Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-10-2018, 02:22 AM   #61
pooch

Default Re: Is it a bad time to sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Yeah, list it on the HAMB, and in six months the "original Model A running gear" will be listed for sale and the body will be hacked up for a street/rat/hot rod!
Yes and at least it will get driven .

This is why the OP is selling, the car is undrivable to the beach......
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:14 AM   #62
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Don
I saw a lot of decent stock tudors/coupes go for 5-7k. Some with pretty nice paint too.

Another thread has descended into fantasy land.

$5K buys you a decent Tudor??? Give me a break. What's "decent" to you? No bullet holes or trees growing out of it? The only way you'll get a quality car for that price is if the old boy selling has dementia and you take advantage of him.

Paint, rust and sheet metal issues are a big deal unless you can do the work yourself. It costs many thousands of $ to turn decent into nice. Best to buy the nicest car your budget will allow rather than trying to save a couple of thousand $.

I challenge anyone who thinks the asking price for this car is too much to find another one in better condition for under $20K. Of course, it must be a cabriolet otherwise you're comparing apples and oranges. There are 300+ Model As on Hemmings alone, so you should be able to find 2 or 3 cars if what you believe is correct.

Furthermore, last 3 A's I sold went to rodders. they have no problem ponying up the cash. Very hard to sell a car here on the Barn. Just my observations.
some people know how to buy and some never will............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:20 AM   #63
mfarley

Speaking of what a car is worth, here's one in my area. I about fell off my chair...

https://www.bismanonline.com/bismarc...del_a_town_car
mfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:05 AM   #64
wingski

I guess I’m having trouble understanding where a lot of you are coming from. If there is something on a car that I don’t like I remove it. All the crap that you think I should remove came with the car. Sure, I can take it all off and put it in a box somewhere, but then I’ll just have a box of stuff. I’ve already removed the Sun tach, and it was simple to do. I pulled off those dual carbs and Vortex manifold and put the original manifold back on. I have the Zenith 2 carb, but I prefer the Marvel carb.

I thought that people bought model A’s to work on and have fun with. To me it makes no sense to buy something like my cabriolet and not have to do things to it. If the car was perfect, there wouldn’t be anything to do to it other than maintenance. That’s not for me

Since I’ve been a member of the Ford Barn, I’ve met some really nice people and consider some of them to be friends. However, I think it’s time for me to say farewell to the forum. The amount of negativity has really turned me off.

I hope I haven’t ever come across as a negative person because I most definitely am not one.

That’s it for Wingski,

Goodbye
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:01 AM   #65
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingski View Post
I guess I’m having trouble understanding where a lot of you are coming from. If there is something on a car that I don’t like I remove it. All the crap that you think I should remove came with the car. Sure, I can take it all off and put it in a box somewhere, but then I’ll just have a box of stuff. I’ve already removed the Sun tach, and it was simple to do. I pulled off those dual carbs and Vortex manifold and put the original manifold back on. I have the Zenith 2 carb, but I prefer the Marvel carb.

I thought that people bought model A’s to work on and have fun with. To me it makes no sense to buy something like my cabriolet and not have to do things to it. If the car was perfect, there wouldn’t be anything to do to it other than maintenance. That’s not for me

Since I’ve been a member of the Ford Barn, I’ve met some really nice people and consider some of them to be friends. However, I think it’s time for me to say farewell to the forum. The amount of negativity has really turned me off.

I hope I haven’t ever come across as a negative person because I most definitely am not one.

That’s it for Wingski,

Goodbye
Don’t give up.

Put the car on Hemmings the way it is. List the equipment you have that’s not still on the car in add. Someone might say they will take the whole thing.

I would not change the price. You are in the ballpark, and you could always come down. Please don’t be concerned if it takes a little time to sell.

Remember, many pictures, and tell people what has been done to the car, also any history you have on the car. Good luck. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:17 AM   #66
BILL WILLIAMSON

When I "gave up" sellin' my previous house, a couple came & WHIZZED through it in 7 1/2 MINUTES! They bought it, for the asking price!!!
Bro Bill W.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #67
Dick Steinkamp

The ad is a well done one for Craigs list. However, you live 5 hours away from Portland where it is advertised. Living in a small town makes it tough to sell something with a very limited market like a rare and expensive Model A.

You will need to market to a much bigger audience of Model A enthusiasts to be successful. The number of people actively looking for a $17,000 Cabriolet in non original colors, with aftermarket accessories and that "needs some things done", can probably be counted on one hand. eBay, Hemmings, and other world wide venues will be necessary to reach them.

Also, I'm not sure why you raised the price from a month ago. If it didn't sell at $16.5 then, why is $17.5 a better number now? Don't confuse ASKING prices of similar cars or various publications' "values" with the actual market.

It's much easier to buy a car than to sell one...especially a rare and expensive one.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:07 AM   #68
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingski View Post

That’s it for Wingski,

Goodbye

Please stick around.

You did ask for opinions and some of these guys are not shy about what they think.
Don't let it be an issue.

Good luck with the car.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:28 AM   #69
burner31

Wingski:
Model A folks are down to Earth, hard working good people, you ask them a question/opinion they will respond truthfully, how you use the reply is up to you.
I do not believe anyone, including myself, meant any ill will towards you are your vehicle.
The hard truth is: Model A's are a lifestyle, not an investment for 95% of us, we own/drive and work on them for our own personel pleasure.
I believe the vast majority of Model A owner's have taken criticism about their vehicles in stride, I know I have, (cardboard door panels, homemade seat covers, repop headlights, all primer paint job) just to name a few.
I enjoy your posts and I do think your car is nice, (I would be proud to have it) but don't bail just because the responces were not as you expected, from reading your posts these last few months I take you as a tough ol coot.
Stick around and prove me right, and prove some others wrong.
Stay positive...
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:07 PM   #70
gustafson
BANNED

This thread is similar to a wife asking her husband, "do I look good in this dress?"
gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:07 PM   #71
ronn

This thread is similar to a wife asking her husband, "do I look good in this dress?"

and stupid me saying- Hell no!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:45 PM   #72
Ryan
Administrator

Come on guys... geesh...