Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-24-2011, 09:12 PM   #41
Jack 34pu

Default Re: EGGE pistons hitting EAB heads??

Hey Ol' Ron and other builders,

Just got back from MD taking care of parents. My Merc block was bored .080" which is 268 cu in I believe. I must have made a miscalulation first go around.
8CM heads measure around 84cc's
EAB's are 64cc's

With the need for exra thickness head gaskets on the EAB's, I'll reluctantly go with the 8CM heads. The lower compression of the 8CM heads should be bumped up a bit since the EGGE pistons will penetrate deeper than stock pistons - (I'll measure that tomorrow with .050 used gasket)

I would be interested in how you measure cyl volume with head attached. I was going to try using my syringe and an oil which could be sucked back out after measuring. Or, is it really worth it on a street driven engine?

My last concern is that there might be a difference of .008 - .010 deck heigth difference from pass side to drivers side cylinders. Big or small problem?

Thanks

Jack 34pu
Jack 34pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:53 PM   #42
Russ/40

I'll put my 2 cents in, not that you will pay any attention to my comments, but you have drawn this sows ear out to try to make a silk purse. Just grind a little of the pistons where the conflict exists and put it together. Again, it's not an offenhouser. Some folks just need to make things complicated.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #43
Jack 34pu

Russ,

I'm just learning and these builders have been very generous with their help. There are no hign spots to grind as the dome radius matches well with the head shape. I think I explained that in an earlier post. I used hard grease to check for high spots and found a perfect pattern instead. It must be that the blocked was decked many years ago before I got it and my machinest also took a very light cut to get rid of some pitting. The EAB heads also measure 3" dia at dome/compression area while the cyl measure nearly 3 1/4" with an .080" bore. Someone posted pics of such a situation.

I'm sorry you feel this is too drawn out. Just don't click on this thread and you are home free. As long as Ol' Ron, Walt and others are responding, I take it as valuable info to be passed on to others who are a little hesitant to try a rebuild. When responses stop, the thread is ended and we move on.

Please - no offense - just my opinion
Jack 34pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #44
Ol' Ron

The 84cc heads give a combustion chamber volumn of aprox 100cc's or about 6.25:1.
The EAB heads will give approximately 7.75:1. This is a big difference when it comes to low end torque and economy. As you can see fitting the cylinder heads properly can make a big difference. Not only do you gain compression, but the increased turbulance gives a better A/F mixture to the spark plug. This you can feel in the deat of your oants.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #45
Russ/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack 34pu View Post
Russ,

I'm just learning and these builders have been very generous with their help. There are no hign spots to grind as the dome radius matches well with the head shape. I think I explained that in an earlier post. I used hard grease to check for high spots and found a perfect pattern instead. It must be that the blocked was decked many years ago before I got it and my machinest also took a very light cut to get rid of some pitting. The EAB heads also measure 3" dia at dome/compression area while the cyl measure nearly 3 1/4" with an .080" bore. Someone posted pics of such a situation.

I'm sorry you feel this is too drawn out. Just don't click on this thread and you are home free. As long as Ol' Ron, Walt and others are responding, I take it as valuable info to be passed on to others who are a little hesitant to try a rebuild. When responses stop, the thread is ended and we move on.

Please - no offense - just my opinion
Well said. I'm afraid my curiosity is just too great to not follow how this ends up being done.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote