Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
BigDan

Default Oil pan full of goop

Hi guys, I'm back on the Forum after an 8-year hiatus. Just bought a nice '52 with the original flatty, allegedly " rebuilt " at some point. Drove it home about 50 miles at 60 mph. It ran strong, cool and smooth with good oil pressure all the way and I felt very relieved since I really was a little nervous about not bringing it home on a trailer. Today I drained the oil and stuck my finger in the plug hole. YUK! Nasty stuff in there. I went ahead and finished the oil change but I want to get the pan off and cleaned up. Here's my question: Is this something I can do myself on my back on the floor of my garage or should I take it somewhere. I'm leaning towards taking it to my mechanic but if it's not a tough job I might try it. Also, once pan is cleaned up, should I flush the engine to clean it up a little better? I think I've got a good engine here and want to keep it that way. Thanks in advance for letting me know what you think.

Dan
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
Russ/40

Default Re: Oil pan full of goop

I suggest you do it yourself. Anyone who owns a 60 year old car, had better learn to work on it
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
Jack E/NJ

Motor's likely got sludge laying around in the valley and other places besides the pan. Really should clean it all up due to the possibility of sludge clots breaking loose and plugging an oilway especially if modern detergent oils or additives are used.

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
ford1

you will need to pull the pan and intake manifold to get all the sludge out, you will need to buy a cheap siphon type gun that will pick up deisel and spray it in the valve galley after you scrape out all the sludge you can, you can do all this at home, messy, put down a lot of tarps to catch the goop
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
Karl Wolf

I took a small electric pump, put a pan under the engine.. Pulled the pan and the intake manifold... And with the small hose on the pump cleaned out the engine with solvent, top to bottom, without pulling it out of the car... Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:46 AM   #6
GreenMonster48

My truck is the same way. I run non-detergent oil and cross my fingers.
GreenMonster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:39 AM   #7
Kube

Okay, I have had another experience with this type of situation that differs from the others posted thus far.
I strongly advise NO engine 'cleansing' unless you want to take it apart and do it right.
You want to avoid any nasty 'chunks' of gook possibly clogging something up.
This is not quite as critical a warning as it would be should you have a more modern engine with hydraulic lifters. Still, the possibility exists that you may clog something.
Removing the pan and cleaning out the sludge is a great idea as it may be impeding the flow of your oil pump. Remember there is a distinct difference in oil pressure and oil flow (volume). Be certain to clean the pick up screen as long as your in there.
If possible use non-detergent oils as has been suggested.
Usually the muck that has built up within the engine is stuck in place so intact it is not likely to simply break loose on its own.
Bottom line: Your engine runs good, runs cool and has good oil pressure as is. Cleaning the pan certainly can't hurt but to do more may create problems that at this point don't exist. Why risk it?
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote