Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #81
figment

Default Re: How come "Car Collectors" don't like Model A's?

If you were at the Auburn Indiana Auction Sept 1 & 2 you would have seen several people that really liked the Model A Ford. I have listed only the cars that SOLD over $15000.00. 30 Town sedan $36850 , 31 Roadster $33550 , another Roadster for $28600 , 28 Tow truck $27500 , 30 Sedan delivery $23925 , 31 Cabriolet $23100 , 29 Pheaton $20900. Plus more. www.auctionsamerica.com Check it out these Model A.s were original restorations NOT hot rods. This will probably start a reverse conversation!!
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #82
bart78

I love the cars stock or a traditional hot rod not street rod. I don't think they get the attention from the car collectors mainly because they are not a rare car. No matter how much we love them I think the model a and the model t will allways be seen this way. Even the small town I live in has a ton of them running around. And even more in barns and what ever else they can put them in.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #83
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment View Post
If you were at the Auburn Indiana Auction Sept 1 & 2 you would have seen several people that really liked the Model A Ford. I have listed only the cars that SOLD over $15000.00. 30 Town sedan $36850 , 31 Roadster $33550 , another Roadster for $28600 , 28 Tow truck $27500 , 30 Sedan delivery $23925 , 31 Cabriolet $23100 , 29 Pheaton $20900. Plus more. www.auctionsamerica.com Check it out these Model A.s were original restorations NOT hot rods. This will probably start a reverse conversation!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Best news I've heard in quite a while!!
That is good news. I seem to see more Model A's at events that have no judging. As the judges are hot rod guys they pass over a good looking A for a rod. We went to an event with over 300 cars. In our group there was a 1915 T Couplet. Past national award winner, made only a few months that year, by far the rarest stock vehicle there and not even a mention of it at award time.

They just don't know about these cars!

As for Jay Leno not having an A, I like to tell people that "with all the cars Jay has, he doesn't have one of these. Would you like to sit in it?"
Old 09-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #84
denis4x4

"That is good news. I seem to see more Model A's at events that have no judging. As the judges are hot rod guys they pass over a good looking A for a rod. We went to an event with over 300 cars. In our group there was a 1915 T Couplet. Past national award winner, made only a few months that year, by far the rarest stock vehicle there and not even a mention of it at award time."

Stock Model A's have trophied several times at the Scottsdale Goodguys rod and custom show in the fall. This is a three day show with over 2500 cars.
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #85
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post

As for Jay Leno not having an A, I like to tell people that "with all the cars Jay has, he doesn't have one of these. Would you like to sit in it?"

Good one !

From conversations in interviews with other car guys, I believe Jay has alluded to owning an A or two in his younger days, when he was still on the East Coast....

I'll bet he'll glom onto one sooner or later...

( I have to wonder though, if an A is just too tight for his, shall we say, "ergonomics" ? )

SC Frank
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #86
dmaxweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgarage View Post
Here is a racy mobility scooter Bill.

Four wheels, black fenders, big headlights and a rumble seat
dmaxweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:08 AM   #87
mach0415

A child has a pretty cool sense of pureness and objectivity, when it comes to the way they see things in life. When I was young (3years old), my grandfather recognized I had an uncanny eye and love for classic cars, especially from the 1920s and 1930s. We would sit and look at classic car calendar pics for long periods of time. From the time I was young, I had a love for A's, among the Durants, Desotos, Plymouths, Buicks, LaSalles, etc, the list goes on... So, I judge cars not by their color, but by the content of their character. A's have lots of character.

"We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful." -- By society, who is still arguing over who said it.
mach0415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:57 AM   #88
inex01

Most people where I live do have respect for the Model A. I live in a area close to DC and the majority of time at Cruise-Ins my old Model A is the car that people gather around. Last Saturday a guy shoed up with a new Mercedes Gullwing and guess what ? his car was hardly noticed, the week before a new red 330K Ferriera with 900 miles on it showed up and you guessed it most people paid more attention to my car. There are so fer cars that are stock in that are 80 plus years old and people seem to be much more interrested in seeing a real car that is completely stock that they can even sit in a have there picture taken. So I guess I am lucky as my old Model A does have respect even from the Mercedes & Ferriea owners. (Sorry for my poor spelling)
Old 11-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #89
Burb52

Real car people will appriciate any old car for something regardless of condition. Rat rods are becoming very popular because they are all different. Paint an A resale red, put a small block in it and now it becomes more useable, valuable and collectable.
Burb52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #90
dumb person

Think again.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #91
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb52 View Post
Real car people will appriciate any old car for something regardless of condition. Rat rods are becoming very popular because they are all different. Paint an A resale red, put a small block in it and now it becomes more useable, valuable and collectable.
Unfortunately it is not an A anymore. It is a nothing car that is mostly a Model A.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #92
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by inex01 View Post
Most people where I live do have respect for the Model A. I live in a area close to DC and the majority of time at Cruise-Ins my old Model A is the car that people gather around. Last Saturday a guy shoed up with a new Mercedes Gullwing and guess what ? his car was hardly noticed, the week before a new red 330K Ferriera with 900 miles on it showed up and you guessed it most people paid more attention to my car. There are so fer cars that are stock in that are 80 plus years old and people seem to be much more interrested in seeing a real car that is completely stock that they can even sit in a have there picture taken. So I guess I am lucky as my old Model A does have respect even from the Mercedes & Ferriea owners. (Sorry for my poor spelling)
Chuck,
Whut pore spelin'?? You did GOOD!! Bet u could spel Ugo, Wipit, (not the dog) Tyota, Toyoput, Shevrolet, Opul, Staaar, LuLu, (only 2 made, honest!), Gogogomobile, and Citron, (Not the puckery melon growin' in the cotton!)
We should all trie to git our grammur as guud as yore spellin,' then wee'd be off-A-RUNNIN'!
Speakin' of RESPECT, I dont get No respect, except frum my DOG! I bought 2 NEW kordless fones, with long lastin' Mercury Iodine Batterys, & nobuddy calls!! I dont even no what the RING TONE sounds like. Cindy, bless her heart, got me a new POCKET phone, but I lost my OOGAH ringer from the old phone, DRATS! that sucker cost me $1.99, bought it on the NET with PLASTIC, thot I'd have to wait for U.P.S, but they just "ZAPPED" it to my fone so's I didnt hav to pay shipping.
Cindys I-POD "listened" to the music playin' in Pepa's Metcican Resturant while we dinned, she pushed a button, the I-POD "named that tune," named the Band, showd a pic, (IN COLOR) of the band & where u could buy it with "PLASTIC" on the NET!! AMAZIN'!------bUT DON'T WURRY, i'VE MASTERED all THU cONTROLS ON vERMIN, mY '29 Koupe! See, I CAN be SERIUS! Bill W.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:11 AM   #93
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
Unfortunately it is not an A anymore. It is a nothing car that is mostly a Model A.
Don't forget that it is not collectable or more valuable nor usable, who comes up with that myth? Who can afford to fuel a thing like that? If they were usable i would see the fibreglass one i see around being used more.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #94
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgarage View Post
wtf?
Ditto. Maybe to much ex-lax.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #95
rosenkranswa

We have a nice "spread" of pre-war Fords - Model T, A, and early V8. Purely observational, but the old car folks tend to be a little nicer than the customs and rodders. Within the old car folks the "true" classic folks - high end stuff - are a mixed bag of snobs and good people. T folks tend to have more fun, A and early V8 are a bit more serious, but generally very good folks.

We had our '42 Tudor at a WWII event yesterday, had a wonderful time - lots of very good and thoughtful questions from young and old alike. One fellow was looking for a '37 to '41 car but thought the Fords would be too expensive. He mentioned that all his buddies were into rods and customs and he had been to several rod and custom shows which he found appalling between the language and the backbiteing. Went to one pre-war only show and had the opposite experience.

Bottom-line I think is that there are good people everywhere, and there are stinkers too. The media tends to focus on the stinkers, they're what sell ad time.

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer
'43 M3A4 Hand Cart
'43 Harley Davidson 42WLA with sidecar
rosenkranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #96
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlegend View Post
Ditto. Maybe to much ex-lax.
Double Ditto but some people try to make themselves look better at somebodys else expense ! Or maybe that should be sumbuddies !
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #97
spike31

Thank God Model A's are common, reasonably priced, and not a staus symbol. I'm one of those hard working common men that would never have been able to enjoy this wonderful hobby had it not been for Model A's. It took me 32 years to build mine, one dollar at at a time.
spike31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #98
Tinbasher

The funny thing is, most collectors started with a Model A!! That's the experience I've found over the last 35 years. Just have some fun, life's too short.

The Old Tinbasher
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #99
lance leblanc

Being in the auction business, it allows me the oportunity to sit in and sometimes drive many rare and not so rare cars and customs, restored and original. I've driven a Chip Foose built '39 roadster and an unrestored completely original '29 Ponitac Sedan, dozens of Corvettes, Mustangs, Customs, Muscles, Italians, Trucks and an Amphicar. But time and again it is the original cars (not just As) that are drivers that create the buzz and excitement.
My A is not ready for Touring yet but this past weekend I drove a friends Four Door on a 180 mile trip and the reaction from the people watching the car go by is one reason why I love my A.
"I never had anyone stand on the side of the road and clap as I drove my '69 SS Chevelle by".
lance leblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #100
ronn

I am smiling at this thread- have several different cars and a couple of A's in the lot. I am reading
how inexpensive A's are. Well, last year I decided I wanted a towncar and hadn't a clue as to their rarity and cost. Started a thread on it as a matter of fact....
Well, I ended up buying a 31 Pierce Arrow for about a 10th of the cost of a true A towncar.
Sometimes things are inverse as to what they seem....
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote