Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
roccaas

Default How about a Speedster Picture Thread?

Various pics I've picked up over the years.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
V4F

Default Re: How about a Speedster Picture Thread?

i have ask ryan twice for a speedster catagory , but no answer ..............
steve .............. F.A.S.T.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve norcal View Post
steve,
As we keep getting reminded by unnamed others, Ryan's answer is in the header,i.e. - this site is for stock/original model As(whatever stock/original..is, other than trailer queens!).
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

....and to "muddy-up" the waters, by true definition from "back in the day", the term "Speedster" was a built up automobile that uses a hand-made body or aftermarket body.

For example, these two cars below are Speedsters by definition...

And these two cars are NOT speedsters by true definition...

Generally the reason that Speedsters have been accepted by the Model A and Model T clubs is because of the mindset that the bodies/sheetmetal were not being destroyed. Naturally there are exceptions but that was kinda the mindset. I'm not real sure the "traditional hot rod" was ever really a true tradition as seen on HAMB.

Personally, I have no problem discussing Speedsters here however I prefer not to discuss Hot Rods (cars with V8s, chopped tops, etc.). If it came down to it, I would embrace not speaking about Speedsters here too if it eliminates talking about hot rodded Model A's. Just my opinion, ...and your mileage will vary!! (And I am not picking on anyone elses cars in the pix above as all four of these cars are mine.)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
FL&WVMIKE

steve norcal, roccaas ........................
Go ahead and start a "Speedster" Thread. If Ryan did not approve, he would have said so.
I, for one, would enjoy it !
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
old1928fordguy

Bring it on ! If it is a speedster thread,labeled as such,others would not have to open the posts and read it.Most of us only read the books we want and watch the TV shows we want thus we dont have to enjoy the speedster threads if we dont want to.
old1928fordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
Mike

This is my 1928 speedster with a 32 B engine in it

mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Mike, that's a nice looking seat. Did you make it? Any details? Thanks
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
Ross/Kzoo

My speedster is a 28 with 5.5 head and petronix ignition, no other mods. A fun car to drive and the the grandkids love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2416.jpg (101.8 KB, 298 views)
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
just plain bill

I read "The Ford Barn"> General Discussion> Model A 1928-31. The only limits I see is that the subject is to be the Model A ford and I would assume that to include all of its variations. There are people with what they call "High point cars", " Restored," "Daily drivers," "Beaters," and so on and so forth. Speedster is a term not used back in the day (when was that?) We had "puddle jumpers" "dune buggy's" We had "cut down" cars sometimes made of surplus parts, just something to drive down the dirt roads and alley's of that time. Maybe just roar around the barn until parents,neighbors and others complained of dust and noise. Then in the late 20 Th. century came a new form of stripped (cut) down "A"'s called "Speedster's" (Not really well known until the advent of the S O S S) These cars were/are painted and for the most part finished well. It is a form of expression of how some enjoy the look and feel of racing with out all of the expense but the cars are usually finished and well maintained. I remember when I came home after my Army service in the mid 50's and took the body off of the roadster pick up I now own to clean and paint the frame. not to restore just to clean it up. Well, I rigged a gas tank on it and had a "cannery" box for a seat and away I went, what a thrill, driving on a freshly graded dirt road. Dump the clutch in second and hang on to the steering wheel with a "white knuckle" grip sitting on that box. Just me, the frame, running gear and engine. I guess I' m trying to say I feel there is room for all if it applies to "A"'s If I want to discuss strictly 4 banger hot rods I go to the HAMB but I feel that is different than the individual inquiring here as to the possibility and/or the advisability of attempting to increasing power and roadability of their "A"'s. Damn, I'm getting old and I guess it shows.
just plain bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #11
Mike

Tom, I bought this car in 2001 from a good friends wife, when he passed away. Dave Baldwin was his name, the car was complete but not functional. i redid alot of the mechanicals but to answer your question the seat was on the car and I have no idea were it came from.

mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:53 PM   #12
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by just plain bill View Post
I read "The Ford Barn"> General Discussion> Model A 1928-31. The only limits I see is that the subject is to be the Model A ford and I would assume that to include all of its variations. There are people with what they call "High point cars", " Restored," "Daily drivers," "Beaters," and so on and so forth. Speedster is a term not used back in the day (when was that?) We had "puddle jumpers" "dune buggy's" We had "cut down" cars sometimes made of surplus parts, just something to drive down the dirt roads and alley's of that time. Maybe just roar around the barn until parents,neighbors and others complained of dust and noise. Then in the late 20 Th. century came a new form of stripped (cut) down "A"'s called "Speedster's" (Not really well known until the advent of the S O S S) These cars were/are painted and for the most part finished well. It is a form of expression of how some enjoy the look and feel of racing with out all of the expense but the cars are usually finished and well maintained. I remember when I came home after my Army service in the mid 50's and took the body off of the roadster pick up I now own to clean and paint the frame. not to restore just to clean it up. Well, I rigged a gas tank on it and had a "cannery" box for a seat and away I went, what a thrill, driving on a freshly graded dirt road. Dump the clutch in second and hang on to the steering wheel with a "white knuckle" grip sitting on that box. Just me, the frame, running gear and engine. I guess I' m trying to say I feel there is room for all if it applies to "A"'s If I want to discuss strictly 4 banger hot rods I go to the HAMB but I feel that is different than the individual inquiring here as to the possibility and/or the advisability of attempting to increasing power and roadability of their "A"'s. Damn, I'm getting old and I guess it shows.
Hello Bill,
AMEN to that! What 'shows' ...is your your vast experience and tolerance!! Thanks for sharing is here...now please show a pic of your winning speedster.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #13
Sparky

Back in may I started a Speedsters social group but it doesn't get much posting. I guess the problem is that you have to remember to check up on it from time to time. Anyway, here's a couple more pics of mine:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speed1small.jpg (395.7 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg speed2small.jpg (418.8 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg speed4small.jpg (455.2 KB, 336 views)
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #14
Brent

I've collected everything, except an engine block, for a A chassis-based "speedster" although I'm hesitant to call it a Speedster since that's a term I feel is more for T-chassis cars. Once I get the chassis completed, I'm going to build a wooden pattern (buck) and do an aluminum body.

Perhaps, if it's okay with the boss, I'll do a build thread here.

The photoshopped picture below is something that really inspires me.

It'll get fenders and an external brake lever, along with a round tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SURH Modified SPEEDSTER.jpg (42.3 KB, 1756 views)
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #15
just plain bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hello Bill,
AMEN to that! What 'shows' ...is your your vast experience and tolerance!! Thanks for sharing is here...now please show a pic of your winning speedster.
The car was built to be Lakes Modified. It IS a hot rod! My grandson was the driver this year, 3rd. generation to drive it. First photo is 2nd and 3rd generations. It DOES have a Model A engine!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 genarations.jpg (253.5 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7844.jpg (55.9 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg engine 1.jpg (83.0 KB, 235 views)

Last edited by just plain bill; 02-06-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #16
Dale Miller

My Avatar pix is my speedster.
when I first built it , it did not have fenders
but my wife refused to ride in it with open wheels
so it now has fenders and running boards!!
Dale Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #17
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
The car was built to be Lakes Modified. It IS a hot rod! My grandson was the driver this year, 3rd. generation to drive it. 1 st. photo is 2nd and 3rd generations. It DOES have a Model A engine!
Bill is right, it IS a Hot Rod and not a Speedster as evidenced by the cut up 26/27 body. Just because he doesn't remember the term Speedster being used doesn't suggest we should re-write history to change the name to Hot Rod.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 02-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #18
just plain bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Bill is right, it IS a Hot Rod and not a Speedster as evidenced by the cut up 26/27 body. Just because he doesn't remember the term Speedster being used doesn't suggest we should re-write history to change the name to Hot Rod.
You know I think that some people who post on here are just too serious. I don't recall insinuating that my car is/was a speedster. I stated it is a hot rod. I would ask "Are there no speedsters with "cut up" bodies on them? In my earlier post I commented that when I was younger I don't recall the term Speedster used regarding a model A unless it was used as an adjective. I do recall model T speedsters or more common "Run-a-Bouts" I remember Mercury Speedster bodies for "T"s but do not remember bodies called Speedsters for model "A"'s. I don't doubt the term could have been used predating its use in the S O S S magazine. I remember guys cutting up "A"'s to build the original "dune buggies" or "doodle bugs" and offering us "A" guy's the fenders and doors if we would take them off of the car for them. Is a car with inserts, high compression head, new counterbalanced crank, and electronic ignition with centrifugal advance any less of a hot rod? Each of those modifications as applied to the "A" were for the most part developed by the then hot rod crowd. Each item increases the performance although cannot be seen. I find this is very tiring and again ask if the forum is for all model "A" enthusiasts? I like the post that stated in so many words "If you are not interested in it don't go there". I apologize in advance to all of those I have offended today, those with high point cars and those with beaters. To all with speedsters, I'm not really trying to change the name of your car.

Last edited by just plain bill; 02-06-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #19
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
I read "The Ford Barn"> General Discussion> Model A 1928-31. The only limits I see is that the subject is to be the Model A ford and I would assume that to include all of its variations. .
Not true,

Once again I quote the owner of the site, the guy who put his hard earned money down for a site different then the HAMB site that he also owns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan on 05-09-2010, 09:59 AM View Post
We will stay focused on restoration over here. Hot rods and customs are for the hamb.
I asked about a modified section when this site first opened and was told "The modified section wasn't used much on the old Ford Barn and with the HAMB, became redundant."

There are hundreds of site that have information on Hot Rods and modified cars there are only about 5 that deal with stock.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #20
Milton

This line of discussion is probably closer to "real life" talk between Edsel and Henry back in the day. We all know how the senior Ford put the auto within reach of the masses with his use of mass production. However, Henry Ford's attitude practically killed the Company also. In fact, were it not for Edsel Ford, we might be discussing the restoration of Chevrolets.

Wiki - "After becoming president of Ford, Edsel long advocated the introduction of a more modern automobile to replace the Model T, but was repeatedly overruled by his father. Flagging sales and dwindling market share for the company, however, finally made introduction of a new model inevitable, the Model A."

"In 1932 he [Edsel] had an aluminium, boat-tailed speedster automobile custom-designed for him by Ford's first designer, E.T. (Bob) Gregorie. This car had a number of features that were not available on any other car. Most of the design features appeared in many Ford models throughout history. The car had Ford's brand-new V8, the first low-cost eight-cylinder engine. The car is considered the world's first "Hot Rod" by many car experts and historians, and one of the most desired automobiles in history."

So in essence, I feel that Henry created the Ford but, I'll give credit to Edsel for the Model A that we all care so much about, even if he was just a hot rodder at heart.
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #21
just plain bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Not true,

Once again I quote the owner of the site, the guy who put his hard earned money down for a site different then the HAMB site that he also owns.

I asked about a modified section when this site first opened and was told "The modified section wasn't used much on the old Ford Barn and with the HAMB, became redundant."

There are hundreds of site that have information on Hot Rods and modified cars there are only about 5 that deal with stock.
I stand corrected, I should have written "I have seen"
Old 02-06-2011, 11:14 PM   #22
ratamahata

My collection!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_6992_jpg.jpg (71.4 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg 19362510bford.jpg (15.2 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 1930_Ford_Model_A_Racer_JAB913.jpg (27.9 KB, 695 views)
File Type: jpg 1929_Ford_Racer_aaca_01.jpg (41.7 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 1929_ford_racer_model_A_Speedway_racer_aaca_01.jpg (70.7 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg b11.JPG (52.7 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg 09- El Yossen Team_jpg.jpg (91.5 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 21940-Ford-Speedster.jpg (27.6 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg b7.jpg (58.5 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Ford 1929 -motor-.JPG (114.1 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg img83.jpg (27.3 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg ford_1928-Speedster-Greg-Cunningham-009_4.jpg (119.0 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg 2558998533_3032d30629.jpg (131.4 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0745.jpg (85.8 KB, 109 views)
ratamahata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #23
Jim Huseby

My speedsters bodies are old news, but here are some pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_0318.jpg (84.1 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0631.jpg (75.7 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg photo6.jpg (101.8 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg white spdstr, R. Hurst.jpg (69.9 KB, 141 views)
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #24
zzlegend

Quote:
The car was built to be Lakes Modified. It IS a hot rod! My grandson was the driver this year, 3rd. generation to drive it. First photo is 2nd and 3rd generations. It DOES have a Model A engine!
Gotta tell you Bill,,,,,,,,,I like that Hot Rod. Fine job.
And just to keep it serious here for those that get to serious,,,,i am in the process of trying to put togther a speedster right now.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #25
Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Huseby View Post
My speedsters bodies are old news, but here are some pictures
I love boat-tails!
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:26 PM   #26
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
I love boat-tails!
Done right they are a beauty, done wrong and they look like hell. At least to me.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #27
Bruce

Here is a picture of my favorite.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Union Four.jpg (84.6 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg Union Low Front.jpg (117.9 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg Union one.jpg (83.8 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg Union Three.jpg (69.6 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg Union Two.jpg (69.1 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg Widowmaker.jpg (25.2 KB, 119 views)
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:17 PM   #28
ratamahata

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 02-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #29
George Miller

Here is a picture of my hill climb speedster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cylinder head21 001.jpg (101.0 KB, 95 views)
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #30
ratamahata

More speedsters pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b4.jpg (82.9 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg b5.jpg (62.7 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg b11.JPG (52.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg b12.JPG (57.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 4398406140_c945fd1681_z.jpg (117.4 KB, 81 views)
Old 02-09-2011, 12:42 AM   #31
old1928fordguy

Here are a few more.I hope the photos work! enjoy Phil T.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new speedster 014.jpg (69.1 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg new speedster 016.jpg (58.5 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg 22b5_1.jpg (21.3 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 323331299_0065d1eb9c.jpg (86.7 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 1929-Ford-Speedster-Yellow-fa-nf.jpg (92.4 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 296929408_819d8402d0.jpg (72.8 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 29000000.jpg (61.7 KB, 78 views)
old1928fordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:08 AM   #32
ratamahata

Nice pictures old1928fordguy... the first pics showing this beautiful boattail speedster with aluminum body, I love this boattails bodies, but in my opinion they looking good in a lowers cars, the stock model A it´s so high for that bodies....

Glenn Billqvist from Sweden was build a typical 1920s racer, he did use a Bugatti body (except for the radiator). The chassis is standard Ford Model A, fitted with Buick drums. The Engine is a Ford A (G28T) with an Ardun head (Over head Valve) and dual Stromberg 81´s. The power should be in a range of 110-120 HP.
Click in the link below to see the article
http://allride.skynetblogs.be/archiv...billqvist.html

Glenn speedster

a bugatti pic for a comparison

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by ratamahata; 02-09-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #33
Bruce in southern OH

Southern OHIO Speedsters

Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #34
kenparker

It is cold and mizerable outside so today is a good day to play on the 'puter. Wind about 20mph, 24 degrees and sleet coming down.

One of the fun things about building speedsters is the no rules part. If you dont like what you created, mess it up and start over. Here are some pix of the Miss E starting with partial construction. The girl in the driver seat, Elizabeth - grandaughter, is a future driver/owner. Tried the 19" wheel look and did not like it so back to 16"s. The last pix is her under current reconstruction - lowering the tail with more slope, cutting the sidewalls lower for easier entry and a better look and adding more slope to the windshield. Also trying to get some of the sheet metal wrinkles out.

Next project is a new speedster - more of the long sleek look -Bugatti (sp) look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speedster 43 with girls.jpg (66.6 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg speedster73.jpg (58.0 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg miss e w 19's.jpg (63.7 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg missE rebuild 1.jpg (51.8 KB, 102 views)
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #35
Wick

Comming along 1 piece at a time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0919101604[1].jpg (59.0 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg downsized_0116111137a[1].jpg (42.0 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg wick 007.jpg (129.3 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg wick 008.jpg (116.6 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg wick 019.jpg (102.9 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg wick 021.jpg (139.7 KB, 100 views)
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #36
Wick

http://pic20.picturetrail.com:80/VOL.../342847742.jpg
This speedster was in the Great American Race years ago. Built in Va.Beach.
Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #37
shooter54

i for one really love the looks of a tastefully done speedster.

i'm sure ryan will chime in if he doesn't approve of a speedster thread.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #38
Brent

That white A speedster is really sharp.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:00 PM   #39
Brubaker

I just can't get this pic to flip around. Too bad, it's a really nice speedster(not mine).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (45.3 KB, 72 views)
Brubaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #40
Jay Ess

Bump...

Jay Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #41
Ross/Kzoo

This is for Brubaker :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #13.jpg (27.6 KB, 51 views)
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #42
spdway1

Who can REASONABLY build a speedster body, not a kit, not a boat tail. I called one guy and he said "Are you sure you want to put that kind of money IN A MODEL A".
Some how we got disconnected!
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #43
Purdy Swoft

Heres mine
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #44
denis4x4

When I got ready to license the yellow speedster in my avatar, I made copies of ads in the SOSS and pointed out that these "speedster" bodies were available from Ford dealers. The CHP inspector asked for copies of the ads and issued the license on the spot.

I would point out to those that think Model A's should be pure as the driven snow that aftermarket performance parts were available over the counter at Ford dealers for the last 100 years. I have a copy of the 1931 ad touting the availability of the Stromberg-Bendix downdraft manifold from selected Ford dealers.

There are lots of facets to this hobby. Open your minds to other points of view regarding aftermarket equipment available from 1928 to 1931 at Ford dealerships
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #45
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
When I got ready to license the yellow speedster in my avatar, I made copies of ads in the SOSS and pointed out that these "speedster" bodies were available from Ford dealers. The CHP inspector asked for copies of the ads and issued the license on the spot.

I would point out to those that think Model A's should be pure as the driven snow that aftermarket performance parts were available over the counter at Ford dealers for the last 100 years. I have a copy of the 1931 ad touting the availability of the Stromberg-Bendix downdraft manifold from selected Ford dealers.

There are lots of facets to this hobby. Open your minds to other points of view regarding aftermarket equipment available from 1928 to 1931 at Ford dealerships
Yes, there are a few certain ads out there that were promoting to the dealer to sell performance items geared towards the commercial business (AA truck power-adders) however do you have an original advertisement that verifies these speedster bodies were indeed authorized to be sold by a Ford dealership? My thought is with 'Photoshop' anything can be published, and I have never read in any of these Ford letters or SB that substantiates that. Kinda like I am sure moonshine was probably sold at a few dealerships as a "power adder" for their customer however I am not so sure these were considered "authorized".

Giving benefit of the doubt, I think it would be fun to restore a Model A that had original performance equipment installed when it left the dealership however does anyone actually have any original documentation (photo, letter, invoice, etc.) showing a new vehicle leaving the factory or the dealership with a Zephyr manifold w/ a Stromberg, a dual-point distributor, a Winfield or Riley 2P head, and exhaust headers? It is easy for some folks to get the definition of "restore", and "re-create" confused, isn't it??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 01-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #46
David Conwill

How do I define a speedster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcheese327 View Post
speed·ster /'spidst?r/ noun: a hot rod that is allowed to go on tours with restored cars of the same type because it doesn't look any newer than them.

-Dave
This one is awesome:

-Dave
David Conwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #47
2935ford

Pardon my ignorance and maybe this has been answered here before..........

Did Model A's ever get raced and if so, in speedster form? Does anyone have vintage pictures of them?

I have never seen a vintage pic of a Model A in speedster form at any race.
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #48
kenparker

Update on the "Miss E". She has some new sheet metal, new paint, new additions/upgrades to engine - that part is secret , and a better attitude. ken
Old 01-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #49
kenparker

Update on the "Miss E" . She has some new sheetmetal, new paint, and upgrade on engine. Also go a better attitude. Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rebuild 8.jpg (58.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg rebuild 7.jpg (87.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg rebuild 9.jpg (100.9 KB, 52 views)
Old 01-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #50
Jay Ess

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2935ford View Post
Pardon my ignorance and maybe this has been answered here before..........

Did Model A's ever get raced and if so, in speedster form? Does anyone have vintage pictures of them?

I have never seen a vintage pic of a Model A in speedster form at any race.

This is one link that I had saved in my favorites as it has photos of early Speedsters of all types racing at a local track in Kansas.

http://winfield.50megs.com/BoStearns.htm

This is one of my favorites from the site

Old 01-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #51
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ess View Post
This is one link that I had saved in my favorites as it has photos of early Speedsters of all types racing at a local track in Kansas.

http://winfield.50megs.com/BoStearns.htm

This is one of my favorites from the site

THAT picture of Hughes' car is actually what was called a 'Big Car' during this period. It was never really referred to, --or called a speedster back then.

Chris Egsgaard's similar car & hauler, both Model T based recently sold for what was speculated over $100k for the pair. The reason was they were actual race vehicles and not something that was re-created with 21st century mindset.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 01-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #52
2935ford

Thanks.
I like the carrier for that race car!
Anyone else have vintage Model A speedster pics.

I'm curious as to the beginnings of the "A" speedsters.
Did somebody just design this platform up for sales purposes? Anyone know the reason or original beginnings?
I have never heard the story behind them.
Seems to me....by the early 30's there were a lot more bigger, powerful race engines out there than the A banger and it would be a tough arena for it to compete in.
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #53
Purdy Swoft

The Trojan dual updraft manifold was introduced in 1930 or 31. This manifold is listed in the book Those wonderful unauthorized parts for the model A Ford. I don't know if this part could have been bought and installed at the Ford dealer or not, but it is quiet possible. This manifold is made of cast iron and is not reproduced. I believe it is kind of rare, I have seen them in pictures, but in over fifty years playing with model A's, this is the only one that I have ever seen in person. It was quiet a thrill when I was able to buy this part and install it on my roadster.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 09-08-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #54
denis4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Yes, there are a few certain ads out there that were promoting to the dealer to sell performance items geared towards the commercial business (AA truck power-adders) however do you have an original advertisement that verifies these speedster bodies were indeed authorized to be sold by a Ford dealership? My thought is with 'Photoshop' anything can be published, and I have never read in any of these Ford letters or SB that substantiates that. Kinda like I am sure moonshine was probably sold at a few dealerships as a "power adder" for their customer however I am not so sure these were considered "authorized".

Giving benefit of the doubt, I think it would be fun to restore a Model A that had original performance equipment installed when it left the dealership however does anyone actually have any original documentation (photo, letter, invoice, etc.) showing a new vehicle leaving the factory or the dealership with a Zephyr manifold w/ a Stromberg, a dual-point distributor, a Winfield or Riley 2P head, and exhaust headers? It is easy for some folks to get the definition of "restore", and "re-create" confused, isn't it??

Brent, I would refer you to a couple of books available from Amazon; The Merchants of Speed and The Business of Speed, 1915-1998. Both of these books talk about the distribution of aftermarket speed equipment for A's and T's through Ford new car dealerships. A lot of the parts available were in limited supply given the economic times then. I have a Stromberg-Bendix downdraft manifold on one of my cars. I also have an original CRAGAR head circa 1935 on the same engine. And yes I know that that's a B engine!

I'll bet money that 50 years from now, A guy displaying a 2011 Mustang with genuine Ford SVO parts on the engine will get bonus points!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C-cab 001.jpg (68.5 KB, 50 views)
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #55
Mikeinnj

How about a "Speedster FORUM" far and away from this site which is dedicated to the restoration of stock original Model A Fords......Amen.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #56
HoarseWhisperer

From Model A Day 2009, Sharon, Wisconsin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009-06-07-Model-A-Day---Sh.jpg (117.4 KB, 102 views)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #57
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Mike, I would embrace that, ...and would participate in that area. I own speedsters and have raced Model A's in several different venues. Therefore I like them alot and would promote it too, ...but I also think we should all follow the current forum rules. Maybe you or someone could petition Ryan with what your vision for that area would/could be??

Denis, I was thinking the Model B was a 1932 ...NOT a 1935. Why would the Ford dealer be selling a Cragar unit in 1935 or 1936?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 01-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #58
Mikeinnj

Most home built speedsters look like modified tractors. They really look awful....this one pictured is an exception and a fine example of a nice looking era speedster and happens to be owned by a friend of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cerbo.jpg (137.7 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by Mikeinnj; 01-09-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #59
HoarseWhisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
How about a "Speedster FORUM" far and away from this site which is dedicated to the restoration of stock original Model A Fords......Amen.
What a wonderful idea! I don't have any Speedsters, but......

All those in favor of Mikeinng taking charge of developing a "Speedster FORUM" far and away from this site, say "Aye".
Old 01-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #60
Brian LI

Quote:
Most home built speedsters look like modified tractors. They really look awful....
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

How about we at least agree that we ALL love Model A's regardless of their condition.
Brian LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #61
Jay Ess

Quote:
Let's not cut off our nose to spite our face. I am a long time Atomic Industries fan and supporter. While I am a recent member of The Barn, I am one of the original members of The Garage Journal (pre-Ryan) and an Alliance member since joining in 2007. I was a lurker on the HAMB for many years before joining.

Rule 1. Don't piss off Ryan by flagrantly breaking the rules of each forum.

That does not mean that Ryan and the moderators do not allow some leeway on the sites, but if you have been warned to stop, then stop.

Ryan has also been very open to suggestions regarding social groups, etc.. We don't quite fit at the HAMB as our cars are not really traditional rods or customs, and we are not really 100% welcome at The Barn as it has always been a site for for the care and restoration of stock autos (especially the A and T sections).

Maybe if we ask nicely, there may be an area somewhere in Ryan's sandbox that we will be allowed to play and discuss Speedsters. If you wish, I will take the point on this. js

Old 01-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #62
Jay Ess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian LI View Post
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

How about we at least agree that we ALL love Model A's regardless of their condition.
Well said Brian. I have seen that Speedster at Lead East and IMHO it does not look like any tractor I have ever seen, and it was driven to the event.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #63
HoarseWhisperer

While traveling through Virginia (or was it North Carolina?), we passed this one, only to meet again at the MARC Membership Meet in St Augustine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0170-277-web.jpg (51.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4651-085-800pixel.jpg (20.4 KB, 91 views)
Old 01-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #64
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
I too would visit such a forum as I also visit all the other forums on Fordbarn and visit HAMB as well.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #65
spdway1

Quote:
What is the definition of stock original Model A Fords?
Old 01-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #66
spdway1

Quote:
Most home built speedsters look like modified tractors. They really look awful....
Calling someone's car awful...Bad Idea, not nice!

If your not interested in a certain topic in the forum skip over it, don't read it. Thats an easy fix to your problem.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #67
spdway1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdway1 View Post

An aftermarket temp gauge radiator cap?
Old 01-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #68
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdway1 View Post
Whose term is "stock original"? The definition of 'stock' in your sentence would likely be the adjective version meaning "ordinary". The definition of "original" would come for its root word which means "the point in which something begins". For something to be ordinary, it must mean it is "common" or of many, ...which the term original has the connotation that it is the first one by which others will copy. Maybe "Restored" was the word you were seeking a definition of...?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 01-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #69
spdway1

Brett,
If you go to post #65, It was a direct quote from MikeInNJ.
Don Jr
Old 01-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #70
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgarage View Post
Professor Terry,
Will the next test be open-book?
Thanks

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 01-11-2012, 12:25 AM   #71
Huckster Dave

So Doodle bugs, Hucksters, Picoupes, Snow buggies, and Tractor conversions should not be mentioned here?
Huckster Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:41 AM   #72
modeleh

This thread reminds me of the old fordbarn.
modeleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:33 AM   #73
dumb person

j/k

Last edited by dumb person; 01-11-2012 at 02:34 AM. Reason: pointing this out as a joke because some people are far too serious
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #74
Brad in Germany

Default Original era Speedster photo

Here is an original era photo of a Speedster in Sweden:

Fordially,
Brad in Germany now in Maryland
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #75
Jay Ess

bump!

Old 02-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #76
Tinbasher

I've got to get my Sports Coupe finished so I can build a Speedster. Just looks like fun. the Old TInbasher
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #77
Pete

Model A frame, body and engine.

http://s183.beta.photobucket.com/use...04358.mp4.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roadster at Banks1.jpg (79.2 KB, 44 views)
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #78
Purdy Swoft

Here is a different view of my speedster.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:19 PM   #79
Purdy Swoft

Here is the engine. it runs a 5.9 head, Winfield cam, cast iron uniflo dual updraft manifold with dual B carbs, Mallory dual point distributor and other mods.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #80
RockHillWill

I really like this post. There are a lot of beautiful cars and some great ideas.

My project is progressing, but slower than anticipated, but here are some pics of what has been done to date.

Body2.jpg

3wc91 013.jpg

3wc91 011.jpg

3wc82 012.jpg

3wc42 032.jpg

3wc75 007.jpg

3wc40 009.jpg
Old 02-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #81
usered

I would love a speedster thread. I don't consider them hot rods as long as they are based on the model A or T running gear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001 - Copy (10).jpg (34.5 KB, 49 views)
usered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #82
Cape Codder

On post #80 by RockHillWill he talks of pictures, but all I see are small icons. I see this type of icon often on other posts. I am signed in to site but still unable to open these pictures. Why?
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #83
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
On post #80 by RockHillWill he talks of pictures, but all I see are small icons. I see this type of icon often on other posts. I am signed in to site but still unable to open these pictures. Why?
Well then, go to his personal website and view the progress there.
http://www.mantiquesresto.com/Projects/Speedster/SpeedsterHome.html

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 02-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #84
Cape Codder

Brent,
Thanks for sending the website. I wanted to learn how I could view the pictures myself. Like I said all I see are several blue icons. I have seen it on opera posts and was unable to view the pictures. Can you tell me how?
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #85
CarlG

For me, the pictures that are shown as thumbnails show up both at home and at work. All the other pictures only show up at home. Must be something in the firewall at work.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #86
48fordnut

really neat pics and conversation.
48fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:43 PM   #87
Paranoid

Am I too late?
Been a while since anyone has posted to this thread...
Hello everyone..
Im a newb..
Long time follower..
Recent member...
1st time poster..

Here is my Speedster build.

I cant figure out my youtube pic URL's.. but here is the slide show it created...I hope!

1923 Model T Speedster

http://youtu.be/XsAJEM7--VI

Last edited by Paranoid; 09-07-2014 at 10:50 PM. Reason: faild english
Paranoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #88
Purdy Swoft

Great slide show that gives lots of ideas !!!!!!!
Old 09-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #89
Spokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4F View Post
Please Ryan !!!
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:37 PM   #90
RobertB

Just a quick question....thought I might get away with it on this thread, rather than start a new one and get invited to go to the HAMB.

Anyone ever do an "underslung" conversion? Looks like a great way to lower the frame for a speedster.

Pros? Cons?

Inquiring minds want to know....