Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #21
ceejay

Default Re: 33 Phaeton questions from Sri Lanka

Thanks Ted... oh yeah quite lucky that this car survived to date.

Ok so if the pull start is correct... now we have to figure out where the start pull would have originally been located.

The car still has what I would think is the original steering column drop.... the ignition switch and steering lock are long gone... the drop doesn't seem to have any hole that the starter pull may have been fitted in. So may be the starter pull was also on the dash ?
ceejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #22
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Ce Jay How did you come to find the 33 in a far away country .??did you live there ?

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #23
FlatheadTed

Yes the starter should be like the pickup (picture )

Old 11-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #24
ceejay

Lived here all my life Ted ... other than for the few years I was studying overseas.

I also have a 46 Buick 4 door, 58 Buick 4 door riviera and 60 Pontiac 4 door hard top ... as well as some British classics. All bought locally
Old 11-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #25
ceejay

This is a pic of a 33 dash just like mine (only mine is Right Hand Drive)
where on this dash would the start cable go ?
The 2 cables shown are stock... choke and throttle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_9933.jpg (55.4 KB, 42 views)
Old 11-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #26
FlatheadTed

I would say the starter should be at the Choke position and it would be moved to the farthest from the steering wheel ,Yo u have found a good source of old tin .

Old 11-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #27
ceejay

Noo Ted... Classics are VERY difficult to find here now and the few that are around, need total restoration are very very expensive to buy.. specially American classics.
We had a lot of British classics as we were under British rule in years gone by.
Also we are not allowed to import classics and a lot of our good classics were sent out in the past... I paid something like the equivalent of $ 46,000 for this Phaeton and it needs to be stripped to the bone and restored

Back to the starter pull... ok so starter should be the closer to the steering wheel and the choke further.... then where does the throttle pull go ? I have only seen photos of 33/34 dashs having 2 cables choke and throttle. If there should be a 3rd hole for the starter pull... i'm wondering how the 3 holes would have been positioned in the dash
Old 11-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #28
DavidG

ceejay,

I had a four-cylinder '34 roadster and the photos that I have of it would show the hole location you are asking about, but I am away from those photos for at least month (I no longer own the car). Perhaps Manuel in Paraguay can assist you in the meantime as he has a RHD '33 sedan that he is restoring (or you can ask him directly via a personal message to "Doctor's Ford" through this web site.)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #29
trulyvintage

Thumbs up Re: 33 Phaeton questions from Sri Lanka

Glad you found your way over from the HAMB ....

Great bunch of members here .....

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:14 AM   #30
FlatheadTed

Heres a shot of my RHD 33 Phaetons dash ,There are quiet a few extra holes in the dash that I think have been drilled .such as the ones right of the steering wheel .I think this was a v8 but not 100% sure ,maybe some one can verify by the body # .If so the holes would be the same as any 33/ 34 -8
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010001-6.jpg (59.7 KB, 42 views)

Old 11-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #31
ceejay

Thanks for the photo Ted.

There again, once you discount the drilled extra holes, there are only 2 original holes which are above and on either side of the ash tray in the center of the dash.

We still need to figure out where the starter cable would have been or if the starter was indeed operated by cable.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #32
DavidG

ceejay,

The two holes on either side of the ash tray (absent from your dash as it is a standard and present on Ted's as it is a deluxe) are for the choke and throttle controls. In the case of a V-8, both these controls were solid rods operating through color-coded rubber grommets in the dash (and through different black grommets where the rods pass through the firewall). In the case of a car with a four-cylinder engine, both the throttle and choke controls were cable operated and the ends of the cables' casings were attached to chrome-plated threaded ferrules that were attached to the dash with large hex nuts and lock washers. You likely know all that already.

Looking at the incomplete set of photos that I have in this computer, I would have to conclude that Ted's dash was originally used with a V-8 engine as none of the extra holes correspond to those in the dash from the four-cylinder RHD roadster that I had. (The problem remains that without my other photos, I cannot ascertain which of its extra holes corresponds to the starter control cable -- its extra holes being different from Ted's dash's extra holes).

I also have a '33 Ford of Canada chassis parts catalogue that lists both LHD and RHD parts, but alas, also not where I'm at.

Given that Ford of Britain produced four-cylinder engines at Dagenham, it is likely that given your engine number your engine was produced there with the rest of the car coming from Canada. That is the same engine sourcing pattern as was the case with operations in Australia at that time (four-cylinder engines from England and V-8s from Canada).

It is likely that your car was assembled in India as Ford of India had a modest assembly plant at that time to assemble KD kits from Canada. (We know that in the case of vehicles destined for Nepal that the those kits were only partially assembled as the pieces were all carried by bearers through the Himalayas and final assembly was performed by the dealer in Katmandu as there were no roads through the mountains at that time.)

Ceylon of course did not pose the same logistical challenge of being landlocked, like Nepal.

I realize that nothing above yet brings an answer to your basic question; sorry about that.

David
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #33
ceejay

David thank you so much for the very informative post !! your efforts are much appreciated !!
I have been inquiring from the "old hands" as to the history of this particular vehicle. As Sri Lanka is a small country and this is apparently the only 33 Ford here, the older generations tend to know the history of these cars from new.

It is said that this car in fact came from the USA as did my Right Hand Drive 46 Buick.

I have a 60 Pontiac, also right hand drive which is a Canadian car.

if only there was someone on here who had a Right Hand drive 33 or 34 Ford of any model... even a V8, it would be interesting to see how the starter was operated on those cars.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #34
deuce lover

To my knowledge the V8's all had the switch that bolted to the steering box with a rod that protruded through the floor between the brake & clutch pedals.Maybe the boys down under (NZ & Australia)will chime in as there must be a 4cyl there.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #35
ceejay

Deuce lover... thanks for your input !

I am very interested to work out this mystery now... the mystery of the method of operating the starter on a RHD car.

All would be well in the case of a LHD V8.. like you say, the rod protruding through the floor and you step on it, it pushes the switch on the starter and there you go !!

now move the steering box, pedals etc to the RIGHT hand side, keep the starter where it is, on the LEFT and you have a mystery ... how did they do it ??

Use the pull cable system or still use a foot press.... if its foot press, was the rod and press knob still on the LEFT hand side of the car or did they move it close to the driver.. if so, how ? .... very interesting
Old 11-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #36
Charlie Stephens

ceejay,

The Model A (1928-1921) had a rod through the floor that pushed on a switch mounted on the starter. The early '32 4 cylinder had the switch in the same location except it was activated by a pull cable (see first photo). The V8 used a switch (see second photo) that mounted on the steering box (the V8 starter was on the right side). Later 4 cylinder cars in '32 used the same switch as the V8 which was mounted on the steering box. Note that both of the photos are intended to show the switch, ignore other stuff in the photos. My guess, and it is definitely a guess since I have never owned a RHD 4 cylinder car, would be that Ford used the foot operated switch mounted on the steering box.

Charlie Stephens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7009.jpg (37.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7007.jpg (49.9 KB, 10 views)
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #37
deuce lover

ceejay Look at EBAY auctions 330817407337 32-34 V8 starter switch
370679410597 32 4 Cyl starter switch
You will see on the V8 the threads where the rod screw into.Hope this helps.Charlie beat me to it.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #38
ceejay

Thanks guys !!

The starter switch set up on my engine at the moment is exactly like Charlie's first photo.

So do we assume that it is the correct set up for my 33 RHD Model B ?? If yes, next question is where would the starter cable go on the dash ?

OR

should my car have the V8 style foot switch ? ... when the later 32 cars used the floor switch, did it use a different starter or the same starter just without any kind of switch attached to it ?

Since someone went to the trouble of fitting 1935 FORD 16" wire wheels to my 33 car, it is quite possible that they also fitted an earlier style pull starter when the original one broke .... which brings me to the question.... could the 16" wheels on my car be correct for it ?? did "export" cars have the option of 16" wheels ?
Old 11-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #39
FlatheadTed

My dash photo is a right hand drive as are all my cars ,All 33/34s were 17" wheels no 16" for export

Old 11-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #40
ceejay

Oh dear !! This means someone actually went to the trouble of sourcing later 16" Ford wheels and installing them on my 33 !! So they could have. Hanged anything else too.

Does anyone make new wire wheels for the 33/34 Ford ?

Iv seen new wheels almost identical to the stock 33 ford wheel. I think wheelvintiques does them is different sizes.
Is that the closes thing one can get to new wheels ?