Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2018, 10:51 AM   #1
Baypac

Default Modern Valve Spring Retainers 30 CCPU

My valve spring compressor arrived from Brattons yesterday and this am went out to remove the rusted spring. It was easy enough to compress the spring, but to my surprise, the retainer is a modern 2 piece. I should have felt the retainer earlier.

Further more, I suspect it is rusted to the valve stem. I looked at some YouTube videos on modern valve spring retainers, and they don't seem to apply to a model A where there is no access to tap the keeper to hold the two pieces in place.

The one thing I have found is that the engine was rebuilt very well at one time. The valve seats are all hardened and the cylinders were sleeved and bored to 3.9 inches, head was decked and is flat. The assembly of the external parts was as not of the same quality as the engine block. Gaskets sloppy with lots of silicone on all gaskets including the exhaust. Maybe the owner bought a short block and put his old parts on the rebuild and did not torque the head properly.

I looked very carefully and could not find any cracks in the block. I didn't bother checking the head because I am using the original head from my sport coupe left when I changed to a high compression Brumfield head. I had had that decked when I rebuilt that engine.

How do I get the rusted retainers removed?

Thanks,
Baypac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:06 AM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Modern Valve Spring Retainers 30 CCPU

Take several open end wrenches say 5/8,,3/4on top between tappet boss and retainer, push in to hold up retainer some, tap top center of valve lightly with very small hammer -- this should release keepers that are stuck
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:06 AM   #3
Jim Brierley

If using a 'C' type compressor, the keepers will be exposed when the spring is compressed and should be easy to remove. If using an expander type of compressor you will have to hold or tap the valve down while the spring is compressed.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:20 AM   #4
Baypac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
Take several open end wrenches say 5/8,,3/4on top between tappet boss and retainer, push in to hold up retainer some, tap top center of valve lightly with very small hammer -- this should release keepers that are stuck
Thanks, Kurt. That makes sense. How about reinstalling? I suspect I will need new retainers.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:21 AM   #5
Baypac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
If using a 'C' type compressor, the keepers will be exposed when the spring is compressed and should be easy to remove. If using an expander type of compressor you will have to hold or tap the valve down while the spring is compressed.
Thanks, Jim. I have the lever type.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:19 PM   #6
Phil Brown

Taper fit between the keeper and the retainer gets then to stick together, give it a light smack with a hammer on the retainer ( before installing the spring compressor ) to release the keepers attraction to the retainer then you can push the spring and retainer up and fish out the keepers. little magnet on a stick helps pull the keepers out
Phil Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:55 PM   #7
Baypac

Removal was not too difficult. Compressed the spring, tapped the valve down with the rubber handle on my hammer and pushed on the retainers with a small screwdriver and they came right out. Good thing I did because the old spring was badly rusted and flaked rust into the valve gallery. Now to get them back, I will need a different spring compressor to hold the spring in place while I position the retainers.

Any suggestions for make and type.

Thanks
Old 07-15-2018, 01:00 PM   #8
Baypac

The removal job was relatively easy. Compressed the spring with the lever style compressor, tapped the valve back down with the rubber handle of my hammer, and pushed on the retainers with a small screw driver.

To get them back will be more difficult. I think I need a different spring compressor so I can position the retainers. Any suggestions for style and make?

Thanks,
Old 07-15-2018, 01:34 PM   #9
100IH

Sure, not much room. Do what works with what you have. Use a dab of grease on the grooves where the keepers go. Fiberous like for the rear wheel bearing. Then squish keepers in place.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:42 PM   #10
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baypac View Post
The removal job was relatively easy. Compressed the spring with the lever style compressor, tapped the valve back down with the rubber handle of my hammer, and pushed on the retainers with a small screw driver.

To get them back will be more difficult. I think I need a different spring compressor so I can position the retainers. Any suggestions for style and make?

Thanks,
'suggestions' for style/make...
I got my C spring compressor clamp off of ebay some time back.
It is a relatively small C clamp and does the job easily.
It's adjustable, both jaws wise and height wise...having both adjustments.
Great tool and CHEAP...which makes it a model a tool guys tool ...for sure !
I think that it is the 9" or 11" sold for about $20. As said best bang for buck that I've spent on tools in years !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:54 AM   #11
Baypac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
'suggestions' for style/make...
I got my C spring compressor clamp off of ebay some time back.
It is a relatively small C clamp and does the job easily.
It's adjustable, both jaws wise and height wise...having both adjustments.
Great tool and CHEAP...which makes it a model a tool guys tool ...for sure !
I think that it is the 9" or 11" sold for about $20. As said best bang for buck that I've spent on tools in years !
I ordered one from ebay for $25 and being impatient, I went to Orchard Hardware and bought a C Clamp. Removed the rubber foot and hooked it under the keeper. Held it in place and slowly closed the clamp. Once it was high enough to clear the groove, I carefully installed the retainers in the keeper. I don't recommend this procedure, because I thought at any time the clamp would slip and I would at the least have a blood blister.

Anyway, I was lucky and the engine is going back together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2474.JPG (256.5 KB, 35 views)