Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
rmak

Default Has Anyone Installed Cartouche Seat Covers?

I just stopped by the local upholsterer and got a price on having my interior done. $2,500! I am thinking about going with plan 'B' until I hit the lottery.

I got a brown side cover kit with the car that will cover the doors and front and back panels. I don't know anything about this stuff, but the panels don't look that hard to fit on.

I called Snyders today and found that they have a brown cover to go over the seat springs. I was just wondering if anyone here has gone that route. How hard is it and can an amateur like me do it without screwing up too badly? How do you hook the seat covers on?

Also, any hints on installing that door and panel set would be appreciated too.
rmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Has Anyone Installed Cartouche Seat Covers?

What year and body style?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
rmak

29 roadster. The previous owner had the springs re-done.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Define "screw it up".

If you are concerned about it looking somewhat even within a mile or two of looking authentic, IMHO you are making a mistake going with Cartouche. The same mindset applies to quality. IMHO, Cartouche looks cheap because it is!!

Also understand that none of the trim scheme combos available in kit form from anyone are authentic. If you think you want just want to cover a seat, then consider finding a different trim shop that will sew you what you like and then you install it. The reason that the local shop you checked with was probably higher is because of the quality of the materials they use.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Define "screw it up".

If you are concerned about it looking somewhat even within a mile or two of looking authentic, IMHO you are making a mistake going with Cartouche. The same mindset applies to quality. IMHO, Cartouche looks cheap because it is!!

Also understand that none of the trim scheme combos available in kit form from anyone are authentic. If you think you want just want to cover a seat, then consider finding a different trim shop that will sew you what you like and then you install it. The reason that the local shop you checked with was probably higher is because of the quality of the materials they use.

No doubt, all of that is true. OTOH, it doesn't make a lot of sense to put a $2500 interior into a $12-15000 Model A. So, what is a good alternative for the Model A enthusiast that is wanting a"nice" or serviceable, but doesn't have interior skills or a really big budget?
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
rmak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post
No doubt, all of that is true. OTOH, it doesn't make a lot of sense to put a $2500 interior into a $12-15000 Model A. So, what is a good alternative for the Model A enthusiast that is wanting a"nice" or serviceable, but doesn't have interior skills or a really big budget?
Thank you. There are thousands of things I could do to this car that would make it better. Each one costs a pretty penny. It would be nice to have a workable seat so I could drive the car and have fun while making improvements over the years. I'm a regular working guy with a family. I don't plan on making a museum piece at the expense of other things in my life.

Anyone have a photo of one of those cheap interiors installed?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:58 PM   #7
CWPASADENA

I just finished the interior in my Tudor. I had never done this type of interior before and I am sure a professional could have done it faster and quicker but I am very pleased how it came out. I got a kit from Lebaron Bonney and read the instructions several times before I started. I like the idea of trying to do as much as possable on my cars. It gives me a lot of satisfaction and also allows me to streatch the money I have to devote to a project.

I would consider buying the seat covering kits and give it a try.

Chris

Last edited by CWPASADENA; 04-20-2011 at 10:00 PM. Reason: CLARIFICATION
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:13 PM   #8
700rpm

I used Cartouche in my 30 PU. It's serviceable for a driver, which is what my truck is, though the spring action wore through in the lower driver's corner of the seat in less than a year. That could have been an error on my part in installation, but the material overall is pretty thin. A roadster installation would probably be similar, so I don't think it would be difficult for you. My seat covers are held on with hog rings. Cartouche (and L-B as well) provide good instructions and the special pliers and rings and other stuff you need. I'd say go for it. You'll feel better having done it yourself. Also, you don't have to plump for the whole interior kit. Just buy the seat covers for now if that's all you need. Save up some more dough, then get the door and kick panels.

Last edited by 700rpm; 04-21-2011 at 10:54 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:31 AM   #9
Brentwood Bob

run an ad for an upholstered seat, see what pops up. I found a seat for my 31 ccpu in new york state, Most of the cost was in the shipping. Bob
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:53 AM   #10
Model A Man

If there is a trade school where you live, check and see if they have a upholstery class. 1) you could take the class or 2) you could see how much the students/school would charge to upholster the roadster
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:28 AM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Actually, the open car seat covers are not held on with hog rings. They are supposed to be crimped into the lower band of the seat cushion.

The second part I am having difficulty in grasping is the $2,500 figure. Do you feel this is outrageous? Did you shop around and compare pricing? That may be what the going price is in your area based on labor rates.

As you will soon find out, there is a lot of time to accurately install an interior kit. Heck it takes a lot of time to install it unauthentically! The truth of the matter is you are gonna find that there is a lotta time involved in installing an entire kit by the time you install all the pieces in that puzzle. It is kinda like buying a taylored suit vs. one "off the rack". There is also many tricks that experienced trimmers know and it just takes time studying & trial & error to get a good job. I can easily see you having 40+ hours in installing the kit. AND, that will not count "re-do" time either. Not to pick on Chris' picture above but myguess is there is at least one thing that he would probably do different next time if he could do it again. It appears he did not tie the cushion springs (or if he did, he didn't do them enough) as it appears the seat will not fold forward properly to allow passenger egress to the back seat. Also, compare to the photo below that shows the proper location for the piping. Again, these are minor installation details and he did a remarkable job but my point is that he would probably do many things differently if he had done several jobs and had that experience to fall back on. THAT is what you are paying for when you have it done professionally. While some of y'all may not view it that way, paying $2,500 (even on a $10,000 car) is not that expensive when you realize what is involved.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg seat-5.jpg (29.8 KB, 222 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 04-21-2011, 07:49 AM   #12
5window

Brent, I agree with all you said,and I am not trying to be argumentative,just thinking "out loud". I have no doubt that a professional would do a better job. (I'm a vet and while i am pretty sure you could spay your dog at home, with 23 years of experience, I think I could do a better job.)

I also don't think $2500 is excessive for a good quality well done interior. I don't doubt that a show quality interior would cost considerably more than that. But, I think that there are quite a few Model A owners who aren't looking for show quality, but "good, serviceable and enjoyable", who maybe aren't comfortable with your level of investment in a car that's really a hobby rather than an obsession and who maybe have more time than money to invest in the project.

I think Cartouche and L-B have recognized and tried to address that market. If you don't like those options, what can be done?
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:36 AM   #13
Gumpy

Cw---beautiful job with the job you did-----very nice
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:47 AM   #14
Richard Wilson

From the HOBBIEST point of view..........after having installed six assorted interiors and a similar number of tops, I think you would have a good experience installing your own roadster upholstery. On the plus side of doing it yourself, I would guess that less than 5% of the people that would ever look at your roadster could even tell if you did the interior or a Professional did the install. IMO the roadster's is by far the easiest interior to install. You must follow the instructions step by step and use a little common sense. The hardest area for me has been the corners of the back cushion flap where it attaches to the body wood. All of the interiors and tops I have done were LeBarron Bonney kits. I have never been disappointed with the quality. Just remember that these are kits and ALL kits will not fit 100% perfectly without some fitting to your personal car. I have friends, including my dad, that purchased cheaper interior kits and the materials did not hold up over time with use. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:27 AM   #15
Rowdy
BANNED

Be Thankful there is an off the shelf interior kit availiable for your car. Likely going to have to travel quite aways to find someone to do the interior for the delivery. I made a set of covers for the seats to use for now, but plan on having them recovered properly when I am done along with the entire cargo portion done right. Rod
Old 04-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #16
CarlG

This was done about 20 years ago when the then owner restored the truck. Probably done in Tijuana by someone that had no clue as to how Model A's were suppose to be done. While it looks great, it sits 2 to 3 inches too high.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inside Cab.jpg (23.5 KB, 183 views)
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:53 AM   #17
V4F

i had car-touche interior . but when i got mine it was $900 total . not show stuff but better than bare springs . installed ok ................. steve
Old 04-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #18
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post
Brent, I agree with all you said,and I am not trying to be argumentative,just thinking "out loud". I have no doubt that a professional would do a better job. (I'm a vet and while i am pretty sure you could spay your dog at home, with 23 years of experience, I think I could do a better job.)

I also don't think $2500 is excessive for a good quality well done interior. I don't doubt that a show quality interior would cost considerably more than that. But, I think that there are quite a few Model A owners who aren't looking for show quality, but "good, serviceable and enjoyable", who maybe aren't comfortable with your level of investment in a car that's really a hobby rather than an obsession and who maybe have more time than money to invest in the project.

I think Cartouche and L-B have recognized and tried to address that market. If you don't like those options, what can be done?
I love your analogy!!

My biggest question was, ...is comparing $2,500 from a local shop to a 'kit' really comparing apples-to-apples? I can't help but think not. THAT was my point.

If someone is trying to save money over the kit prices and save money doing it themselves, why not just go to the nearest Wal-Mart and purchase some brown naugahyde in their fabric department? A couple of yards and a box of hog-rings later will cover a seat where it becomes functional for under $25 bucks. Buy a few more yards and a can of sprayable glue, then recover the existing panel board for a matching interior.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 04-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #19
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
...why not just go to the nearest Wal-Mart and purchase some brown naugahyde in their fabric department? A couple of yards and a box of hog-rings later will cover a seat where it becomes functional for under $25 bucks. Buy a few more yards and a can of sprayable glue, then recover the existing panel board for a matching interior..
This is exactly what I did with the 52 Merc I had while I was in High School -- except WalMart didn't exist then, and the naugahyde was gray.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:02 PM   #20
Thom IV

My two cents worth FWIW. I installed (with some professional help) Cartouche seat covers and side panels. Did the side panels by myself. Had some professional assistance with the seats. I am very satisfied with the product. My professional person commented on the high quality of the material. It came out looking very good. It has been in a year and a half and has over 1500 miles of use.
I receive compliments when ever I show the car.
Thom IV is offline   Reply With Quote