Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #41
Ross/Kzoo

Default Re: How about a Speedster Picture Thread?

This is for Brubaker :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #13.jpg (27.6 KB, 51 views)
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #42
spdway1

Who can REASONABLY build a speedster body, not a kit, not a boat tail. I called one guy and he said "Are you sure you want to put that kind of money IN A MODEL A".
Some how we got disconnected!
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #43
Purdy Swoft

Heres mine
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #44
denis4x4

When I got ready to license the yellow speedster in my avatar, I made copies of ads in the SOSS and pointed out that these "speedster" bodies were available from Ford dealers. The CHP inspector asked for copies of the ads and issued the license on the spot.

I would point out to those that think Model A's should be pure as the driven snow that aftermarket performance parts were available over the counter at Ford dealers for the last 100 years. I have a copy of the 1931 ad touting the availability of the Stromberg-Bendix downdraft manifold from selected Ford dealers.

There are lots of facets to this hobby. Open your minds to other points of view regarding aftermarket equipment available from 1928 to 1931 at Ford dealerships
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #45
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
When I got ready to license the yellow speedster in my avatar, I made copies of ads in the SOSS and pointed out that these "speedster" bodies were available from Ford dealers. The CHP inspector asked for copies of the ads and issued the license on the spot.

I would point out to those that think Model A's should be pure as the driven snow that aftermarket performance parts were available over the counter at Ford dealers for the last 100 years. I have a copy of the 1931 ad touting the availability of the Stromberg-Bendix downdraft manifold from selected Ford dealers.

There are lots of facets to this hobby. Open your minds to other points of view regarding aftermarket equipment available from 1928 to 1931 at Ford dealerships
Yes, there are a few certain ads out there that were promoting to the dealer to sell performance items geared towards the commercial business (AA truck power-adders) however do you have an original advertisement that verifies these speedster bodies were indeed authorized to be sold by a Ford dealership? My thought is with 'Photoshop' anything can be published, and I have never read in any of these Ford letters or SB that substantiates that. Kinda like I am sure moonshine was probably sold at a few dealerships as a "power adder" for their customer however I am not so sure these were considered "authorized".

Giving benefit of the doubt, I think it would be fun to restore a Model A that had original performance equipment installed when it left the dealership however does anyone actually have any original documentation (photo, letter, invoice, etc.) showing a new vehicle leaving the factory or the dealership with a Zephyr manifold w/ a Stromberg, a dual-point distributor, a Winfield or Riley 2P head, and exhaust headers? It is easy for some folks to get the definition of "restore", and "re-create" confused, isn't it??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #46
David Conwill

How do I define a speedster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcheese327 View Post
speed·ster /'spidst?r/ noun: a hot rod that is allowed to go on tours with restored cars of the same type because it doesn't look any newer than them.

-Dave
This one is awesome:

-Dave
David Conwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #47
2935ford

Pardon my ignorance and maybe this has been answered here before..........

Did Model A's ever get raced and if so, in speedster form? Does anyone have vintage pictures of them?

I have never seen a vintage pic of a Model A in speedster form at any race.
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #48
kenparker

Update on the "Miss E". She has some new sheet metal, new paint, new additions/upgrades to engine - that part is secret , and a better attitude. ken
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #49
kenparker

Update on the "Miss E" . She has some new sheetmetal, new paint, and upgrade on engine. Also go a better attitude. Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rebuild 8.jpg (58.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg rebuild 7.jpg (87.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg rebuild 9.jpg (100.9 KB, 52 views)
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #50
Jay Ess

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2935ford View Post
Pardon my ignorance and maybe this has been answered here before..........

Did Model A's ever get raced and if so, in speedster form? Does anyone have vintage pictures of them?

I have never seen a vintage pic of a Model A in speedster form at any race.

This is one link that I had saved in my favorites as it has photos of early Speedsters of all types racing at a local track in Kansas.

http://winfield.50megs.com/BoStearns.htm

This is one of my favorites from the site

Jay Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #51
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ess View Post
This is one link that I had saved in my favorites as it has photos of early Speedsters of all types racing at a local track in Kansas.

http://winfield.50megs.com/BoStearns.htm

This is one of my favorites from the site

THAT picture of Hughes' car is actually what was called a 'Big Car' during this period. It was never really referred to, --or called a speedster back then.

Chris Egsgaard's similar car & hauler, both Model T based recently sold for what was speculated over $100k for the pair. The reason was they were actual race vehicles and not something that was re-created with 21st century mindset.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 01-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #52
2935ford

Thanks.
I like the carrier for that race car!
Anyone else have vintage Model A speedster pics.

I'm curious as to the beginnings of the "A" speedsters.
Did somebody just design this platform up for sales purposes? Anyone know the reason or original beginnings?
I have never heard the story behind them.
Seems to me....by the early 30's there were a lot more bigger, powerful race engines out there than the A banger and it would be a tough arena for it to compete in.
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #53
Purdy Swoft

The Trojan dual updraft manifold was introduced in 1930 or 31. This manifold is listed in the book Those wonderful unauthorized parts for the model A Ford. I don't know if this part could have been bought and installed at the Ford dealer or not, but it is quiet possible. This manifold is made of cast iron and is not reproduced. I believe it is kind of rare, I have seen them in pictures, but in over fifty years playing with model A's, this is the only one that I have ever seen in person. It was quiet a thrill when I was able to buy this part and install it on my roadster.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 09-08-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #54
denis4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Yes, there are a few certain ads out there that were promoting to the dealer to sell performance items geared towards the commercial business (AA truck power-adders) however do you have an original advertisement that verifies these speedster bodies were indeed authorized to be sold by a Ford dealership? My thought is with 'Photoshop' anything can be published, and I have never read in any of these Ford letters or SB that substantiates that. Kinda like I am sure moonshine was probably sold at a few dealerships as a "power adder" for their customer however I am not so sure these were considered "authorized".

Giving benefit of the doubt, I think it would be fun to restore a Model A that had original performance equipment installed when it left the dealership however does anyone actually have any original documentation (photo, letter, invoice, etc.) showing a new vehicle leaving the factory or the dealership with a Zephyr manifold w/ a Stromberg, a dual-point distributor, a Winfield or Riley 2P head, and exhaust headers? It is easy for some folks to get the definition of "restore", and "re-create" confused, isn't it??

Brent, I would refer you to a couple of books available from Amazon; The Merchants of Speed and The Business of Speed, 1915-1998. Both of these books talk about the distribution of aftermarket speed equipment for A's and T's through Ford new car dealerships. A lot of the parts available were in limited supply given the economic times then. I have a Stromberg-Bendix downdraft manifold on one of my cars. I also have an original CRAGAR head circa 1935 on the same engine. And yes I know that that's a B engine!

I'll bet money that 50 years from now, A guy displaying a 2011 Mustang with genuine Ford SVO parts on the engine will get bonus points!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C-cab 001.jpg (68.5 KB, 50 views)
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #55
Mikeinnj

How about a "Speedster FORUM" far and away from this site which is dedicated to the restoration of stock original Model A Fords......Amen.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #56
HoarseWhisperer

From Model A Day 2009, Sharon, Wisconsin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009-06-07-Model-A-Day---Sh.jpg (117.4 KB, 102 views)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #57
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Mike, I would embrace that, ...and would participate in that area. I own speedsters and have raced Model A's in several different venues. Therefore I like them alot and would promote it too, ...but I also think we should all follow the current forum rules. Maybe you or someone could petition Ryan with what your vision for that area would/could be??

Denis, I was thinking the Model B was a 1932 ...NOT a 1935. Why would the Ford dealer be selling a Cragar unit in 1935 or 1936?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 01-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #58
Mikeinnj

Most home built speedsters look like modified tractors. They really look awful....this one pictured is an exception and a fine example of a nice looking era speedster and happens to be owned by a friend of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cerbo.jpg (137.7 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by Mikeinnj; 01-09-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #59
HoarseWhisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
How about a "Speedster FORUM" far and away from this site which is dedicated to the restoration of stock original Model A Fords......Amen.
What a wonderful idea! I don't have any Speedsters, but......

All those in favor of Mikeinng taking charge of developing a "Speedster FORUM" far and away from this site, say "Aye".
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #60
Brian LI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
Most home built speedsters look like modified tractors. They really look awful....
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

How about we at least agree that we ALL love Model A's regardless of their condition.
Brian LI is offline   Reply With Quote