Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
wrndln

Default Headlight reflector resilvering

Does anyone know a place that does headlight reflector resilvering at a reasonable price? I need a couple of sets resilvered and don't know any place that does that kind of work. I don't want to use repro reflectors.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Headlight reflector resilvering

The absoutle best method is to have it aluminized by Uviria Inc (expensive).

On the top of the Model A section is a thread,

Sticky: Model A/AA Ford Websites...Can YOU add to the list?"

This is a list of vendors recommended by us readers.

Silver
1. www.queencityplating.com Queen City Plating 425-315-1992 (Washington)
2. www.frankfordplatinginc.com Frankford Plating, Inc (Pennsylvania)
3. [email protected] Craig Riker 419-290-4442 (Ohio)
4.www.nu-chrome.com Nu-Chrome (Massachusetts)
5. No known website: Chidgey and Sons 619-441-2505 (California)
6. No known website: Uviria Inc. 541-956-6880 (Oregon)
Old 10-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
Elcastor

I had mine done at Chidgey and Sons as listed above. They are very nice people to do business with and know what they are doing. Highest recommendation!
Elcastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
1crosscut

I went with Craig Riker. He did a good job at a very reasonable price and I had them back in just a few days.
Dave
1crosscut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
juke joint johnny

I notice that some vendors say that silver plated reflectors will tarnish quickly . I have some original reflectors that have not been replated and they are still shiney after 80 years !! So my question is Did Ford use some clear coating on them to keep them shiney? Clear Lacquer maybe ? What should you clean them with ? silver polish seems to scratch, I use car wash soap and water

John Cochran

John Cochran
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
MikeK

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by juke joint johnny View Post
I notice that some vendors say that silver plated reflectors will tarnish quickly . I have some original reflectors that have not been replated and they are still shiney after 80 years !! So my question is Did Ford use some clear coating on them to keep them shiney? Clear Lacquer maybe ? What should you clean them with ? silver polish seems to scratch, I use car wash soap and water

John Cochran

John Cochran
Ford's reflectors were bare Silver plate. Silver turns black extremely quickly when exposed to Sulfur. In 'the day', burning high sulfur coal and oil was rampant, fumes of SO2 from every chimney and stove. Old formula gasoline gave off plenty of sulfur fumes, too. Today, with proper fitting headlamp gaskets reducing internal airflow you may only need to touch the silver job once a year or so. Ford used cork gaskets because vulcanized rubber contains sulfur and will blacken Silver instantly. Today there is virtually no actual vulcanized natural rubber. Back 'then' a reflector would be amber in a month or two from atmospheric Sulfur.

Some guys say using a fresh clean sheet of black & white newsprint is a good polishing cloth for reflectors. Of course they have to be washed, dried, and totally grit-free first. The linseed oil and carbon based ink makes a fine burnishing compound, removing far less base metal than most of the commercial silver polishes. It also leaves a micro-fine film coat of varnish from the oxidized linseed oil. It is not visible, but it reduces atmospheric interaction with the silver surface. You may want to try it on an old silver spoon first, if you can find one!
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #7
cabrioletgalaxie

Send your reflectors to Bert's Model A in Denver and he will send a pair back to you. He usually has them in stock. You just need to send a core. If you are looking for no dents or something of show quality you need to tell him and he'll try to pick out the best pair he has. TUrn around was quick when I did it.
When you get them back put a coat of Carnuba wax on them and that will protect it from tarnishing. I did mine about 4 years ago and they are still perfect.
cabrioletgalaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:32 AM   #8
juke joint johnny

Mike K
Thanks that explains it Those shiney reflectors were still in some original lights that haven't been exposed to any sulfur . I have seen those black marks all over the walls and chimneys in old industrial towns in Europe form the smoke in the old days!
John Cochran
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:47 PM   #9
Ted Duke

CORRECTION as of 2-17-2013 per phone conversation with Craig
Craig Riker
419-290-4442

[email protected]
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:59 PM   #10
29closedcab

Steve's auto restorations
29closedcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:33 PM   #11
spdway1

For the money, I would go with Bratton's own...
NEWLY TOOLED ALUMINUM 1 & 2 BULB HEADLIGHT REFLECTORS For Year(s): 28-31

Made from the original Ford prints. We have corrected the location of the center socket by moving it 1/16" off center, to allow you to correctly focus your headlights per the Ford service Bulletins. The word Top is stamped on the back of the gasket grove so you install the reflector correctly. The new reflector is aluminum plated, polished and sealed from the air. The aluminum finish has the same 92% reflection as the original silver plating, but silver will tarnish in a few months and your reflection will be reduced. The reflectivity of the cheap chrome reflectors is 65%, silver is 92% reflective, but reflectivity will diminish with in hours as tarnish and oxidation builds up on the surface. The sealed Aluminium process is 92% reflective and since it has been sealed it will maintain that 92% for many year to come. Minimum industry standard for headlight reflectors is 80%. Clean using a soft rag with soap and water. This is the one bulb style $89.95
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:06 PM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdway1 View Post
For the money, I would go with Bratton's own...
NEWLY TOOLED ALUMINUM 1 & 2 BULB HEADLIGHT REFLECTORS For Year(s): 28-31

Made from the original Ford prints. We have corrected the location of the center socket by moving it 1/16" off center, to allow you to correctly focus your headlights per the Ford service Bulletins. The word Top is stamped on the back of the gasket grove so you install the reflector correctly. The new reflector is aluminum plated, polished and sealed from the air. The aluminum finish has the same 92% reflection as the original silver plating, but silver will tarnish in a few months and your reflection will be reduced. The reflectivity of the cheap chrome reflectors is 65%, silver is 92% reflective, but reflectivity will diminish with in hours as tarnish and oxidation builds up on the surface. The sealed Aluminium process is 92% reflective and since it has been sealed it will maintain that 92% for many year to come. Minimum industry standard for headlight reflectors is 80%. Clean using a soft rag with soap and water. This is the one bulb style $89.95
Yes this is now the easiest way to go. When this thread was started in 2012 these were not available.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #13
peters180a/170b

I too used STEVE'S Auto restoration.... 5 years ago [ silvered and never needed to clean them] Not cheap but so far held up just fine.[maybe that's why they were not cheap ! ]
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote