Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-15-2011, 01:06 PM   #21
FL&WVMIKE

Default Re: Champion 3X Spark plug drawings and pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick So. Cal. View Post
Great collection of Champion plugs. Maybe some new info will come of them.

Dick
Dick So. Cal. .........................
I surely hope so !
I didn't, actually, collect all these spark plugs. I, kind of, stumbled into them. Years ago, I was "picking" an old building that had been part of a junk yard, that had closed a little after WWII. I "rescued" about half a bushel of three piece, brass top spark plugs. Most of them were V8 Flathead plugs. Back during the Depression, a lot of people had to go to junk yards, to buy their spark plugs. I had separated them by number, but had not cleaned them. I spent a couple hours cleaning these, one day, and a bit of time organizing and photographing them for this thread, the next day.
I'm sure hoping for more information !
The old shipping case, I bought at a farm auction, in West Virginia years ago, for a little of nothing.
Thanks,
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:19 PM   #22
FL&WVMIKE

Does anyone have a chart, or know of someone, who might have a Champion Spark Plug Company Chart that would list these plugs ?
MIKE
Old 11-16-2011, 11:09 PM   #23
FL&WVMIKE

I am concluding that NOBODY can offer any information on these odd "A" Model plugs.
Is that right ?
MIKE
Old 11-16-2011, 11:21 PM   #24
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
I am concluding that NOBODY can offer any information on these odd "A" Model plugs.
Is that right ?
MIKE

A Champion catalog from the era would should provide the usage possibilities. Unfortunately that has not been on my priority list so I still don't have one.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:12 AM   #25
RonC

Quote:
Is that right ?
MIKE

Mike ,

Champion made and makes plugs for probably every manufacturer's equipment applications. Some of the supply references from Champion to Ford with plugs other than the X, 3 and 3X plugs used on the T's and A's could have been for Ford's experimental use and also for other Ford engines such as tractors and airplane engines etc.

Try the spark plug collectors of america. I'm sure someone there has information on early champion plugs and applications. www.spcoa.net
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #26
Fred
BANNED

[QUOTE=FL&WVMIKE;308284]I am concluding that NOBODY can offer any information on these odd "A" Model plugs.
Is that right ?
MIKE
As stated, In your pictures, You only have three Plugs that were used by FORD in the Model "A".. Just because the others may fit the hole, that does NOT make them Original to the MODEL A AA.. Many other Co. also made plugs that could be used also, just like today...
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #27
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

There seems to me be be a couple different things here.

1) Plugs that were installed at Ford when the cars were built.
2) Plugs that would fit the Model A during the time the cars were built.
3) Plugs that were\are available that fit the Model A.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #28
FL&WVMIKE

[QUOTE=Fred;308400]
Quote:
Is that right ?
MIKE
As stated, In your pictures, You only have three Plugs that were used by FORD in the Model "A".. Just because the others may fit the hole, that does NOT make them Original to the MODEL A AA.. Many other Co. also made plugs that could be used also, just like today...
FRED ...................
What do you have that explaines the "FORD" and "FORD-A" spark plugs in the "A" Model size ?
MIKE
Old 11-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #29
RonC

The "Ford A" plug means it fits the Model A Ford. Probably a 3X plug sold in stores during or after the Model A production years. The fact of it's existance does not prove it was used by Ford during production. I would think the fact that it states "Ford A" would versus 3X would make me believe it was intended for sale to the general public.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #30
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
The "Ford A" plug means it fits the Model A Ford. Probably a 3X plug sold in stores during or after the Model A production years. The fact of it's existance does not prove it was used by Ford during production. I would think the fact that it states "Ford A" would versus 3X would make me believe it was intended for sale to the general public.
RonC .............................
I have a feeling that you are right about this. The plugs marked, "FORD" or "FORD A", would make it easy for the every day guy, to know that he had the correct spark plug for his Model "A" Ford.
Surely, there must be some advertising on these, out there somewhere.
Thanks,
MIKE
Old 11-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #31
Fred
BANNED

[QUOTE=FL&WVMIKE;308534][QUOTE=Fred;308400]

FRED ...................
What do you have that explaines the "FORD" and "FORD-A" spark plugs in the "A" Model size ?
MIKE The ones you show in the pictures are "NOT" in the Model "A" size, or even close.. Those cores will "NOT" even fit in the correct Model "A" 3X base assy..
Old 11-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #32
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
RonC .............................
I have a feeling that you are right about this. The plugs marked, "FORD" or "FORD A", would make it easy for the every day guy, to know that he had the correct spark plug for his Model "A" Ford.
Surely, there must be some advertising on these, out there somewhere.
Thanks,
MIKE
If the every day guy put the plugs you show in his Model "A" he would "NOT" have the correct plug in it.. As stated, Just because they FIT does not make it the right ones..
Old 11-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #33
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
If the every day guy put the plugs you show in his Model "A" he would "NOT" have the correct plug in it.. As stated, Just because they FIT does not make it the right ones..
FRED ................
What RonC and I were refering to, is during the days of every day driving of the "A" Model Ford. The guy, needing new plugs for his "A", would not care if they were "correct" of not.
MIKE
Old 11-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #34
Fred
BANNED

[QUOTE=FL&WVMIKE;308576]FRED ................
What RonC and I were refering to, is during the days of every day driving of the "A" Model Ford. The guy, needing new plugs for his "A", would not care if they were "correct" of not.
MIKE [ RIGHT, ????????
Old 11-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #35
Ian in Mississauga

I'm fascinated by this thread, especially after Mike's pictures. I have been searching high and low for a booklet I knew I had from Champion. Alas, it doesn't list all their plugs, it only lists all cars and taxis made in the USA from 1920 to 1950 and the appropriate Champion plug in the day plus the modern [1974] equivalent.e.g. C = W14, C-1 = W18 etc. It appears that no other car maker used 3X except Ford but there are dozens of applications for C-4.
Ian in Mississauga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #36
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian in Mississauga View Post
I'm fascinated by this thread, especially after Mike's pictures. I have been searching high and low for a booklet I knew I had from Champion. Alas, it doesn't list all their plugs, it only lists all cars and taxis made in the USA from 1920 to 1950 and the appropriate Champion plug in the day plus the modern [1974] equivalent.e.g. C = W14, C-1 = W18 etc. It appears that no other car maker used 3X except Ford but there are dozens of applications for C-4.
That is just what I & others have been saying all along, But he thinks just because they FIT, they are correct !!! "NOT"
Old 11-17-2011, 04:32 PM   #37
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
That is just what I & others have been saying all along, But he thinks just because they FIT, they are correct !!! "NOT"
FRED ...................
I don't know where you get any of your information. Especially, where, you stated that I think they are correct, just because they fit. ???????
Please state your sorce of information in any future posts.
Thank you,
MIKE
Old 11-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #38
mot

champion 3s were used before the model A They added the X for the model As
champion made spark plugs for all cars
for example the 3s were used in Cunninghams,Stewarts,clevelands,Dodges,Marmons,Mit chells,Rollins,Oaklands,
Stars,Ajax,etc
they do not list the ones with ford script in this chart
tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-001S.JPG (38.7 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-002S.JPG (30.8 KB, 130 views)
mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #39
Marco Tahtaras

I'm surprised this thread is still active!

Ok, I'll add a little more. If you study the plugs you will find the Champion 3 and 3X you will find the only difference is the markings on the porcelain. I don't know but suspect the 3X was a Ford exclusive. It was certainly marketed strictly for the Ford car (four cylinder) at least into 1932. The Champion 3 was marketed for all other cars and trucks that required the same plug. Both Ford and Champion had a lot at stake in maintaining market share of service parts for more than 4.5 Million Model A's put on the road. The 3X plug was a marketing distinction. There was no other purpose in creating a special marking for the already existing Champion 3.

For some reason folks seem to think just because a plug will screw into a Model A head it must be for a Model A! There were thousands of different makes and models of cars and trucks built in the 20's and early 30's that required spark plugs.

Anyone out there that has era catalogs (1929-32) with usage listings of Champion plugs should be able to add to, or correct what I've said here.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #40
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
FRED ...................
I don't know where you get any of your information. Especially, where, you stated that I think they are correct, just because they fit. ???????
Please state your sorce of information in any future posts.
Thank you,
MIKE
Mike,

If I am not mistaken, I do not believe Fred said such a thing (Did you Fred?)...I think Fred is refering to someone else (Were you not Fred)?????

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote