine cracks in it. I use special tire lubricant to mount tire, not soapy water that just helps the wheels to rust inside. I also clean our mounts with a pink Brillo pad, carefully not to scratch the painted wheel. NEVER LET A BLACK TIRE TOUCH A WHITEWALL. NEVER USE BLEACH. I could be wrong but I think the fading in and out is going to be a part of your Model A life style. If I am wrong or you find a solution, please let us know.
Fhane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:36 PM   #7
rotorwrench

The whitewall is likely natural rubber. The rest of the tire is synthetic rubber with lots of crbon black added. Natural rubber can change color over time due to ultraviolet radiation from the sun and from ozone in the air. Be careful what chemicals are applied to natural rubber. Some can discolor it even more or damage the rubber. A scuff pad can be used without damaging the rubber but be careful what you use on the scuff pad for cleaner.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:36 PM   #8
The Master Cylinder

Fhane, what special tire lubricant do you recommend? I see some say not recommended for use with tubes? Thanks

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:53 PM   #9
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder View Post
Fhane, what special tire lubricant do you recommend? I see some say not recommended for use with tubes? Thanks
I've fitted hundred of tyres and never used a lubricant. These are very soft walled tyres, narrow and flexible. I see no need for it. There are video clips about of people changing a tyre with their bare hands at the side of the road.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:55 PM   #10
Fhane

TMC. Yes that can be a problem using the wrong tire lubricant. I bought 2 gallons back in 2004. I have part one gallon left. Naturally the one of the original plastic bottles developed a crack and I save the remainder and poured into another clean jug I had laying around. I bought the lube at NAPA and it was tire tube safe. I remember the conversation with the manager about the difference in lubes. Maybe they still carry it. Probably best to find a old NAPA. Sorry, I just don’t remember. In the world we live in today to may people take the short cut, cheap way. Please don’t get me started on using oven cleaner to clean the side of a gel coated boat. Will it work, sure. But it was designed to clean porcelain not gel coat.
Fhane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 07:49 PM   #11
Grumps

Well, I never stacked or leaned the tires to where the black part of the tire touched the white wall. If it was that critical for that not to happen why doesn't Coker inform the buyer or the dealer before it happens and ruins 1200 dollars of tires. As a young man I worked in a tire shop and changed a lot of white wall tires and never heard of this problem, but that was back in the 60's.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:56 PM   #12
Ivan in southeast va.

Caveat emptor, sorry!
Ivan in southeast va. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 01:09 AM   #13
SHEC

Blackwall tires on Model A Fords...... just as Henry and Harvey Firestone made them. Sorry ..can’t help the personal preference. Good luck with this and I hope the problem is resolved.
SHEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 05:27 AM   #14
shew01

Default My tire story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumps View Post
When I bought my Model A a few months ago, it needed tires, so I started checking and found that all the white walls were out of stock at the four parts places that I checked. I called the local tire dealer that I've done business with, and he said that he thought that he could get me a set and would let me know. He got me a set of white wall tires that had the Firestone name on them and mounted all four for less money than I could have gotten them Snyders, Bratton's or CW Moss. Once they were mounted and I cleaned all the blue gunk off them I found dark spots that were in two of the white walls that will not come out no matter what I use (comet, white wall cleaner, vinegar and every cleaner that you can name). It seems that dealer I got them from bought them from Coker and they are giving him a hard time about replacing them. Has anyone else ever had a problem like this with the white walls or Coker?

Yes, I bought my American Classic whitewalls from Coker about a year ago. Shortly after installation, brown spots appeared. No Bleach-Wite had been used on them. I eventually got the spots to leave using a Brillo pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by shew01; 08-04-2022 at 06:25 PM.
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:36 AM   #15
nkaminar

To post a photo:

1. Transfer the photo from your smart phone to the computer. You can just email it to yourself. Use the medium size.

2. Log in to the Barn and click on Quick Reply. Add any text you want and then cllick on the Go Advanced tab below.

3. Click on Manage Attachments below.

4. Click on the Browse button and find your photo. Then click on Open at the bottom right.

5. Then click on Upload. The photo will be uploaded to the barn.

6. Lastly, go back to the window to submit your reply and click on Submit Reply below. Do not delete the Manage Attachments window.

After you have submitted your reply you can go back and delete the Manage Attachments window. If you delete it before submitting your reply the photo will not be posted. You can also do all this when you edit your posting.

Last edited by nkaminar; 08-04-2022 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-04-2022, 06:36 AM   #16
ronn

too bad coker doesnt stand behind their product.

all the more reason to stay with black walls, as mentioned.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:38 AM   #17
nkaminar

Photo test.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Fords of Norway.jpg (14.2 KB, 106 views)
Old 08-04-2022, 09:34 AM   #18
Chris in WNC

One more good reason to run black wall tires :-)
Old 08-04-2022, 09:57 AM   #19
gdmn852

Hello, I also found Coker after purchase service less than responsive, on my 49 Buick, bought the wide white bias look radials, ask what tire pressure to run and never got back to me , they were an improvement over the old tires and white was were factory equipment on convertible models .When I need tires for the Model A will go through Snyders, although they probably get them from Coker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 748CEB71-107B-4FDC-A1B1-FE0004EDDE04.jpg (84.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpeg 3B639F00-73B0-4230-9CFE-F475C7F61F87.jpeg (10.8 KB, 300 views)
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 10:13 AM   #20
katy

Remember when new tires were wrapped in brown paper to protect them?