Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #21
Tinker

Default Re: Clean gas smell off hands?

I've heard if you use some hand lotion before you do the work, the hand lotion penetrates the skin before the oil can.

Hey at church everyone knew whom the pig farmer was. Heck I still like the smell of silage.

Seriously though, lotion before working helps. I just use a little high karate afterwords too.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #22
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
. . . Heck I still like the smell of silage. . .
City slicker here. What's silage? If it smells like a foundry or machine shop, I like it. The soybean chemical processing plant down the road owned by a paint company, not so much.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #23
Buz

This new gas stinks. The only thing I have found that kills the smell is Boraxo hand soap, it works wonders.
Here's a link, you can get it at Walmart. Worth it's weight in gold !
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Boraxo-003...l5=pla&veh=sem
Buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #24
H. L. Chauvin

After over 50 years of knowing about removing smell from hands, & after telling so many people in so many states & countries for so many years, I just cannot imagine why this one smell remover never gets metionned.

Anyone ever go to a South Louisiana restaurant and engage in peeling & eating boiled shrimp, boiled crawfish, and/or boiled crabs, then leave the restaurant with a seafood odor on one's hand that could knock out a mule upwind at 100 yards?

For smell on one's hands, the restaurant owners & waitresses offer lemons which barely remove some of the smell; but now your hands have a strong odor of lemon peelings.

Some recommend their scented hand "wipes", or suggest their restroom lavatories liquid soap that smells as bad as cheap perfume from downtown Cairo, Egypt.

Right under everyone's noses, on the restaurant table, is the very best unknown smell remover one ever tried.

Use it first, "then" wash your hands with any soap & water & you can dance all night & not have your partner think you are a commercial fisherman off of the North Sea.

Only one (1) tablespoon of this stuff in one's palm will work just fine.

Get it from the restaurant table, then go to the restaurant lavatory & rub it on fronts & backs of both hands, between fingers, & scratch each hand to work it under your fingernails.

Then wash hands normally with soap & water & dry.

Name of product: Regular tomato Ketchup, (Catsup).

Hope this helps while going to church also.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:46 PM   #25
Tinker

Chicago guy huh? Lived in the wheaton area for a bit. Silage is a mix of feed for cattle. Some people don't like the smell much its like the smell of a barn or a oily garage, you like it or you don't.

Lotion before working on your car works though.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:52 PM   #26
Joe K

Fast Orange. Get the "smooth" type. Pumice is good for grimy hands but smooth cleans better (IMHO)

Usually about $12 for a gallon jug with pump top.

Joe K
Old 02-19-2013, 12:00 AM   #27
steve hackel

'Avon' makes a product called "silicone Glove" and is just the thing to use on your hands BEFORE you work with grease and dirty parts - cheap $, easy to wash off and smells great, it also helps to soften them. To clean your hands, try looking at this web-site and the product called "Pro-Soap" ; it is used by several medical centers and hospitals that I know of, and I have been using it for about 23 years... or, ever since I had several free samples given to me at a car show and swap meet. I end up buying 1 case of it each year (4 tubs) and for the number of times a day that I wash my hands I am surprised that I don't use more of it!
steve hackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:02 AM   #28
steve hackel

'Avon' makes a product called "silicone Glove" and is just the thing to use on your hands BEFORE you work with grease and dirty parts - cheap $, easy to wash off and smells great, it also helps to soften them. To clean your hands, try looking at this web-site http://www.prosoap.com/ and the product called "Pro-Soap" ; it is used by several medical centers and hospitals that I know of, and I have been using it for about 23 years... or, ever since I had several free samples given to me at a car show and swap meet. I end up buying 1 case of it each year (4 tubs) and for the number of times a day that I wash my hands I am surprised that I don't use more of it!
steve hackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:12 AM   #29
BILL WILLIAMSON

Chief had a gas station about like this pic, small house behind, we never smelled gas, company would come in the house, "You got gas in the house"????----------Bill W. (Didn't have ants, either. Mice? I don't remember??)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MORE LIKE CHIEF'S STATION.jpg (26.8 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 02-19-2013 at 02:17 AM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:00 AM   #30
Ross/Kzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
After over 50 years of knowing about removing smell from hands, & after telling so many people in so many states & countries for so many years, I just cannot imagine why this one smell remover never gets metionned.

Anyone ever go to a South Louisiana restaurant and engage in peeling & eating boiled shrimp, boiled crawfish, and/or boiled crabs, then leave the restaurant with a seafood odor on one's hand that could knock out a mule upwind at 100 yards?

For smell on one's hands, the restaurant owners & waitresses offer lemons which barely remove some of the smell; but now your hands have a strong odor of lemon peelings.

Some recommend their scented hand "wipes", or suggest their restroom lavatories liquid soap that smells as bad as cheap perfume from downtown Cairo, Egypt.

Right under everyone's noses, on the restaurant table, is the very best unknown smell remover one ever tried.

Use it first, "then" wash your hands with any soap & water & you can dance all night & not have your partner think you are a commercial fisherman off of the North Sea.

Only one (1) tablespoon of this stuff in one's palm will work just fine.

Get it from the restaurant table, then go to the restaurant lavatory & rub it on fronts & backs of both hands, between fingers, & scratch each hand to work it under your fingernails.

Then wash hands normally with soap & water & dry.

Name of product: Regular tomato Ketchup, (Catsup).

Hope this helps while going to church also.
A fellow worker would go coon hunting with his dogs all night. Sometimes the dogs would get sprayed by skunks. When he got home the next morning he would wash the dogs with tomatoe juice. He said it was the only thing to get the smell out.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #31
Patrick L.

I still wash my hands with gas and then use toothpaste.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #32
marc hildebrant

Tomato juice is a classic for skunk smell. It should work on gas too.

I use kerosene as a cleaner on my hands if the "orange cleaner" doesn't work.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #33
Chris in WNC

to me the kerosene stink is almost as bad as gasoline.
the catsup cure is one I've never heard but am eager to try.

latex gloves? I love keeping my hands cleaner. Harbor Freight gloves are poor quality as we expect from there. I've used much more expensive gloves from various sources that are almost as bad. best ones yet are the black ones we got recently at O'Reilly Auto Parts. that said, I've never found any that will stand up to kerosene, much less gasoline......
Old 02-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #34
Ross/Kzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in WNC View Post
to me the kerosene stink is almost as bad as gasoline.
the catsup cure is one I've never heard but am eager to try.

latex gloves? I love keeping my hands cleaner. Harbor Freight gloves are poor quality as we expect from there. I've used much more expensive gloves from various sources that are almost as bad. best ones yet are the black ones we got recently at O'Reilly Auto Parts. that said, I've never found any that will stand up to kerosene, much less gasoline......
Have you tried the store in your town that supplies wheelchairs, knee braces and other medical supplies? And I'm not talking Walmart. Much cheaper and better than the Harbor Freight gloves.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #35
Ted Duke

I agree to avoid getting it on you, BUT:

I find the best handcleaner is the cheapest shampoo you can find. Any brand, get min eat Dollar store. Works better on grease, anything smelly, dirt then hand-cleaners.

IMHO, your results may very
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #36
1942deluxe

The smell that was worse was the friction modifier we used to get from Ford for the clutch packs on the limited slip differentials.Everyone called it "a bottle of the stinky
s##t",even the Ford people.They have changed the formula when it went to Motorcraft and the smell is milder.Rest assured if you got any on your hands or clothes there was no chance you were going to have a romantic evening.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #37
gweilbaker

Pet an old sweaty goat, works every time.
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #38
Tacoma Bob

Been having good luck with goo gone spray gel.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #39
Brentwood Bob

A great attention getter is to snap the gloves when you get them on. Works every time. Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #40
Ross/Kzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob View Post
A great attention getter is to snap the gloves when you get them on. Works every time. Bob
Why, what does that remind you of?