Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-18-2011, 08:44 AM   #21
Jim.Morris2831

Default Re: Rock tumbler for rust removal

I've used white vinegar for years to soak small parts in including distributor and carburetor housings. This vinegar is cheap and weak. I check the parts frequently as the acetic acid in the vinegar does eat at the metal which loosens the rust that falls off. I would be careful about pot metal, it might dissolve into a paste, I only use the vinegar on steel. Screw and bolt threads are clean, crevices are clean, and the acid won't hurt your hands. I rinse the parts after the vinegar soak, wire brush, and apply the paint. Works well for me and it's quiet.
Jim
Old 05-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #22
quickchange

Jim are you using the vinegar in your tumbler ?? if so what else do you put in besides the parts. I have a H/F large one & interested on what all you guys use. so far its been enlightning as china instuctions not very good??? & they never mentioned using a liqiid only dry. This is a great helpful site . Thanks guys. How good will the salt be this year???
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #23
Jim.Morris2831

I don't use a tumbler, I soak the rusty parts in empty jars or plastic containers filled with white vinegar. I've also laid heavy garbage bags flat on my garage floor with 2x4's outlining a square or rectangle to outline long or wide parts. Works for me with minimal cost, noise, permanent space used up. I put the unused vinegar in my dinner salad!
Naval Jelly contains phosphoric acid which does the same thing as the vinegar, here's what Wikipedia says about phosphoric acid works: "The phosphoric acid converts reddish-brown iron(III) oxide, Fe2O3 (rust) to black ferric phosphate, FePO4.After treatment, the black ferric-phosphate coating can be scrubbed off, leaving a fresh metal surface. Multiple applications of phosphoric acid may be required to remove all rust. The black phosphate coating can also be left in place, where it will provide moderate further corrosion resistance (such protection is also provided by the superficially similar Parkerizing and blued electrochemical conversion coating processes). "
I imagine that the vinegar works in the same way. I'm NOT a chemist, I failed chemistry in high school, but I've learned to use white vinegar to my advantage in spite of that F! This is how I remove rust from small parts, you choose what works best for you ....
Old 05-18-2011, 11:01 PM   #24
steve hackel

Hi Guys.... I presently own 6 vibratory tumblers - of 4 different sizes, as each had a different purpose. Abrasive treated corn cobs & walnut shells do a great job shining parts, black beauty will do little or nothing to rusty parts. If you can locate 10# or 20# of carpet tacks, you can use them in the smaller tumblers with a little sand or black beauty. The carpet tacks will get into EVERY thread or hole (very hard to remove though) and they are hardened to something around a grade 5 bolt. These can be bought on E-bay & Craigs list, or try some of the supply houses. Ceramic stones, impregnated fiberglass pyramid shapes and liquid abrasive are the only true methods of tumbling parts for a finish. Glass beads & sand blasting is a much more efficient way to remove the bulk portion or major rust, and then try tumbling your items for a true optical finish.
steve hackel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #25
d.j. moordigian

Thinking about purchasing a vibrating tumbler.

Any new information, one year later?

Thanks, Dudley
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #26
Tom Wesenberg

I put some rusty hardware in my rock tumbler along with some black beauty and after several hours of tumbling and very little rust removal I finally took them out and used my sandblast cabinet.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #27
d.j. moordigian

Tom,
Do you think it has the wrong media? The Black beauty turns to mud(post #18 and 24),
and removes no rust/crap....just thinking...
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #28
1crosscut

I've used wood bleach to remove rust from parts with very good success. It will take the rust off without harming any remining paint. Very good for de-rusting window crank assemblys etc... I would think that using it as a solution in the tumblers would work well. It comes in a powdered form available at most hardware stores.
Dave
1crosscut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:31 PM   #29
Art Bjornestad

I have used stainless steel but find that the small ss bits can get caught easily in carb parts and can sometimes be a tiger to get out. Art
Art Bjornestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #30
olebmw

Several years ago I broke the safety glass on a storm door,it shattered into a gazillion pieces about 1/8 " square. It's the best thing I've found for tumbling the rusty inside of a motorcycle tank. I getting ready to try it on a Model A tank.
olebmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #31
broommaker

I remember my dad using a piece of chain in a gas tank and rolling it to remove rust, worked for him.....Seems everything work well for my dad......

Jim
broommaker is offline   Reply With Quote