Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #1
DD931

Smile Kudos to Dennis Carpenter

After all the supplier bashing I've been reading on this board, I thought I should tell folks about the happy experience I just had with Dennis Carpenter. I have been looking for P/N 7RA 12213-B, which is a particular style of retainer/clip to hold the distributor rotor to the shaft on a '48 F-1. I searched online with several of my favorite suppliers and they only had the newer version. So, I Googled the number and found that Dennis Carpenter had it - not in his catalog - but as "NOS" stock. Apparently they buy up old dealer stock and make it available retail. Lots of stuff not available any other way. So, to close the story, I got a new scarce part at the same retail price as the more common repro part. Very pleasant telephone service by a knowledgeable rep (female, by the way). Happy camper!!
DD931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
tanner

Default Re: Kudos to Dennis Carpenter

I share your enthusiasm for Dennis Carpenter. They are my go to guys for all things early Ford. Since they are only 20 miles away, I have had several opportunities to buy there and have always found the folks to be very friendly and most helpful. Their nos is awesome.
tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #3
Vic Piano

Yup, I've always enjoyed doing business with Dennis Carpenter, and all the people that work with him. If you ever get a chance, go visit his facility in Charlotte, NC, it is outstanding!
Old 08-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
Grandadeo

Another happy Carpenter customer. Since all three of you own F-1s thought I'd share this. The gang at Carpenter's have been working on F-1 stainless vent window frames for a couple years now. They say they are getting close to completion on the project but not quite there yet. Not sure if you guys would have a need for them but I sure do. So.....IF anyone else is interested in them maybe a few more inquires could help the project along. Self serving request I know but I'm about six months or less away from needing them and I'd hate to spend a bunch of time on my old ones just to have the new shinny ones be available. Thanks.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50
Grandadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #5
37coop

My wife and myself had a tour of the factory ,sales etc many years ago when we went to an early Ford V8 club event at Charlotte speedway ,what a professional outfit ,we were introduced to the staff individually ,one guy was pressing out tiny knobs by hand for the 1940 ash tray ,one by one ,thousands a day probably ,I,m sure its more automated now , we were shown the huge area storing the NOS items,an unbelievable amount of just about everything ,if you get the chance go there ,very impressive , we use Carpenter and C&G ,never had a problem from either . cheers Jim.
37coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
supereal

Carpenter and Bob Drake are the best, and probably only, vendors that manufacture parts themselves in this country. Carpenter makes the best plastic and rubber parts, while Drake has a greater array of body and trim pieces. When you order from one, you will likely receive some from each. Last year I restored a 1946 Cushman scooter with Carpenter parts which are very difficult to find elsewhere.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #7
charles in east texas

I think that clip is the same for a 1952 8N Ford tractor and maybe earlier 8Ns and 9Ns.
Charles
charles in east texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:48 PM   #8
ford38v8

During my visit to Carpenters, I was impressed with his employment of several handicapped employees in positions they could handle. I hope Dennis is still able to enrich the lives of the less fortunate among us, as very few employers would ever consider doing something so radical as to help their fellow man.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:58 PM   #9
nelsb01

Ironically, I also recently needed that clip -- and Little Dearborn (Minneapolis MN), a organization that has been buying up obsolete Ford Dealer inventories since 1959 had the clip. We need to also remember the smaller (haha if you have ever toured Little Dearborn, not small) businesses. They have more of the parts we need, than you think.

Too many times people just take the quick way to get what they need and then complain if it doesn't fit or work right. What has happened to the 'do the reseach and evaluation' before following the easiest path.

Last edited by nelsb01; 08-07-2014 at 11:03 PM. Reason: update
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:06 AM   #10
Graeme / New Zealand

Carpenters have been good to me over the years going back to the day I would do business by "snail mail" and it would take weeks for me to get the bits down here at the "a*s end of the world"

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:33 AM   #11
cushman man

Dennis, has been and still is a big help in restoring old fords, 8n, and Cushman scooters.I know him very well and he is a good person.
cushman man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:57 PM   #12

Yes!
3340 is offline   Reply With Quote