Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #41
WTSHNN

Default Re: How come "Car Collectors" don't like Model A's?

I'll be honest, I think a lot of people in this thread are selling the Model A Hobby short and putting down an important segment of hobbyists.

Yes, the Model A hobby is primarily comprised of every day, run of the mill, middle class people. I am one of them, but there are some tremendous people involved in the Model A hobby that transcend the stereotype. I guess it all depends on what your definition of a "snob" or a 1%'er boils down to. Many of the people who some would consider "snobs" are probably still, every day, run of the mill people.

Did you know there is a US Congressman who is very big into Model A's?

Andy Griffith just passed away and was a huge fan of the A's.

Did you know that a very well known Model A enthusiast was also a doctor for NASA during the 60's? He was part of the team for John Glenn's mission and some of the later Apollo missions. Those who know this man will tell you he is one of the nicest and most genuine people you'll ever meet.

There are a lot of doctors who you'll see at Model A events who you would never know it based on their overalls and well-worn A's.

There are millionaires and people toeing the poverty line who are united together because of the car. I studied this at length back in college when I used MARC as a study of voluntary leisure organizations and the socio-economic differences of the membership. A lot of things came up (it was a 50 page thesis for God's sake) that many people might not have considered.

There are people from every walk of life involved in Model A's. Why I got into Model A's is different than why anyone else got involved in them. Why I got into Model A's and not rat rods, Chevelles, crotch-rockets or any other kind of car is no different than why the people who enjoy those types of vehicles aren't into Model A's.

So, just think the next time you see a Model A, maybe you are actually talking to a snob...
-Tim
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #42
29ModelA

Bah, you guys have lost the focus on what we really should be arguing.

My Model A looks like a pile of poo compared to most of yours, but I parked it next to a restored 30/31 Chevy and I still got more attention. So we may not be better than a Deusey (even in horrible shape), but we are still better than a Chevy!

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #43
Great Lakes Greg

Seems to me that there is a chapter of the VMCCA, (Veteran Motor Car Club of America), that is called the "Nickle Age Group". The cut off date is 1927 just in spite of the Model A. Luckily, and I expect much to they're angst, the Model T owners can still join.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #44
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Lakes Greg View Post
Seems to me that there is a chapter of the VMCCA, (Veteran Motor Car Club of America), that is called the "Nickle Age Group". The cut off date is 1927 just in spite of the Model A. Luckily, and I expect much to they're angst, the Model T owners can still join.
That's great........then I can still join with my 1927 Dodge

Anyone want to buy a 1927 Dodge
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #45
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
only a snob, would drive a '27 Dodge
I have yet to drive it! That's why it's for sale. It does have class though with those beautiful wood spoked wheels.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #46
Chris H

I believe that another reason that the collectors turn their collective noses up at the Model A is that they are very basic, no frills cars, when compared with the other cars being collected and restored. They still turn heads and get smiles from people.

I recently drove my Model A in to work, a few weeks ago, and had to drive through areas of the city that are not the best parts of town. I have been driving down those same streets for 38 years and have never had anyone wave or smile at me as I drove through. On this particular day, though, I counted at least 6 people that waved, came out and watched, or pulled up and asked questions. People just like seeing them, running on the streets, hearing them ticah tucah along...it brings out the best in them. Maybe inspires old memories...what ever, they enjoy them and I enjoy them too.

Chris
Chris H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #47
cpetku

So let's hijack this a little,

How many blow the horn just for fun when driving an A?

I've found that the snob(?) vehicles in parades just drive on by with the crowd talking and pointing. When I go by in the A I give the crowd a honk and they get off on it. Having a friend in the Rumble seat gets people talking as well.

One good AhhhhOOOOGaa and everyone smiles...
cpetku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #48
29ModelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpetku View Post
So let's hijack this a little,

How many blow the horn just for fun when driving an A?

I've found that the snob(?) vehicles in parades just drive on by with the crowd talking and pointing. When I go by in the A I give the crowd a honk and they get off on it. Having a friend in the Rumble seat gets people talking as well.

One good AhhhhOOOOGaa and everyone smiles...
I do for little kids that are staring at it as I go down the street.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #49
LukeDahlinger
BANNED

Tim makes good points in his post.

Alot of my customers have numerous cars of varying makes. Most have at least one Model A in the fleet.

The people who look down on a Model A are most likely jealous that an A Model can do anything asked of it and their fancy Packards and V-16 Cadillacs stay in the garage for fear of breaking down.

I drive some rather expensive cars at my day job from AMG Mercedes to Ferraris to M series BMW's and none of those break the ice better than my Model A (or 50s cars for that matter). It's a built in defense mechanism against snobbery. You have 2 equally good looking girls standing next to each other. One is wearing jeans and a t-shirt, the other in a high dollar outfit with her neck stiff and nose in the air wearing more gold & diamonds than Tiffany. Which one would you talk to?

The Model A evens out the social classes. I get a real kick out of a guy who owns a Ferrari Enzo saying he'd like to take my Model A for a spin.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #50
Napa Skip

In whatever car show our club participates, one of our older members (which in our club means very old) goes out of his way to ask the kids if they want to sit in his roadster and blow the horn. After about the first 10 minutes of this, Milt's car is surrounded by moms, dads and little kids eagerly waiting to sound the horn and have their picture taken. I suspect Milt gets as big a kick out of this as do the kids, but one thing's for sure; at the end of the day I know which car the kids remember...
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:34 AM   #51
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

Collectors sit in their garage and admire their cars. I restored my
31 Model A to drive. Whenever I take the A for a ride I always meet great people and have a ball driving it. I'll take the road thanks.
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:01 AM   #52
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

I find that the pluses far out weigh the minuses. Driving to the shows, or just to the
store never fails to put a smile on someone's face. As for the snobs----they are not on my radar.

Jack
Old 09-14-2012, 06:53 AM   #53
trulyvintage

Thumbs up TV is not Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
Who cares what other people think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalplanedoc View Post
+1 to that.
Agreed ....

TV is not reality - neither is the internet

The real world has many roads in it

Most folks on this forum choose to drive a Ford on em'

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #54
denis4x4

I find it interesting that a lot of posters here are using reverse snobbery to justify A ownership.

Since we're into generalizations, I think that the 99%'ers lack a sense of humor!
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #55
Christoph

People in the streets are allways excited to find a pre-WW2 car
driving arround, as this is rare (less survivors over here).
People dont care if its a Duesenberg or an "A".

It really makes my day if i go on a 3rd class street and some animal
spot the A, turn arround and watch the car as long as it can.
Its happens so often and i would give all to know what
the animal "thinks" by than (no matter of sound- the A is calm)
Christoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:06 AM   #56
29ModelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napa Skip View Post
In whatever car show our club participates, one of our older members (which in our club means very old) goes out of his way to ask the kids if they want to sit in his roadster and blow the horn. After about the first 10 minutes of this, Milt's car is surrounded by moms, dads and little kids eagerly waiting to sound the horn and have their picture taken. I suspect Milt gets as big a kick out of this as do the kids, but one thing's for sure; at the end of the day I know which car the kids remember...
I let kids crawl all around my CJ2A if I am standing there, If the kids ask their parents first.

I will do the same with the A when we get an interior in it so they can't get tetnus One of the perks if showing a mostly original car that there isn't much paint left.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #57
Tom in SW VA

I think one of the major problems that Model A's are not acccepted in the fact that they are in various degrees of restoration and/modification. I own a fine-point Fordor which I feel is a good candidate as a classic car. The restoration was not cheap, but with today's attitude toward the Model A, I will never realize any monetary return. On the other hand, those who chose to chop, channel, and otherwise modify the Model A, actually demean the car. If the Model A Ford is to ever obtain classic status, the originality must be maintained. How many chopped and channeled Packards or Duesenburgs have you seen?
Tom in SW VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #58
Roadster62

You've explained the same observation I got from the original post better than I could. Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
I find it interesting that a lot of posters here are using reverse snobbery to justify A ownership.

Since we're into generalizations, I think that the 99%'ers lack a sense of humor!
Old 09-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #59
Brobrian

One more thought on this topic. The question was about the preferences of car collectors. By nature they'd be after rare valuable cars in the same way art collectors would be after rare valuable art. Some for the status, some for the investment return, and maybe because of the aesthetic appeal. Also, most of our discussion has related to car shows where collectors "show" their rare wares. Maybe model A's don't fit that demographic for the reasons already sited in this thread. Like a lot of you, I like the cars, and they are the coolest car I can afford.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #60
gweilbaker

Dennis, You have nailed it.
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote