Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-16-2011, 06:44 AM   #21
trulyvintage

Thumbs up New Old School

Nice Thread

Glad to see there are still folks doing

New Old School

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:59 AM   #22
Wick

Default Re: My Latest Haul and Collection thus Far

Very good Find! I enjoyed seeing the progress your making and hope to see more as it comes along.
Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:52 AM   #23
Model A Fan

OKAY, so today/this evening, my roommate and I got much of the chassis assembled.

Started around 6PM and finished around 10PM with what we did.

All we accomplished tonight was:

1. Mount axles and the springs to the frame
2. Mount engine to the Float-a-Motor (WORST INSTRUCTIONS EVER!)
3. Lose tools in the driveway
4. Clean the garage enough to get the whole shebang into the garage

Tomorrow will be mount radiator, install new water pump, mount radiator shroud and all of the hosery and brake shafts...

It turns (pushed it to the road to spin it around and nose it in to mount engine. I am very tired as I had a Chinese test at 10AM this morning and then found this frustrating.

I will post photos once I find my battery charger. I would have taken photos of it in progress, but my battery was dead.

Hopefully you like what you (will eventually) see!
Model A Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:09 AM   #24
Pilotdave

Way to go! We are all waiting to see some pictures once you've had some sleep and recharged your batteries (yours and the camera's).
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:14 AM   #25
Model A Fan

So, I got the engine, axles, and torque tube mounted. I have been fiddling around with the gas "pedal" but the spring is not very springy, so I am going to have to replace that. I have to hook up the carb controls, and then still put gaskets into the U-joint housing, and then grease it up. I've ordered some parts that are coming soon, so when I get a break from school and work, maybe I'll be able to put it together!

Hope you enjoy the pics!

Old 10-21-2011, 08:13 AM   #26
1931 flamingo

Thanks for sharing. Interesting that those pictures are replicated all across this country and other continents. Wonder how many abandoned projects there are that nobody knows about??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #27
TinCup

There is actually a rear mount for the float a motor kit. There will never be an easier time to replace that accelerator spring. If you try doing it once you have the car together you will know what I mean. Thanks for posting your project and good luck with those lost tools
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:35 AM   #28
Mike

Nice job so far but if I can say SLOW DOWN PAINT THAT ENGINE, TRANS, REAR AND FRONT END
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #29
Farrell In Vancouver

Before you start this engine.............remove the grease nipple acting as a plug in the intake. I'd bet you'll create enough vaccum to lift the ball off its seat and create a leak. Try a nice brass plug instead.
Good work and carry on but don't forget your other "studies"
Cheers!
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #30
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Nice job so far but if I can say SLOW DOWN PAINT THAT ENGINE, TRANS, REAR AND FRONT END
Looking great. Guess I will have to side with Mike on this subject of painting. Now is a good time to get it done before you get much more stuff on the rig.

Thanks for posting the pictures.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #31
Model A Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Thanks for sharing. Interesting that those pictures are replicated all across this country and other continents. Wonder how many abandoned projects there are that nobody knows about??
Paul in CT
Well, I am working hard to make sure it doesn't turn into a dilapidated project forgotten in time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCup View Post
There is actually a rear mount for the float a motor kit. There will never be an easier time to replace that accelerator spring. If you try doing it once you have the car together you will know what I mean. Thanks for posting your project and good luck with those lost tools
I couldn't figure out how to mount it and the instructions included with the Float-A-Motor kit were terrible. Really, it does not show/say how you're supposed to do it. Extremely frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I have three cans of Ford Motor Green on its way... As for the axles and whatnot, I like the patina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrell In Vancouver View Post
Before you start this engine.............remove the grease nipple acting as a plug in the intake. I'd bet you'll create enough vaccum to lift the ball off its seat and create a leak. Try a nice brass plug instead.
Good work and carry on but don't forget your other "studies"
Cheers!
Yeah, I was looking at that last night and wondering why there was a grease fitting there. What would the proper plug look like? If I want to run a vacuum line I assume this would be where it goes? A vacuum line for what though? As for the other studies...yeah, they are taking all of my time it seems. I am trying to maintain my sanity by doing something other than Chinese and English grammar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
Looking great. Guess I will have to side with Mike on this subject of painting. Now is a good time to get it done before you get much more stuff on the rig.

Thanks for posting the pictures.
Glad you saw them! I just got them uploaded last night as I finally found my charger in a duffel bag under my bed from when I went on vacation...in July. I guess I need to clean more often?

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone!
Old 10-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #32
Bill O'Brien

Talking Re: My Latest Haul and Collection thus Far

Make a Speedster!!!! Nice work so far!!!

Consider doing a high compression head while you are doing all of this work.
Bill O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #33
Model A Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O'Brien View Post
Make a Speedster!!!! Nice work so far!!!

Consider doing a high compression head while you are doing all of this work.
I actually have another 1929 engine that I have considered doing a speedster project with...whenever this one gets done and I feel as though I have too much time on my hands.

As for the high compression head, I just can't afford it, the basic parts and to save for my teaching abroad (if that still pans out). If I end up not going abroad, I guess I will have plenty of Model A funding...

I have ordered a new gasket set so I may be pulling this thing apart more than I anticipated/wanted...

How does one usually paint an engine without dismantling it completely? I don't really have the shop space to do that right now...you can probably see the clutter in my garage, and on top of that, one of my roommates moved in and brought a bunch of stuff for the garage.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #34
Fred K-OR

"Yeah, I was looking at that last night and wondering why there was a grease fitting there. What would the proper plug look like? If I want to run a vacuum line I assume this would be where it goes? A vacuum line for what though? As for the other studies...yeah, they are taking all of my time it seems. I am trying to maintain my sanity by doing something other than Chinese and English grammar.."

I am not sure but I think the plug is just a 1/4 plug you can buy from any hardware store. If I am wrong, please someone else get me squared away.

The hole is for a vacuum line that would go to your windshield wiper or could be used for other things-like a horn, etc.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:38 PM   #35
Bill O'Brien

Wink Re: My Latest Haul and Collection thus Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Fan View Post
How does one usually paint an engine without dismantling it completely? I don't really have the shop space to do that right now...you can probably see the clutter in my garage, and on top of that, one of my roommates moved in and brought a bunch of stuff for the garage.
Painting the engine is easy. I did it in a full car! Remove all of the peripherals to the engine. (Starter,generator, distributor, manifolds, oil tube, head nuts, timing cover bolts, valve cover bolts..etc) I sanded everything by hand. I used medium to fine foam sanding blocks that you can buy in Home Depot. You can either vacuum up the dust or used comressed air to prep. Then wipe everything down with rubbing alcohol. A good coat of priner will be a nice base for the Ford paint.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #36
Bill O'Brien

Link to the thread on what I did..... pics of engine painting also.

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8958
Old 10-22-2011, 04:39 AM   #37
Model A Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O'Brien View Post
Link to the thread on what I did..... pics of engine painting also.

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8958
I was contemplating popping the engine back out of the frame and just painting it in pieces. Is it possible to pull it apart and paint the different pieces without having to completely disassemble it? I would like to freshen up the intake and exhaust manifolds too. What did you use to do that? High heat paint? Wire brush?

It looks really nice! I also have to change the oil and put a new seal in it. I have 5 new quarts of 10w30 oil and ZDDP for the oil. If I pour Mystery Marvel Oil into the spark plug holes, where does it end up going?

Anything else I should do before I try to start it up? I'll be ordering the bits for the starter soon. What are the silver spring loaded arms connecting the little arms on the steering column called? Any diagrams of how the engine should be configured? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Is it a pain to remove the distributor?

Thanks everyone! I'll keep the progress reports coming now that I found my charger.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #38
Fred K-OR

If you can remove the distributor, it would be good to pour some oil (regular oil) down the hole before you start the engine. If after taking out the bolt thing (on the right side of the motor) right below the distributor, you should be able to pull the distributor out. If not, I see there is a tool you can buy that is suppose to take it out.

It looks like Bill had a good way to paint the engine. Where you are now in your assembly process, it would seem like his method should work so you would not have to pull the engine again.

I just used a rattle can of hi-temp paint on the exhaust manifold and the engine paint on the intake. Don't know if this is the "official" thing to do but I liked the results.

"What are the silver spring loaded arms connecting the little arms on the steering column called? Any diagrams of how the engine should be configured? I can't seem to find them anywhere"

Do you mean the "control rods" that connect the spark lever to the distributor and the one for the gas? If so, based on what you show in one of your pictures above, it looks like you only need the one going from the steering column to the distributor (the long one) and to the gas. If you happend to have Sacramento Ford Cat, it is on page 139. MAC's, page 89.

Last edited by Fred K-OR; 10-22-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #39
Bill O'Brien

High temp primer and the Ford paint from Snyders. I would remove anything you can. The final product will look that much nicer!! Definitely remove the intake and exhaust manifolds. I had my exhaust maniful Jet Hot coated. Quite expensive at $300 but it will last for decades.

You can use a wire brush if you have scaley paint and rust. The foam sanding blocks work quite well for the final sanding.

The distributor is SIMPLE to remove. Be sure before you reinstall it to throughly clean the small 'locator' hole to prevent any issues.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:51 PM   #40
Model A Fan

Just placed my final orders today and all parts should be here in a week or so! I have another batch coming within a day or two...

I'm excited and once I get to work on it, I will post more photos of the progress!