Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-06-2022, 10:54 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Notes on a roadster windshield

So... Most of you know me and this certainly ain't no roadster or RPU by any standards. It's a bunch of parts on a good running 4 wd chassis I had left over from a previous life. I don't think the Hamb would have me because I could never afford all prewar, and the FTE seems to specialize in stuff with a mustang or volare (gasp) front clip 2" off the pavement. Just that I raised the height of my windshield up and down by 2" and stuck where I am. . I have played with squared corners and radiused corners as well. I guess what I am saying is unlike some forums, 'barners have class and this is just a 'run around town, summer rig' for me and the grandkids. After many alterations I am ready to start welding after work tomorrow. I am hoping that my friends here will chime in with advice and I am really thinking of wind wings too. My wife is deaf in one ear from a tumor and I am close behind in both from work. Last summer was no windshield at all, just safety glasses and wind noise. My windshield has a ways to go and I would like to share, so come back and see how it turns out. The images shown have a band across the factory cowl with 3 uprights welded on rough and the rest is wood scraps and gorrila tape to mock up what I hope to build from steel. Thanks, GB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WS latest 1.jpg (146.8 KB, 470 views)
File Type: jpg ws latest 2.jpg (147.1 KB, 465 views)
File Type: jpg ws latest 3.jpg (129.1 KB, 462 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 10:57 PM   #2
Tinker

Default Re: Notes on a roadster windshield

Its looking real neat. I guess I would suggest drawing designs from the past. I like it so far.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:01 PM   #3
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
So... Most of you know me and this certainly ain't no roadster or RPU by any standards. It's a bunch of parts on a good running 4 wd chassis I had left over from a previous life. The images shown have a band across the factory cowl with 3 uprights welded on rough and the rest is wood scraps and gorrila tape to mock up what I hope to build from steel. Thanks, GB

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:23 PM   #4
deuce_roadster

Gary, Looks like an "island rig" to me!! That shape looks about right. Have you looked at the open cab fire engines for the shape of their WS?
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:30 AM   #5
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
Have you looked at the open cab fire engines for the shape of their WS?

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 07-07-2022, 01:04 AM   #6
ford38v8

Windshield looks good, but wind wings will require a re-think on mirrors, and If the wife wears dresses, she'll appreciate wind deflectors from floorboard all the way up.

Here's another idea... How about a steel rail from a railroad for a front bumper?
Old 07-07-2022, 02:01 AM   #7
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Here's another idea... How about a steel rail from a railroad for a front bumper?

Alan lets not get into rat territory.

Agree on the firetruck stuff...
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:22 AM   #8
GB SISSON

I like the fire truck windshield as well. I'm going to look at google images on that. They aren't sporty roadsters or flat, plumb military windshields. They are open cab working trucks!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 07-07-2022, 09:42 AM   #9
tubman

About 20 years ago, a friend and I co-owned a couple of fire engines, one a 1948 Seagrave (on the left). It's the only picture I have of it on this computer, but it was a great looking truck. The windshield was even more sharply raked than the one shown previously.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg summer 04 zimmer party and misc 357.jpg (89.5 KB, 64 views)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:49 AM   #10
Tim Ayers

Love it. Looks like a mix between a Duval and a firetruck.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:52 AM   #11
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
About 20 years ago, a friend and I co-owned a couple of fire engines, one a 1948 Seagrave (on the left). It's the only picture I have of it on this computer, but it was a great looking truck. The windshield was even more sharply raked than the one shown previously.
I agree, that's an incredibly handsome beast! (the truck)
Just spent ten minutes looking at open cab fire trucks. Mike hit the nail on the head by bringing up the open cab fire trucks. I might make the top corners a bit bigger radius. Currently it's a quart paint can for a template on the outside rad.
Old 07-07-2022, 08:38 PM   #12
rich b

Square corners, for sure.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 10:09 PM   #13
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post
Square corners, for sure.
I knew this would come up.... I started square but with the bulbous fenders on the jailbar the square seemed like from an earlier time. Like model A/32 stuff. I went with a smallish radius (the qt. paint can is 4 1/4" , so 2 1/8" R) and am now thinking maybe 2 1/2" outside R to pick up on the fenders. I plan on a gusset coming twds the driver in the Vee at bottom of windshield with some shape to it. Seems like the Duvall WS has outer posts that taper inwards ie, widest at the top. I have configured mine at plumb and about 15 degrees slant back. I love this stuff.... Being creative and standing back and looking at progress etc. But.... I have 3 grandkids on the island this week and 1 step grandkid staying with us all week and 3 days of a hell jobsite I finally finished today and tossed all my tools in my pickup, kicking up dust down the driveway. I might get some welding time tomorrow, but on the weekend my wife is taking her grandson home to the mainland so I am a welding bachelor for the best of 48 hours. Expect to see some progress.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:44 PM   #14
cas3

I think I'll go with Rich B, square corners. Never was a fan of the "Duval" look, but thats just my opinion. Anything that "Might" have had a rag top on it would be square corners for ease of a seal, even the later "round bodied" Fords. The fire trucks, and Ice cream trucks were never meant to be enclosed like all the military trucks Mercman has shown us in his wonderful Aussie open cab thread. Old guys are supposed to limit the direct sunshine for health reasons, a top may be in your future, or you could at least make it a possibility if you ever get the hankerin. Easier to build too. Lookin too cool though !

Last edited by cas3; 07-07-2022 at 10:45 PM. Reason: add
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 03:57 AM   #15
flatford8

I like the square corners for the future top as cas3 suggests. Your doing a fine job son.......keep up the good work!!........Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 08:31 AM   #16
deuce5wndw

Have you looked at boat windshields? I bet you could find those easy where you live!
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:05 AM   #17
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce5wndw View Post
Have you looked at boat windshields? I bet you could find those easy where you live!

Last edited by petehoovie; 07-08-2022 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:50 AM   #18
GB SISSON

OK, I'll tape up some 1/4" masonite into a square corner configuration and get some pics. Not a duvall fan either. Finding a boat windshield that fits could be very time consuming and I cant weld aluminum to alter the frame.
Old 07-08-2022, 02:38 PM   #19
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
OK, I'll tape up some 1/4" masonite into a square corner configuration and get some pics. Not a duvall fan either. Finding a boat windshield that fits could be very time consuming and I cant weld aluminum to alter the frame.

Plus if you did find one that would work it would probably pricey.
Old 07-08-2022, 11:45 PM   #20
GB SISSON

OK, you guys win. I'm man enough to say I gave a soild look at the hard corners with welding them in. Pretty much the fire truck pics (and some friendly coersion) have convinced me to go this way. I played hookey from work today and got a head start on the weekend. My local lumber yard has 1/4" plexi in stock and that will do til I send a plywood template to the mainland for safety glass. I would love to come up with some safety glass here and try to cut it, but can't think of any vehicles around here. Part of me says to drop the top horizontal bars down a bit on the middle post to make the top line more flat or less of a Vee. Easy now, a beyotch later. But doubt there will be a top, or ????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg square corners A.jpg (139.1 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg Square corners B.jpg (141.3 KB, 134 views)