Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-25-2018, 10:58 AM   #1
wingski

Default sloppy steering

I had my wife come out to the garage and turn the steering wheel while I watched the pitman arm for movement. The steering wheel moves a good 6 ” before that pitman arm even budges. I have the old seven tooth box on my ’29 because they introduced the two-tooth box a week after my A was manufactured.

I tried to check for any play in the steering other than that box, but it’s pretty hard to really diagnose stuff with all that play at the very beginning. The steering box adjustment is so limited on this seven-tooth box that I’m leary of trying much of anything.

I am looking forward to any and all suggestions you guys have. Now that I’m drivining the A, I’d like to be able to steer without all that unnecessary movement. Lorraine suggested that I put a squirrel knob on the wheel to help, but I hate to put anything on that brand new steering wheel until I can get rid of some of that slack.

Any help will be appreciated,

Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:40 AM   #2
John

Default Re: sloppy steering

The best solution is to replace the 7 tooth box with the later 2 tooth. There are much more adjustment capabilities in the 2 tooth box. Other than that, the only other option is to remove and overhaul the existing steering box.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:43 AM   #3
burner31

1.) Follow adjustment procedures
2.) Check all linkage/connentions/bolts
3.) Check drag links and other links
4.) Rebuild steering box
5.) Live with it
or
Replace with two tooth...almost forgot about this option

Last edited by burner31; 02-25-2018 at 12:00 PM.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:51 AM   #4
slammin

Mike, I'm faced with the same situation. While my car had a frame off restoration in the mid 90s, I haven't found any receipts in the bag full for steering box work. Its a 7 tooth with a fair amount of play. I thought about finding a rebuilt 2 tooth but expect I'll buy a Gross F-100 unit when funds become available.
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:37 PM   #5
john in illinois

make sure pitman arm is tight on shaft. Also that bolts on frame are tight.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:57 PM   #6
MAG

You can take some of that play out by replacing the worm and sector on the seven tooth box but it will never be equal to that of a two tooth.
The best I have been able to do on a 7 tooth is get the play to about 2 inches. I have done several 2 tooth boxes and could always get them to zero play at the center position.
There are 2 tooth '29 boxes out there but hard to find. They have the splined steering wheel shaft and the open segment area for the control levers.
I have converted 7 tooth boxes to 2 tooth but it is a considerable amount of work.
And I have installed the F150 box in a few cars but I prefer to keep it as original as possible. A well restored 2 tooth box and steering assembly will approach that of the F150 for ease of steering. The main difference I have seen between the two is the F150 seems to return to straight forward after a turn better than the 2 tooth.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:33 PM   #7
Synchro909

[QUOTE=MAG;1597782]You can take some of that play out by replacing the worm and sector on the seven tooth box but it will never be equal to that of a two tooth.
The best I have been able to do on a 7 tooth is get the play to about 2 inches. I have done several 2 tooth boxes and could always get them to zero play at the center position.

When I bought my '28 Tudor out of the US, I converted to RHD. That included fitting a 7 tooth steering column I rebuilt. When I put it in, it had ZERO play at the steering wheel and now, after a few thousand miles, things have settled in and I have about 3/4". I have a friend who does up these steering columns regularly. 2 tooth RHD steering boxes are real hard to come by and I just sold him 5 X 7 tooth cores so he could build up a reserve. All of his boxes have zero play also. It's not that difficult to do and the 7 tooth box is actually quite good if done correctly.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:33 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Check for shaft play by pushing and pulling on the steering wheel. There are shims at the bottom of the steering box that can be removed to get rid of excess end play. There is also an adjustment screw and lock nut for the sector shaft, and it is facing the engine.
The adjustment procedure is in the SERVICE BULLETINS.

I have two 7 tooth steering boxes, and they are both nice to drive with. One I haven't touched, and it has an inch or so of freeplay, while the other one is like NOS.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:07 PM   #9
pete1128

After rebuilding the 7 tooth box on my 29 and trying several times to remove the slop in it I called Randy Gross and ordered a steering box from him. He had one right in stock, I mailed him a check and it was here in NH a week later. It is a nicely done F100 conversion, all complete with new horn rod and spark and gas levers, and nicely written instructions. I installed it yesterday by myself, but haven't put in the brake and clutch pedals or battery yet, so I cant give you a driving report. I can say it took 3" of free play out of the steering wheel, and considerable slop out of the front wheels
pete1128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:12 PM   #10
denniskliesen

I rebuilt my 7 tooth and have very little play in the steering wheel. I put a new sector shaft in, a complete new steering shaft and worm from Snyder's, replaced both thrust bearings, replaced both bushings on the steering shaft and replace both bushings on the sector shaft. I also installed the lower steering shaft seal with the tube to replace the old style. I made a oring retainer for the sector shaft to stop that leak area. In a nut shell everything inside except the shims on the steering shaft, and the lower bearing housing on the steering shaft. You will end up spending a lot of money on all those parts and the bushings have to be fit carefully. If you have a driver I would suggest a Randy Gross steering box.
denniskliesen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:08 PM   #11
Robert/Texas

I was able to get the steering wheel play (7 tooth '28 roadster) from about 4-1/2 inches to 1/4 inch by using the instructions in the Les Andrew's book. I'd try this before considering any replacement.
Robert
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:53 PM   #12
Kohnke Rebabbitting

They are easy to rebuild, do it and your done. What's your life worth.

Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:09 AM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohnke Rebabbitting View Post
They are easy to rebuild, do it and your done. What's your life worth.

Herm.
Yo' Herm,
You're SO RIGHT, but Folks get FAKED out with a unit they don't UNDERSTAND!---My Lord, basically it ONLY has 2 MOVING PARTS!
Bill Tryit