Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-29-2022, 12:23 PM   #21
Merc Cruzer

Default Re: Inside door handle deletes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLAmes View Post
From the Ford. On the outside you can see an imprint of something circular and on the inside the imprint of whatever held it in place.
The circular hole, is where the door handle went. The attached picture is a 53' Mercury, showing the location of window switches, blanking plate medallion, and door handle. Hopefully this will explain all the holes in your door panels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4780.jpg (64.9 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 04-29-2022 at 07:23 PM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 08:13 AM   #22
GLAmes

The circular imprint I was referring to is where the blanking plate went.
Old 04-30-2022, 08:30 AM   #23
GLAmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post
Anybody have an idea what these were for; or if they are even Ford parts.

The parts may resemble late '50s interior handles.

They fit over door and window crank splines and snap into place with an internal spring.

Part number 1A-18333 9280
Maybe lost in the mix, so I'll ask again. Do you, by chance, have a couple of them to sell?
Old 04-30-2022, 12:39 PM   #24
Merc Cruzer

Sorry for the confusion.

Quote:
From the Ford. On the outside you can see an imprint of something circular and on the inside the imprint of whatever held it in place.
The marks on the back of the board, where the blanking plate goes, seams to be misleading:

"They fit over door and window crank splines and snap into place with an internal spring."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220422_224616 (Medium).jpg (66.6 KB, 4 views)
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 02:28 PM   #25
rich b

Quote:
Maybe lost in the mix, so I'll ask again. Do you, by chance, have a couple of them to sell?
Maybe you missed them; but check your private messages and emails concerning the parts.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 03:53 PM   #26
GLAmes

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks PMs sent.
Old 04-30-2022, 03:55 PM   #27
GLAmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post

"They fit over door and window crank splines and snap into place with an internal spring."
That would be true if there were window cranks or a door handle there. As it is there is just a square hole in the backboard so some type of holder is needed.
Old 05-01-2022, 10:00 AM   #28
KULTULZ

Question Re: Inside door handle deletes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post

I believe as others was early form of child lock outs. My Dad installed a set on our 56 Mercury 4 door rear doors when my little brother became a toddler.
Do you remember if these were the the exact replacements he used?

It seems to me that it would be dangerous to go about it in this fashion. If there was a crash it would be almost impossible to get out of the car.

Of course, this was all before RALPH NADER.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 04:06 PM   #29
5851a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Do you remember if these were the the exact replacements he used?

It seems to me that it would be dangerous to go about it in this fashion. If there was a crash it would be almost impossible to get out of the car.

Of course, this was all before RALPH NADER.
Yes they were, the outside door handles still functioned. Same thing as the child guard latches on the rear doors of most every 4 door built since the mid/late 80's. Flip the little lever and the inside handle is non functioning. Remember Dad fighting the spring clips without a proper tool. I stuck around for the language lessons. Think I was 6 or 7.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 01:41 AM   #30
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post

Yes they were, the outside door handles still functioned. Same thing as the child guard latches on the rear doors of most every 4 door built since the mid/late 80's. Flip the little lever and the inside handle is non functioning.

Remember Dad fighting the spring clips without a proper tool. I stuck around for the language lessons. Think I was 6 or 7.
So, the escutcheons were changed by your dad when children were not going to be in the back seat? This is my confusion (among many others). If the front seat is incapacitated (big word for me) how were the rear seat passengers able to get out before EMS arrived?

There was a button kit available during this period that would have seemed a lot safer in use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAFETY LOCK (18333) - REAR DOOR _3.jpg (45.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg SAFETY LOCK (18333) - REAR DOOR _3A.jpg (97.0 KB, 9 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 05-02-2022, 01:47 AM   #31
KULTULZ

What if ...

These were intended for use with a DEALER INSTALLED POWER WINDOW KIT that used the original manual regulator?

I do not have all the necessary early reference materials to track it down. There had to be an FORD ornament similar to the MERC used on factory POWER-LIFT WINDOWS to keep from having to introduce a separate interior door trim panel ($$$).

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 05-02-2022, 08:36 AM   #32
GLAmes

I can't envision a dealer installed power window conversion. The regulators are completely different, the doors have holes cut into them for the switches and there are wire hanesses that route under the front doors. Too much time and expense for a small gain.
Old 05-02-2022, 09:34 AM   #33
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: Inside door handle deletes

Quote:

I can't envision a dealer installed power window conversion. The regulators are completely different, the doors have holes cut into them for the switches and there are wire hanesses that route under the front doors. Too much time and expense for a small gain.
If you study the 1954 power regulator to the pre-1954 regulator, they don't operate as much later REGULATORS do. I can see a kit released to convert the earlier style regulator to power if you consider the regulator gear drive design.

As for wiring, just study a 1955/56 backup lamp kit. It's just like PREGO, it's in there.

If a customer comes in and falls in heat for a certain car but the car doesn't have the option(s) he desires, FORD made available all types of DEALER KITS. Unfortunately, this info was deleted from MPC FINAL ISSUE and one would have to find period correct BODY MANUALS.

The 1954 WSM describes STYLE A and STYLE B POWER-LIFT regulators. Therein lies the secret.

There's something missing in this discussion. I have 1952-54 WSM in storage. Guess I had best get off my duffer ...

BTW - I believe the escutcheon being discussed (CASTING ID NO 1A-18333 0928) has a FORD SERVICE PN B4A 7323876-A if anyone has additional info.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 05-02-2022 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-02-2022, 08:05 PM   #34
GLAmes

I have both Style A and B regulators. Neither resembles the hand crank regulators in my parts car. Backup light kits aren't in the same league as a power window conversion would be. A wire, a switch and two lights. Pretty simple.
Old 05-03-2022, 12:44 AM   #35
KULTULZ

Wink Re: Inside door handle deletes

Quote:
Backup light kits aren't in the same league as a power window conversion would be. A wire, a switch and two lights. Pretty simple.
No, not so simple. The OEM kit duplicated the factory install within a box, including factory harnesses. That is what I was trying to get across.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 05-03-2022, 07:24 AM   #36
GLAmes

Still, the harness is one wire to the rear. The lights ground to the body. A switch is added to the steering column base and a hot wire is plugged into the main harness. The whole procedure could be done in a couple hours. Replacing regulators and adding a complex wire harness with relays, switches, motors and fuses would require dissassembly of the interior and a skilled mechanic. I'm dreading the day after I get my car back from the paint shop that I go to install the stuff in the doors. The harness was strung with nothing in the interior, the doors removed and front clip off. Not too difficult that way. Not so easy if the car is assembled. Would someone pay the cost of all that just to not have to use a hand crank for the windows. I don't think so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg window regulators.JPG (221.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 05-03-2022, 08:15 AM   #37
KULTULZ

Post Re: Inside door handle deletes

Quote:
Would someone pay the cost of all that just to not have to use a hand crank for the windows. I don't think so.
FORD would have not had the kits available if they would not sell.

The kit would have most likely used the manual regulator with modification(s). Like I said, I need earlier model years info which is available but expensive.

A DEALER would have had at the least one TECH that would specialize in warranty work and another that specialized in modifying new cars.

All I am saying is that the part shown would have been too expensive for FORD to release as an ornament (IMO). Look at the MERC ornament. It had another use.

As my DISCLAIMER states, your opinion and mileage may vary.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 05-03-2022, 04:43 PM   #38
5851a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
So, the escutcheons were changed by your dad when children were not going to be in the back seat? This is my confusion (among many others). If the front seat is incapacitated (big word for me) how were the rear seat passengers able to get out before EMS arrived?

There was a button kit available during this period that would have seemed a lot safer in use.
We would have got out the same way we would have if we had been in the rear of our 2 door 53 Mercury. Some parents didn't like 4 drs with young kids.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote