Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #21
George/Maine

Default Re: dolly towing

I rented a tow dolly from uhaul and it swivils.I think they do that so you can remove key and that locks wheel new cars.If you didn,t have that swivil you would have to leave steering wheel unlocked.If towing backwards you need the swivil.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:05 PM   #22
Shadetree

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken ct View Post
Shadetree,where would the tow dolly swivil,at the draw bar or the wheels?? Why would the tires flat spot and good tip on the speedo cable. thanks evreybody for their input. ken ct.
Ken,
On a good tow dolly the platform that the front wheels are tied down to remains static, no twisting or turning under the tires. There is a big bolt right under the car's axle when it is tied down, that permits it to give while making a turn. On a dolly that does not swivel, something has to give when you make a turn. Mine is a Stehl, but I am sure there are other manufacturers.

However they are tough to back up.

Shadetree
Old 03-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #23
cvstl

There were a lot of things that came to mind, and blucar covered them all, except one.....

Trailers seem to hold their value pretty well, and are pretty easy to sell, at least that has been my experience. You may consider buying a decent 16' trailer, using it to move your car and whatever else you can and selling when you're done.
cvstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #24
Tim Brown

Drive it! Just my (smartass) 2 cents...
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #25
ken ct
BANNED

Longest i ever drove it was 250 mi,and it was on a diff engine,so im not comfortable with this engine yet to drive it 900 mi. Yes it would be easier to just drive it down. thanks ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:09 PM   #26
lee34

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Go u haul aluminum trailer,brakes,tie downs,cars that have been lowered no problem loading. I have used several times with my own tow vehicle
no worry.lee34
lee34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #27
lee34

Go U HAUL,aluminum,tie downs provided,cars that are lower than normal no problem loading,automatic brakes. I have used several times using my own tow vehicle,no problems lee34
lee34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #28
B-O-B

I'm a day late & a dollar short on this but I vote for the trailer. Rent or buy you won't be sorry. You can load the bike ,parts,& just all kinds of stuff. A flat tire on a trailer, if you should happen to have one, won't be near as bad as one on your car. Just be sure to get the anti-sway bar & load levelers, safety chain, crisscrossed(X) when connected good light connections & hitch. You can fabricated a gravel shield from plywood. I own a tandem axle & installed a semi-truck windscreen on the front & it works great. Might check some of your buddys to rent one from them a bit more reasonable. Oh be sure to pack the wheel bearings & check the tire pressure often like ever time you stop for a rest or fuel.
Best of luck on the move. When we moved to Ore. I made 8 trips with mine hauling my junkers. I did this in the middle of winter (1200 mile) roundtrip over icy roads & snowy mountains. Never had a problem.

Last edited by B-O-B; 10-12-2013 at 10:40 AM.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #29
FRANK PKNY

Ken,
Drop that old 36 off at my house leave the keys. Don't worry about towing I'll put it to good use! Grin Have a safe trip. Kinda feel like you don't love us northerners any more. (Sad Face) Frank pkny
Old 03-18-2011, 08:23 PM   #30
Barry B./ Ma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken ct View Post
Longest i ever drove it was 250 mi,and it was on a diff engine,so im not comfortable with this engine yet to drive it 900 mi. Yes it would be easier to just drive it down. thanks ken ct.
Ken, my friend George has a 16 ft. car trailer that he wants to sell. Let me know if your interested. Barry B/ Ma.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:03 AM   #31
sturgis 39

I would drive the car and have the wife drive the support vehicle. If you have a break down you can go rent a trailer or dolly. This way you can listen to the flat head and enjoy your trip. Take a couple of cb radios so you can stay in contact with the support vehicle. Make sure you do not get too far a head of the support vehicle and lose radio contact in case the support vehicle breaks down.

Hope you have a safe and fun trip.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote