Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
roccaas

Default How about a Speedster Picture Thread?

Various pics I've picked up over the years.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
V4F

Default Re: How about a Speedster Picture Thread?

i have ask ryan twice for a speedster catagory , but no answer ..............
steve .............. F.A.S.T.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve norcal View Post
i have ask ryan twice for a speedster catagory , but no answer ..............
steve .............. F.A.S.T.
steve,
As we keep getting reminded by unnamed others, Ryan's answer is in the header,i.e. - this site is for stock/original model As(whatever stock/original..is, other than trailer queens!).
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

....and to "muddy-up" the waters, by true definition from "back in the day", the term "Speedster" was a built up automobile that uses a hand-made body or aftermarket body.

For example, these two cars below are Speedsters by definition...

And these two cars are NOT speedsters by true definition...

Generally the reason that Speedsters have been accepted by the Model A and Model T clubs is because of the mindset that the bodies/sheetmetal were not being destroyed. Naturally there are exceptions but that was kinda the mindset. I'm not real sure the "traditional hot rod" was ever really a true tradition as seen on HAMB.

Personally, I have no problem discussing Speedsters here however I prefer not to discuss Hot Rods (cars with V8s, chopped tops, etc.). If it came down to it, I would embrace not speaking about Speedsters here too if it eliminates talking about hot rodded Model A's. Just my opinion, ...and your mileage will vary!! (And I am not picking on anyone elses cars in the pix above as all four of these cars are mine.)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
FL&WVMIKE

steve norcal, roccaas ........................
Go ahead and start a "Speedster" Thread. If Ryan did not approve, he would have said so.
I, for one, would enjoy it !
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
old1928fordguy

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Bring it on ! If it is a speedster thread,labeled as such,others would not have to open the posts and read it.Most of us only read the books we want and watch the TV shows we want thus we dont have to enjoy the speedster threads if we dont want to.
old1928fordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
Mike

This is my 1928 speedster with a 32 B engine in it

mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Mike, that's a nice looking seat. Did you make it? Any details? Thanks
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
Ross/Kzoo

My speedster is a 28 with 5.5 head and petronix ignition, no other mods. A fun car to drive and the the grandkids love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2416.jpg (101.8 KB, 298 views)
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
just plain bill

I read "The Ford Barn"> General Discussion> Model A 1928-31. The only limits I see is that the subject is to be the Model A ford and I would assume that to include all of its variations. There are people with what they call "High point cars", " Restored," "Daily drivers," "Beaters," and so on and so forth. Speedster is a term not used back in the day (when was that?) We had "puddle jumpers" "dune buggy's" We had "cut down" cars sometimes made of surplus parts, just something to drive down the dirt roads and alley's of that time. Maybe just roar around the barn until parents,neighbors and others complained of dust and noise. Then in the late 20 Th. century came a new form of stripped (cut) down "A"'s called "Speedster's" (Not really well known until the advent of the S O S S) These cars were/are painted and for the most part finished well. It is a form of expression of how some enjoy the look and feel of racing with out all of the expense but the cars are usually finished and well maintained. I remember when I came home after my Army service in the mid 50's and took the body off of the roadster pick up I now own to clean and paint the frame. not to restore just to clean it up. Well, I rigged a gas tank on it and had a "cannery" box for a seat and away I went, what a thrill, driving on a freshly graded dirt road. Dump the clutch in second and hang on to the steering wheel with a "white knuckle" grip sitting on that box. Just me, the frame, running gear and engine. I guess I' m trying to say I feel there is room for all if it applies to "A"'s If I want to discuss strictly 4 banger hot rods I go to the HAMB but I feel that is different than the individual inquiring here as to the possibility and/or the advisability of attempting to increasing power and roadability of their "A"'s. Damn, I'm getting old and I guess it shows.
just plain bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #11
Mike

Tom, I bought this car in 2001 from a good friends wife, when he passed away. Dave Baldwin was his name, the car was complete but not functional. i redid alot of the mechanicals but to answer your question the seat was on the car and I have no idea were it came from.

mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:53 PM   #12
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by just plain bill View Post
I read "The Ford Barn"> General Discussion> Model A 1928-31. The only limits I see is that the subject is to be the Model A ford and I would assume that to include all of its variations. There are people with what they call "High point cars", " Restored," "Daily drivers," "Beaters," and so on and so forth. Speedster is a term not used back in the day (when was that?) We had "puddle jumpers" "dune buggy's" We had "cut down" cars sometimes made of surplus parts, just something to drive down the dirt roads and alley's of that time. Maybe just roar around the barn until parents,neighbors and others complained of dust and noise. Then in the late 20 Th. century came a new form of stripped (cut) down "A"'s called "Speedster's" (Not really well known until the advent of the S O S S) These cars were/are painted and for the most part finished well. It is a form of expression of how some enjoy the look and feel of racing with out all of the expense but the cars are usually finished and well maintained. I remember when I came home after my Army service in the mid 50's and took the body off of the roadster pick up I now own to clean and paint the frame. not to restore just to clean it up. Well, I rigged a gas tank on it and had a "cannery" box for a seat and away I went, what a thrill, driving on a freshly graded dirt road. Dump the clutch in second and hang on to the steering wheel with a "white knuckle" grip sitting on that box. Just me, the frame, running gear and engine. I guess I' m trying to say I feel there is room for all if it applies to "A"'s If I want to discuss strictly 4 banger hot rods I go to the HAMB but I feel that is different than the individual inquiring here as to the possibility and/or the advisability of attempting to increasing power and roadability of their "A"'s. Damn, I'm getting old and I guess it shows.
Hello Bill,
AMEN to that! What 'shows' ...is your your vast experience and tolerance!! Thanks for sharing is here...now please show a pic of your winning speedster.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #13
Sparky

Back in may I started a Speedsters social group but it doesn't get much posting. I guess the problem is that you have to remember to check up on it from time to time. Anyway, here's a couple more pics of mine:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speed1small.jpg (395.7 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg speed2small.jpg (418.8 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg speed4small.jpg (455.2 KB, 336 views)
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #14
Brent

I've collected everything, except an engine block, for a A chassis-based "speedster" although I'm hesitant to call it a Speedster since that's a term I feel is more for T-chassis cars. Once I get the chassis completed, I'm going to build a wooden pattern (buck) and do an aluminum body.

Perhaps, if it's okay with the boss, I'll do a build thread here.

The photoshopped picture below is something that really inspires me.

It'll get fenders and an external brake lever, along with a round tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SURH Modified SPEEDSTER.jpg (42.3 KB, 1756 views)
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #15
just plain bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hello Bill,
AMEN to that! What 'shows' ...is your your vast experience and tolerance!! Thanks for sharing is here...now please show a pic of your winning speedster.
The car was built to be Lakes Modified. It IS a hot rod! My grandson was the driver this year, 3rd. generation to drive it. First photo is 2nd and 3rd generations. It DOES have a Model A engine!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 genarations.jpg (253.5 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7844.jpg (55.9 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg engine 1.jpg (83.0 KB, 235 views)

Last edited by just plain bill; 02-06-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #16
Dale Miller

My Avatar pix is my speedster.
when I first built it , it did not have fenders
but my wife refused to ride in it with open wheels
so it now has fenders and running boards!!
Dale Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #17
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
The car was built to be Lakes Modified. It IS a hot rod! My grandson was the driver this year, 3rd. generation to drive it. 1 st. photo is 2nd and 3rd generations. It DOES have a Model A engine!
Bill is right, it IS a Hot Rod and not a Speedster as evidenced by the cut up 26/27 body. Just because he doesn't remember the term Speedster being used doesn't suggest we should re-write history to change the name to Hot Rod.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #18
just plain bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Bill is right, it IS a Hot Rod and not a Speedster as evidenced by the cut up 26/27 body. Just because he doesn't remember the term Speedster being used doesn't suggest we should re-write history to change the name to Hot Rod.
You know I think that some people who post on here are just too serious. I don't recall insinuating that my car is/was a speedster. I stated it is a hot rod. I would ask "Are there no speedsters with "cut up" bodies on them? In my earlier post I commented that when I was younger I don't recall the term Speedster used regarding a model A unless it was used as an adjective. I do recall model T speedsters or more common "Run-a-Bouts" I remember Mercury Speedster bodies for "T"s but do not remember bodies called Speedsters for model "A"'s. I don't doubt the term could have been used predating its use in the S O S S magazine. I remember guys cutting up "A"'s to build the original "dune buggies" or "doodle bugs" and offering us "A" guy's the fenders and doors if we would take them off of the car for them. Is a car with inserts, high compression head, new counterbalanced crank, and electronic ignition with centrifugal advance any less of a hot rod? Each of those modifications as applied to the "A" were for the most part developed by the then hot rod crowd. Each item increases the performance although cannot be seen. I find this is very tiring and again ask if the forum is for all model "A" enthusiasts? I like the post that stated in so many words "If you are not interested in it don't go there". I apologize in advance to all of those I have offended today, those with high point cars and those with beaters. To all with speedsters, I'm not really trying to change the name of your car.

Last edited by just plain bill; 02-06-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #19
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
I read "The Ford Barn"> General Discussion> Model A 1928-31. The only limits I see is that the subject is to be the Model A ford and I would assume that to include all of its variations. .
Not true,

Once again I quote the owner of the site, the guy who put his hard earned money down for a site different then the HAMB site that he also owns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan on 05-09-2010, 09:59 AM View Post
We will stay focused on restoration over here. Hot rods and customs are for the hamb.
I asked about a modified section when this site first opened and was told "The modified section wasn't used much on the old Ford Barn and with the HAMB, became redundant."

There are hundreds of site that have information on Hot Rods and modified cars there are only about 5 that deal with stock.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #20
Milton

This line of discussion is probably closer to "real life" talk between Edsel and Henry back in the day. We all know how the senior Ford put the auto within reach of the masses with his use of mass production. However, Henry Ford's attitude practically killed the Company also. In fact, were it not for Edsel Ford, we might be discussing the restoration of Chevrolets.

Wiki - "After becoming president of Ford, Edsel long advocated the introduction of a more modern automobile to replace the Model T, but was repeatedly overruled by his father. Flagging sales and dwindling market share for the company, however, finally made introduction of a new model inevitable, the Model A."

"In 1932 he [Edsel] had an aluminium, boat-tailed speedster automobile custom-designed for him by Ford's first designer, E.T. (Bob) Gregorie. This car had a number of features that were not available on any other car. Most of the design features appeared in many Ford models throughout history. The car had Ford's brand-new V8, the first low-cost eight-cylinder engine. The car is considered the world's first "Hot Rod" by many car experts and historians, and one of the most desired automobiles in history."

So in essence, I feel that Henry created the Ford but, I'll give credit to Edsel for the Model A that we all care so much about, even if he was just a hot rodder at heart.
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote