Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-25-2016, 01:25 PM   #1
Special Coupe Frank

Default Slightly O/T - Ford "999"

Does anyone know if there is any sound movie footage of either of the Ford "999" /"Arrow" racing cars running ?

There are a few short clips from silent news-reels, but I haven't found any sound footage.

Have there been any recent attempts to run either car ? Doth both cars still exist ?

Thanks !

SC Frank

Last edited by Special Coupe Frank; 10-25-2016 at 01:50 PM.
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:52 PM   #2
diomed

Default Re: Slightly O/T - Ford "999"

999 is sitting in the Henry Ford museum. It's right out in the open, so I took some detailed photos. I doubt they ever run it

https://goo.gl/photos/e2YqCseEGhHeeshdA
Old 10-25-2016, 03:09 PM   #3
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

it looks like a beast. What is the history of I? Wayne.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:24 PM   #4
Special Coupe Frank

Thanks Diomed... gosh that thing is a beast !
Old 10-25-2016, 04:42 PM   #5
gz

The last time it actually ran was sometime during the 1960s I believe. I remember George DeAngelis telling me the story as he was involved with getting it running.
gz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:06 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Something that is about as equally impressive to watch is the Sweepstakes racer being driven. It can be viewed every year at Old Car Festival. Hits a mean kick!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:25 AM   #7
diomed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Something that is about as equally impressive to watch is the Sweepstakes racer being driven. It can be viewed every year at Old Car Festival. Hits a mean kick!
What's the Sweepstakes car? Sounds interesting

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2016, 06:17 AM   #8
gweilbaker

It looks like it has an exposed crankshaft, yikes, at least there's oilers. One scary machine.
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:16 AM   #9
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Brent - saw a video with a present-day Ford team driver and "Sweepstakes"...

Apparently there were also some replicas built...

Is the original extant and running ?

Frank
Old 10-26-2016, 10:39 AM   #10
Jim Brierley

Not only is the crank exposed, so is the ring gear!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:41 AM   #11
Fullraceflathead

I think the Original 999 is long gone.
I believe Ford built a replica of the Original in the 1960's.
This is what I heard in the 1980's.
The Museum should have the details on it posted.

"Primitive technology is not a design flaw"

1928 Ford Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Gordon Smith Air Compressor
1941 Willy's Pickup
1960 Thunderbird-For Sale
1964 Buick Riviera 2x4 425
1965 Pontiac GTO, 455 Super Duty
2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10, V-10 Viper
1977 Charger Jet Boat,460 Ford,Jacuzzi Jet
Front Engine Nostalgia Dragster,Supercharged 296 "Fullrace Flathead" Ford
Engine Build up on DVD ask
Fullraceflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #12
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by diomed View Post
What's the Sweepstakes car? Sounds interesting

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
This was a car Henry Ford built and drove in a race that had a $5,000 first prize. This was after he had failed in what I believe his second attempt to start his car company (may have been his first try). He needed cash to start over and this was his opportunity. He ran against some big dogs with faster cars from the east coast, but they all blew up, spent much time for repairs in the pits, etc. and Henry just kept going and won. Reports say he slowed way down for the turns so got passed, but again, as they say: "To finish first, first you have to finish"!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:07 PM   #13
gz

The Sweepstakes race car that gets used at Old Car Festival is a complete replica. Two (maybe just one, I don't remember now) were made in about 2001-2003. Ironically, the "original" Sweepstakes car that is in the Museum is not original either. When Henry Ford was assembling the Museum in the late 1920s, he wanted all of his original, early cars to be on display. The original Sweepstakes did not exist, so he had a team of engineers make a copy of this famous race car in the mid to late 1920s. Some of the other cars Henry experimented with in between the Quadracycle and the first Model As of 1903 were built as well. The Sweepstakes car has been represented as an original at times over the years, but it really isn't-it is a 90 year old replica!!! There has been some speculation that there are some original parts on this car, but I don't believe so. The most current replicas are works of art and are fully functional like the original.

The 999 Racecar in the Museum is indeed the original. There have been some changes made to it. The car was raced and used for a few years after Henry was done with it, so it is not entirely identical to its original configuration, but, generally pretty close. Like all race cars, it was modified every time it was used. After it was retired from racing, it was on display at Billy Hughson's Ford dealership in California. Hughson was one of Henry's first Ford dealers in 1903 and was actually "collecting" cars while the Model T was still in its infancy. Hughson gave the car back to Henry when the Museum was being opened in the late 1920s. If you look real closely on the wooden frame rails, you can faintly see Hughson's name stenciled on the side.

George De Angelis wrote a very detailed description of 999 describing its history in an old issue of the Antique Automobile magazine, the national publication of the Antique Automobile Club of America. If you can get your hands on this article, it is a fascinating read. George was probably the foremost authority on this car.

Last edited by gz; 10-26-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:35 PM   #14
henry's 31

Thanks Kris for sharing those great photos, I visited the Museum several year ago but your photos are great. 999 is a very important part of the Ford History. Several years ago I purchased an oversized model of this vehicle. Again, Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:40 PM   #15
RUNNERBUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz View Post
The Sweepstakes race car that gets used at Old Car Festival is a complete replica. Two (maybe just one, I don't remember now) were made in about 2001-2003. Ironically, the "original" Sweepstakes car that is in the Museum is not original either. When Henry Ford was assembling the Museum in the late 1920s, he wanted all of his original, early cars to be on display. The original Sweepstakes did not exist, so he had a team of engineers make a copy of this famous race car in the mid to late 1920s. Some of the other cars Henry experimented with in between the Quadracycle and the first Model As of 1903 were built as well. The Sweepstakes car has been represented as an original at times over the years, but it really isn't-it is a 90 year old replica!!! There has been some speculation that there are some original parts on this car, but I don't believe so. The most current replicas are works of art and are fully functional like the original.

The 999 Racecar in the Museum is indeed the original. There have been some changes made to it. The car was raced and used for a few years after Henry was done with it, so it is not entirely identical to its original configuration, but, generally pretty close. Like all race cars, it was modified every time it was used. After it was retired from racing, it was on display at Billy Hughson's Ford dealership in California. Hughson was one of Henry's first Ford dealers in 1903 and was actually "collecting" cars while the Model T was still in its infancy. Hughson gave the car back to Henry when the Museum was being opened in the late 1920s. If you look real closely on the wooden frame rails, you can faintly see Hughson's name stenciled on the side.

George De Angelis wrote a very detailed description of 999 describing its history in an old issue of the Antique Automobile magazine, the national publication of the Antique Automobile Club of America. If you can get your hands on this article, it is a fascinating read. George was probably the foremost authority on this car.
Found this on Ebay and just had to have it. Small (5 inch) promotional screwdriver. Just thought I would share.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4562.JPG (253.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4563.JPG (226.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4564.JPG (238.9 KB, 42 views)
Old 10-26-2016, 07:44 PM   #16
gz

Wow. That is a really cool screwdriver. By the 1920s, Hughson had dealerships all over California. I am not sure how long his dealership dynasty lasted.