Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
jkeesey

Default Time for a good rant

A customer of mine has a model A Shay piece of junk reproduction car. He has officially changed the title to read as a 29 Model A roadster. Supposidly that makes it worth more. Whats everyones thoughts... and GO!
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
willobs

Default Re: Time for a good rant

I have 2 As and 1 Shay, I like mine. We have 3 in our local club, at car shows they are well recieved. At the local Ft Myers Fl Edision/Ford quilt and Car show. The person dressed as Henry Ford thought a Grey Shay was the best car!
willobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeesey View Post
A customer of mine has a model A Shay piece of junk reproduction car. He has officially changed the title to read as a 29 Model A roadster. Supposidly that makes it worth more. Whats everyones thoughts... and GO!
He can't legally do that, and (I'm assuming the car is titled in PA), if PennDOT let him get away with it, they are a bigger bunch of idiots than I previously thought.

It is both dishonest and untrue.

As for "increasing the value of the vehicle", anyone who knows what it is will simply laugh, and those who don't deserve what they get.

( Yep, this one pushed my buttons ! )

SC Frank
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
Scott H in Wheaton

It ranks right up there with all the fiberglass bodied "Shelby" Cobra roadsters.
Does it increase the value?
Nope, you still have a plastic homemade kit car.
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
Fred
BANNED

Well, You said it first, & I will 2nd it !! "JUNK"
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
Sumfuncomet

What he did is illegal....that is the pure and plain truth of it. If you falsify a registration or title in my state that makes you a criminal! Not to mention a liar! He must be a real stand up guy!
Sumfuncomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I concur with others, ...the Shay actually came with a VIN and altering a vehicle's VIN is not just a local or state crime, that is Federal.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
jimalabam

Wonder if he realized that is a felony and subject to up to 10 years in prison, and a $10,000 fine. Shay is probably not worth the ten grand. Also as Terry meantioned, the Shay's vin does not resemble a '29 Ford number at all. Jim Langley...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I concur with others, ...the Shay actually came with a VIN and altering a vehicle's VIN is not just a local or state crime, that is Federal.

Yes, but if the MVA / DMV of the state this vehicle is titled in approved it, aren't they complicit ?!

I'm presuming that JKeesey's client is a PA resident, and PA is notoriously difficult and onerous to deal with... I'm surprised this one got past them...

It's just wrong.

This clown's heirs will "thank him" when they go to dispose of his estate and find they can't dump that Shay because it has a fraudulent title.

SC Frank
Old 12-31-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
jkeesey

He had the title created in New York and then transfered into Pa. the guy he paid to do it sent him a new vin plate to replace the old one with digits that match an original A, and SC Frank it was approved from our fantastic DMV. Just goes to show you how some people can get one over.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:32 PM   #11
jkeesey

Mean while i had to get a title for my actual original A jalopy from sheer dumb luck.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:19 PM   #12
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
He had the title created in New York and then transfered into Pa. the guy he paid to do it sent him a new vin plate to replace the old one with digits that match an original A, and SC Frank it was approved from our fantastic DMV. Just goes to show you how some people can get one over.

Well, he'd better hope he never get's pulled-over by any cop that actually knows anything about Model A Fords.

As I said, his heirs will "bless him" when they are trying to dispose of ( sell that "valuable antique" for big money ) the car, and find they have a title that does not match the vehicle.

I hope this guy is mercilessly abused by all he brags to about this stunt.

Some folks have more brass than brains...

Meanwhile, us guys who try to abide by the legal system have to jump through hoops...
Old 12-31-2012, 05:46 PM   #13
Rowdy
BANNED

How did he get a Pinto registered as a 1929 anything? I think the DMV where you are at needs to really have a hard look at this, but that is my opinion. I would much rather be seen in a rat rod than a Shay. Rod
Old 12-31-2012, 05:56 PM   #14
Purdy Swoft

NEW YORK CITY !!!!!!! Sombody get a rope!!! (insert smiley face)
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:28 PM   #15
bgarrett

I know a guy who knew nothing about old cars and bought a Shay. His title said Ford Model A and he believed it til I told him. He was not happy. He has no heirs
bgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:30 PM   #16
gweilbaker

Maybe he said it to ruffle your feathers, so what. There is value and it is what somebody wants to pay, maybe that someone has mobility issues and that is the easiest way to enjoy the A. Like it or not, Shays are part of automotive history, it fulfilled a need as there are certainly many of them out there. As for misrepresentation, that's very sad, but maybe the state needs the extra income, by issuing the title and giving citation.

Think about where else are there Pinto engine available, certainly not rusted away Pintos.

Your jalopy looks like fun.
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:15 PM   #17
5window

Well, he's not selling it and I sure as hell ain't buying it. So, as far as I am concerned, it's his problem and PennDot's.

Unless you want to squeal to PennDOT, I'd just let it drop. But, thanks for posting now. One of my 2013 resolutions is to stop getting excited over things like this so I'm glad to get it out of the way now.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:41 PM   #18
sawzall

nothing good can come of this.. SHAYME on him..
Old 12-31-2012, 09:42 PM   #19
BILL WILLIAMSON

NO! this ain't the DOG,
Why should anyone care what this guy registered his car as? Does any think there are not other replica/kit cars out "there" registered similar to the year the car represents? Many cars are registered under strange/unusual circumstances. Maybe you know of some?? Or maybe someone here has "FUNNY" registration STUFF on a car in your past?? I have a skeleton or two in my SORRID past!!
At least, the guy's payin' his "FEES" to keep the POTHOLES filled!! Bill W. (Buster T's Pet)
Wonder if I could register this sub-frame?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31 subframe.jpg (80.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 12-31-2012, 09:52 PM   #20
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Yes it will be worth more because some schmuck who does not know better will buy is as a "29 Model A roadster". Remember the Shay on ebay that the seller had it listed as a Model A and fought anyone that would say otherwise?

Now what really fries my ass is that we either know personally or have read here about fellow barners that have assembled a Model A from 90% original parts and cannot register it as the year the parts were made but this "winner" has no problems changing his title to something it is not!!!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 10:26 PM   #21
BILL WILLIAMSON

Call the POLEEEEEECE!------They'll go git him, that's their JOB, you know!! LOL-LOL-LOL! Bill W.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:21 PM   #22
stainless steve

you see them advertised all the time as(model As) not as a replica
but you know to each his own .I personally couldnt sleep at night knowing I miss represented something like that,so I would rather sleep.
the old adedge buyer beware fits nicely here
stainless steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:22 PM   #23
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainless steve View Post
you see them advertised all the time as(model As) not as a replica
but you know to each his own .I personally couldnt sleep at night knowing I miss represented something like that,so I would rather sleep.
the old adedge buyer beware fits nicely here
Me too!
Old 12-31-2012, 11:37 PM   #24
40 Deluxe

How about posting some info so we (anyone who so desires) can inform Pennsylvania authorities of this fraudulent (not one '29 Ford part on it), illegal (altered/forged VIN) activity? License plate number? It's in plain view on the car. Address? House number is in plain view, on the mailbox, no doubt. Street? It's on the street sign. Name? It's in the phone book.
If any of you unknowingly bought a car that had been flooded by Hurricane Sandy, you'd scream bloody mrder and be looking for that rope, right? How is this any different?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #25
CarlG

Not defending the actions above, but I have noticed that in some states, even a car that was built from scratch can be titled as whatever year the car "resembles".

Therefore, a Brookville roadster body on a TCI frame with an SBC engine 350 tranny with a Jag rear end, Vega front end can be titled as a '32 Ford Roadster, without a drop of Ford blood in it.

Last edited by CarlG; 01-01-2013 at 01:28 AM. Reason: spelling
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #26
Rowdy
BANNED

Carl, yes and no on that observation. In this state cars like what you discribe are supposed to be titled as an "Assembled Vehicle". However here is the way around it most use to build vehicles you disribe. The owner builds the car and gets a Bill of Sale from out of state. There are several title services out there that for $300 will send you one with all of the paperwork with basicly whatever info for year and number of cyl's etc. with the VIN numbers you provide them. Along with the Bill of Sale you also get a copy of the states statues from that state which shows a Bill of sale is all that is needed. Then when the builder goes to get a title the DMV types up the title as Original after it passes the VIN inspection. If the inspectors (Sherriffs Deputy's) went by the letter of the state law that uses the engine number only as the VIN for pre-1948 vehicles this would stop alot of them from getting Original titles. Not complaining, just saying how it is. Rod
Old 01-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #27
Fred
BANNED

MIKE, That was GREAT !!! How true it is !!... Maybe the "GURU OF S-IT" will buy it..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #28
lance leblanc

Many states have different laws obviously. But often cars are pieced together "I call it Frankinstiened" and serial numbers or vin. numbers (stamps, plates, and stickers) will be left on door jams and dash panels by someone who thinks that by doing so they are disclosing the true history of the vehicle. When in fact they are causing a tremindous headache down the road and possibly misleading others who check only one location for a number thinking that it is the true number that will identify the car.
I personally have had to resend auction sales after finding as many as 2 different vin #s on a truck neither of which matched the title.
I once even found a vin. plate atop the dash of a new (never sold or titled) truck that did not match the sticker on the door jam.
Never was able to figure that one out, my best guess was someone a the assembly plant was working after Happy Hour.
lance leblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #29
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
MIKE, That was GREAT !!! How true it is !!... Maybe the "GURU OF S-IT" will buy it..
Fred, Dog here,
"LIMITED VOCABULARY"??? Bill's laughin' silly! He's been called worse by friends and LAUGHED about it! Lighten up, Fred, life's SHORT.
Buster T.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #30
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Fred, Dog here,
"LIMITED VOCABULARY"??? Bill's laughin' silly! He's been called worse by friends and LAUGHED about it! Lighten up, Fred, life's SHORT.
Buster T.
I'm trying to lighten up!
If I loose 25 more pounds then I'll be able to slide under my Model A again.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 01-01-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote