Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-28-2022, 08:22 AM   #21
ronn

Default Re: This hobby is dieing

funny, Ive said this before- I find the people in NJ indifferent to model As.

rarely get a thumbs up or a smile.

I guess we are curmudgeons!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 08:37 AM   #22
rotorwrench

I don't know why the first model A I ever saw sparked such an interest in me at an early age but it did and I've been an enthusiast ever since. I can't help but think that I'm not the only person that ever felt that way.

We're in times that seem to be getting tougher with inflation on the rise and an economy that shows signs of trouble. I think this is having the worst effect on our hobby. Folks that are tightening their belt are looking more at survival tactics than hobbies. Better times will bring the hobby back like it always has.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 11:30 AM   #23
jeepguy1948

The fact that people love your car doesn't mean much to the hobby because they are not running out and buying Model As. Things can get crazy for sure and it boils down to people having more dollars then sense. Sure, there are some younger people getting but it's like 1 newbie for every 4 that age out.
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 12:04 PM   #24
Gary Karr

In Southern California, what I'm seeing is the younger people that are getting into Model A's are building early period correct hot rods or rat rods. It was sure true at the Pancake Breakfast earlier this spring. It just proves that there's something in it for everyone, whether it be stock drivers, modified stock for driving, fine point, or rat rods. I don't see it dying, just evolving.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 03:41 PM   #25
johnneilson

I don't see it dying, only evolving. With the internet and other forms of communication the needs for the clubs are diminishing. Not to say that the Clubs are not necessary, they are not the only form of information and parts sourcing. My Son's High school Buddies are all interested in older vehicles. One has a '27 Chevrolet and another has a '27 Roadster.
Keeping the next generations interested will be a paradigm shift, and the onus will be on US to adapt.

Happy Memorial Weekend, John
Old 05-28-2022, 03:53 PM   #26
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
funny, Ive said this before- I find the people in NJ indifferent to model As.

rarely get a thumbs up or a smile.

I guess we are curmudgeons!
I agree with you. Most people hardly turn their heads. At car shows the crowd seems to be gathered around the hot rods and the 1970 era cars. My 29-30 era cars no longer attract a crowd.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 08:54 PM   #27
Bill G

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnneilson View Post
..... With the internet and other forms of communication the needs for the clubs are diminishing. Not to say that the Clubs are not necessary, they are not the only form of information and parts sourcing.
Clubs may not be necessary, but they serve a few purposes. (1) a social forum for owners and spouses where lasting friendships have been forged. (2) a way for those who don't have mechanical or electrical skills to learn from others and others have the opportunity to serve fellow members. (3) When a group goes out on tours in the Model A it can be more fun than solo. Also, the opportunity for roadside seminars for those who might break down.

I am a member of a club and having a lot of fun!
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:43 PM   #28
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
Clubs may not be necessary, but they serve a few purposes. (1) a social forum for owners and spouses where lasting friendships have been forged. (2) a way for those who don't have mechanical or electrical skills to learn from others and others have the opportunity to serve fellow members. (3) When a group goes out on tours in the Model A it can be more fun than solo. Also, the opportunity for roadside seminars for those who might break down.

I am a member of a club and having a lot of fun!
And don't forget the most important reason of all, the sex and booze parties.
Pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:17 PM   #29
Bill G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
And don't forget the most important reason of all, the sex and booze parties.
Gee, I want to join your club!
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:20 PM   #30
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
Gee, I want to join your club!
Bring a chick and a jug and you are in.
Oh, and you have to own at least 2 Model A's.
Old 05-29-2022, 10:03 AM   #31
Epic Restorationz

I am, by far, the youngest member of our club at 38 years old. The struggle I see is that most clubs are not doing things during the hours when a working person or family can attend. With so many retirees and older folks who want to be home before dark most of the time, a working guy with a family doesn’t have a prayer if he wants to attend something during the week. Locally, there isn’t really a good Model A presence at the weekend car shows either. Many of the cars are unfortunately starting to price out of a young persons (working full time with kids) range. My father-in-law and I were fortunate enough to obtain a barn-find car and have been steadily restoring it over the past year. You can check out what we’ve done so far on our YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/c/EpicRestorationz

We’re hopeful that once we’re done and can get the car out to shows, we can start to build some more interest locally with the car and the story/channel we’ve built along with it. Time will tell.
Old 05-29-2022, 11:13 AM   #32
jeepguy1948

You know what? nothing that has been said here negates what was initially presented. It does not matter how many thumbs up, or wave's, or even senior citizens that tell you about "the good old days" what matters is that far, far, less younger people getting into the hobby than are leaving the hobby. Actually buying cars to use and enjoy. Also, in regard to the crazy auction prices. They are, at least in part, driven by somebody with lots of cash deciding the want something to take to "cars and coffee". Y'all can tell me I'm wrong but you need to back it up with real facts.
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 01:38 PM   #33
shew01

We have a 1965 Mustang and a 1931 Victoria. By far, the Victoria gets much more attention form folks we don’t know.

The car hobby in general is an expensive hobby, especially if you have kids in school or college. We didn’t start buying old cars until our daughter had graduated, and the bills were paid for it. An old car is similar to having another mouth to feed. There is always something (often expensive) that needs to be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 02:08 PM   #34
johnneilson

I wonder why the younger folks are not interested? Maybe one cause is the elimination of shop class offerings in high school, how many of us started out there? The old apprentice programs for the trades had a purpose and many very fine craftsman came from this life work.

I know many people who have offered to youngsters the opportunity to learn about mechanics and machining. Example is My Son Owen, 15 years old and machining up his own "B" motor. He keeps me honest in the cars and racing.

There are many other excuses I am sure, for now I will do all I can.
What are you willing to do?

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bearing tangs.jpg (35.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 05-29-2022, 02:35 PM   #35
P.S.

Until recently, Tina and I were the youngest people (who were not children or grandchildren and dragged along by older folks) at almost every Model A club meeting or gathering. I heard conversations for many years that there are no young people joining. So, I decided to do something about it. I dreamt up a way to use social media video platforms and created videos showing how easy, fun, and affordable it is to own and drive a Model A. Using subtle means, I show how the common schmuck like me can keep a Model A in tip top shape. From what I am told by office holders of MAFCA and MARC, it is working. But, I'm just one guy. So much more can be done by everyone. For starters, make yourself and your Model A approachable. Be an ambassador. And, when it comes time to sell your prized Model A, take one for the team and offer to sell it to a young person at a great discount. Show up at a young person's home and take them for a ride, or let them drive.

The old grouch types here will pull the old "I had to earn it, so should they". That thinking will make the hobby die. My thinking will make it grow.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 02:55 PM   #36
Jeff/Illinois

As an aside, I see the National Clubs continuing to lose members. I will soon be a past member of both clubs as I feel I really don't get anything out of them anymore. The closest chapter to me is half a state away. And I have belonged pretty faithfully to MAFCA and MARC since about 1971.

The stack of magazines takes up a lot of room and they are heavy. I simply bought MAFCA's flash drive of The Restorer and read them on the desk top. That works fine for me. I gave all the magazines away.

Attend a National meet and you drop a thousand bucks right off the bat. You can have just as much or MORE fun at say Sharon, Wisconsin Model A Day Cruise in, no trophy's no crap no BS no entry fee no egos trying to draw attention to themselves just 200+ Model A Fords and a bevy of other antique cars that park out on the fringes, and EVERYbody is having a blast. And it is all totally free. The people are a lot friendlier too

Membership numbers in the National Clubs are not a measuring stick of enjoyment or love of the Model A Ford and wanting to own one. . It is just a different world today. From 1971.

The Internet has changed the game. It is kinda nice to just go on YouTube and see a video of what you are wanting to work on, on your Model A, and after seeing it you think 'Ah-HA,,,, THAT is how it's done"

In reference to the original post I just don't see the interest in antique cars dying out. As Gary Karr rightfully said 'It isn't dying it is evolving'

I agree with the man 110%
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:09 PM   #37
Oldgearz

I went to my local dentist office the other day in my 30 Coup and there was a guy about 35 in the parking lot who was over-whelmed by the car. He wanted to pay me to let him and his wife go for a ride in it. I declined. A week later I was at the Lost in the Fifties car show in Sandpoint, ID and this same guy came up to me just as enthusiastic as before. Swore he was going to get an A in the near future. I would bet there are many more like him out there. There's something about the beauty of these cars that is forever.
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:17 PM   #38
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgearz View Post
There's something about the beauty of these cars that is forever.
Especially when they have an SBC for power......LOL
Old 05-29-2022, 07:18 PM   #39
Terry, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnneilson View Post
I wonder why the younger folks are not interested? Maybe one cause is the elimination of shop class offerings in high school, how many of us started out there? The old apprentice programs for the trades had a purpose and many very fine craftsman came from this life work.

I know many people who have offered to youngsters the opportunity to learn about mechanics and machining. Example is My Son Owen, 15 years old and machining up his own "B" motor. He keeps me honest in the cars and racing.

There are many other excuses I am sure, for now I will do all I can.
What are you willing to do?

John
From your mouth to god's ear! I guess that's your boy running the Bridgeport. Many people are telling younger people to avoid college debt (And Indoctrination) and take up a trade. I concur. I was a recent dropout from HS and I BSed my way into a machinist job at $.20 over minimum wage. I had learned enough to pull it off. I retired from the Machine trades as a Mechanical Model Maker for a very large company. I worked directly with the engineers and Scientists. My back gave out on me and I had to get something else.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 08:06 PM   #40
clifforddward

I think plenty of young people like our older cars...just a week ago I was driving some two lane back roads and came upon a stretch where a car was behind me...I was only driving 45 mph, so after 10 minutes or so when they did not pass me I had an opportunity to pull to the side of the road and waved them by...instead they stopped beside me and the early 20's female driver leaned over and said: "I'd have been happy to follow you for another 10 minutes...I was just admiring your car!"....she had not seen a Model A out on the road and thought it was great that they could be driven.

As others have said...the hobby is not dying...just changing...there will be younger people to come along and pick up our vehicles....just need to give them time to learn!
clifforddward is offline   Reply With Quote