Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-26-2012, 05:40 AM   #21
Ed Saniewski

Default Re: H&H engine re-builders

Well, thanks to all for posting, and the many P.M.'s I got. I tried searching past posts about H&H but found none, I am glad I asked. Three of our NJ club members have gotten rebuilds from Schwalms and had problems, one had to pull the engine and send it back. I will look around some more, thanks again, Ed Saniewski

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:59 AM   #22
ba49

Has anyone gotten one of the rebuilt engines fron Snyder's? Just wondered how they are? I will be in the market soon. Is there anyone in Ohio that does quality rebuilding?
ba49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:45 AM   #23
sturgis 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Saniewski View Post
Well, thanks to all for posting, and the many P.M.'s I got. I tried searching past posts about H&H but found none, I am glad I asked. Three of our NJ club members have gotten rebuilds from Schwalms and had problems, one had to pull the engine and send it back. I will look around some more, thanks again, Ed Saniewski

I that a Pete and Paul airplane in you avatar?

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:50 AM   #24
Loyd Nix

I would argue that a babbited engine with a balanced crank and lightened flywheel would hold up just fine. Maybe the cost ($1000) of the crank would nearly offset the work required for inserts.
Loyd Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:56 AM   #25
Ed Northrop

I have heard J&M Machine in MA is one of the best in model A and T engines. They rebuild all brands of antique engines.
Ed Northrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #26
Kevin - Illinois

Before going to Snyders I'd recommend Rich Falluca at Antique Engine Rebuilding in Skokie, Illinois. You will be very happy with his work!

http://www.antiqueenginerebuilding.com/
Kevin - Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #27
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Saniewski View Post
curious to know what kind of problems your club members had with their motors from schwalms.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #28
Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgis 39 View Post
Bert's Model "A" store sells insert engines for around $3500. I have not bought one and do not know if they do the work or have a supplier. I am not sure about the price. I thought my next engine would be an insert.
I heard they were an H&H dealer... But that's just what I heard.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #29
Rowdy
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Last I knew they had their own engine builder in house. It has been awhile since my last visit though. Rod
Old 09-26-2012, 08:21 AM   #30
Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
Last I knew they had their own engine builder in house. It has been awhile since my last visit though. Rod
That would make sense. I had just heard they were a dealer from someone when I was at the high country tour in 2009.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #31
denis4x4

Originally Posted by sturgis 39
"Bert's Model "A" store sells insert engines for around $3500. I have not bought one and do not know if they do the work or have a supplier. I am not sure about the price. I thought my next engine would be an insert."

Here's a B motor with babett and an original CRAGAR head built by Bert's Model A in Denver. They have a complete machine shop on the premises and very knowledgable people building engines. The engine is painted Ford blue at my request. Not as fast as a red engine, but certainly more performance than a green one!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02523.jpg (65.0 KB, 147 views)
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #32
John LaVoy

Terry is getting closer! I spoke with him the other day and they have him changing a couple of the molds but he thinks this may be the solution.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #33
John LaVoy

I have a Schwalms engine in the sedan with about 20,000 miles on it. No problems, no complaints.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #34
Cajun

I have seen both pro and con on H&H. I have a friend that had an H&H he used in Great Race rallies. He pushed the engine to it's limits. I was amazed that it stayed together. I had resolved that if I ever replaced my engine, I would go with H&H.

He had H&H rebuild the engine. It did not make it through this year's race. They are now off my list.

It is my opinion that Ron Kelley and Dennis Piranio in the Dallas area are the best. I am prone to use Dennis but both are very good.
Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #35
Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun View Post
I have seen both pro and con on H&H. I have a friend that had an H&H he used in Great Race rallies. He pushed the engine to it's limits. I was amazed that it stayed together. I had resolved that if I ever replaced my engine, I would go with H&H.

He had H&H rebuild the engine. It did not make it through this year's race. They are now off my list.

It is my opinion that Ron Kelley and Dennis Piranio in the Dallas area are the best. I am prone to use Dennis but both are very good.
I've seen to many Piranio engines come apart to even consider using him. I've seen more snapped cranks, and busted babbit come out of that shop than anywhere else. Jmho. He told a friend of mine "10,000 miles was a lot of miles to be putting on a babbit motor". This was after the friend of mine had already had 2 or 3 busted babbit problems in about 15000 miles on a Piranio motor.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #36
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun View Post
It is my opinion that Ron Kelley ... in the Dallas area (is) the best...
This is what I've heard as well.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #37
Cajun

I guess we all have different experiences. So far my engine rebuilt by Piranio is doing very well. I am running inserts etc. We use the car in Great Race and VCRA events and put 5000+/- miles a year on the car/engine. We run the engine hard using a 3500 RPM red line on all shifts (this is done to remain consistent in acceleration time in rallies)
Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #38
Jerry Parr WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin - Illinois View Post
Before going to Snyders I'd recommend Rich Falluca at Antique Engine Rebuilding in Skokie, Illinois. You will be very happy with his work!

http://www.antiqueenginerebuilding.com/
Seems like no one gets a clean bill of health. Rich did three engines for me. First one had a severely twisted rod and had to be completely redone. No charge but my labor and travel. Second has had two valve seats come out. Repaired myself. Third one still on the floor not used yet. These were done when he still did babbitt.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #39
Russ/40

Not my experience, but have an acquaintance who went to H&H and had a knock from day one, and never got any resolution from them. Problems happen, but you expect a fix from a reputable builder. He went the insert route with them.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #40
Jordan

I will be honest and say I am running an inserted engine from Rich in Illinois, and I had 2 problems (both piston related) on two separate occasions. I had to pull the engine both times, and had to send it back. Both times, rich payed for shipping & repairs even tho the motor was OUT OF WARRANTY. That is the sign of a good business person. If I were to need another engine, I would go back to him. If you want a motor that will outlive you, and that will be extremely reliable, Ron Kelley in Royce City, TX is an excellent option. He is more pricey than the other options, but he knows what he is doing and builds an excellent engine. I have never heard of anyone having a problem with his work.