Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
Jack 34pu

Default Keep the younger generations interested!!

I just got back from Hagerstown, being with my father who is dying at 89. He always loved cars and had me working on them beside him. My first recolection is of him teaching me how to drill out rivits on a Crosley brake shoe and letting me set new linings with a bench mounted rivit tool ( I was about 10). From that, he encouraged me when I got a Cushman scooter (want one now) and it just didn't have the punch I wanted. So to the junk yard and out came a Crosley transmission and into the scooter. I did everything but the welding. Dad encouraged me all the way. He surprized me in 1958 or 59 when at the supper table, he asked me what car I most wanted to trade my 49 Chevy coupe on if I came into a lot of money. My response was a 1953 Merc convertable. After supper, he got the whole family into our car and to a used car lot 25 miles away. When we arrived, there was a mint green '53 Merc conv /std shift/pwr wn & seat. Little did I know that he had already made the deal. I worked on the flathead - cleaned and painted/chrome nuts, water hoses etc. In 1960, when I left for college, Dad gave me the car outright. That flathead had the best sound ever - my 34pu doesn't come close with dual Smitheys.
Thanks to people like my Dad, Ole Ron, Walt, and many others that have added to my love of old cars - especially the flathead. If you have a son/daughter - grandson/grandaughter that seems to be hanging around when you are in the garage, hand them a wrench and see what a wonderful relationship can evolve around the love of cars.
Just my point of view.
Jack 4pu
Jack 34pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
Django

Default Re: Keep the younger generations interested!!

Sorry to hear about your father.

I'm doing my part. My 2 year old son can identify a flathead on site in person or in a magazine, and he walks around the house carrying his tools and always wants to "fix" something.

My Dad and my 2 uncles taught me so much. One uncle who passed away about 25 years ago was the family flathead guru. For about the past 23 years we kinda gave up on the flatheads, but now my Dad, my cousin and myself are getting reaquainted with them. Sure wish he was around to tinker with us, but as it turns out, my cousin is certainly a chip off the old block!
Old 12-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
Old Henry

Four years ago, when my youngest (of 10) was 15 years old we decided to restore the old '47 Ford I'd driven in high school that had sat outside my mom's house for 31 years. We spent 100 days of the next year restoring it and had an absolutely unforgettable time together. Fortunately, most of what needed doing mechanically on the car there was two of so he would watch me do one then he'd do the other while I watched and "coached." What a great time! Of course, that is so rare now days, all of his friends (and relatives) are so amazed at what he knows about cars that most guys his age have no clue about.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
hotrodart

Just check out the pic on the left.......my 4 year old grand son. Santa brought him some tools to help out in the garage.
hotrodart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:34 PM   #5
hbleadsled

Jack- you have a very goodpoint of view my Dad started me about 1948 Harold central coast Ca.
hbleadsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #6
trvguy

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
me, my grandson and my son.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0160.jpg (91.7 KB, 39 views)
trvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #7
Frank The Plumber

Sorry about your dad.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
ArmyFord

My father had a few VW bugs over the years and I had my own later on, and now I've bought my 14 year old a VW Squareback as his first car. It doesn't currently run, but I told him if he wants to drive it when he's 16, he's got to get it running (with my involvement, of course).
And to keep this Ford, I have just bought a 1948 F3 that he and my 5 year old will help with. I plan to have my 5 year old learn to drive in it.
I think it is very important to involve our kids and teach them how to work on their own vehicles. Not to mention it's a great bonding moment. I will never forget the times I spent with my father on those bugs!
ArmyFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:50 AM   #9
BLACKNRED

I have 2 sons, 19 & 16, both lads have been involved with my sickness for pre war Fords all their lives, the boys are embarking on collecting parts for a Model A roadster p/up, I gave them a few bits and bobs, Edlebrock super intake (block letter) a complete 99A Mercury engine (NOS block) and some other odds and sods, a good friend gave them a 28/29 cowl. The eldest bought 2 real nice Model A chassis', 46 rear end, 39 radius rods and axle, and today a 37 topshift gearbox, Not far from setting up and starting the build.

I am pleased both boys have taken up this exciting and wholesome interest, even though governments around the world are trying to get our vehicles off the road. I can only encourage the lads to get more involved in learning the required skills to build a car from scratch, by the time they are in their mid 20's their skill base will be valuable, not only to themselves but to others.
BLACKNRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:49 AM   #10
Ray Parson

i have 5 sons one has the bug last year he drove his 34 pickup he bilt with my tips all steel parts from all over USA CA SD NY OH ND and now hes working a 67 fairlane rancharo for his wife now. one outher son has a 53 sedan delivery i gave him hes not looked at let alone work on hes got a 34 dodge pickup to. same thing it just sets one outher thing thats on my mind is the cost of gas thay say its on its way to 5 bucks a gal how much driveing of old fords and outhers will that change i have frends in meadville PA just down the road from Hagertown its good you got to spend time with your dad at this time best of luck its aways a tuff road to go down one we all must drive far to offen you will be in my prayers

Last edited by Ray Parson; 01-02-2011 at 06:07 AM. Reason: more tex
Ray Parson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

I'm doing my best to get my grandchildren involved
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jerry's Photos 1 012.jpg (85.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Jerry's Photos 1 018.jpg (60.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Jerry's Photos 1 015.jpg (60.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Jerry's Photos 1 010.jpg (61.5 KB, 11 views)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:35 PM   #12
Automotive Stud

For what it's worth I'm 26. When I was 16 my dad got me a 67 Mustang that we did but his passion has always been earlier Fords. A few years ago he told me if I knew anyone interested in a clean '47 that had been in storage for 25 years, his friend had one for sale. Next thing you know I bought it....
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #13
46ford

I showed my son how to time engines and scrape bearings when he was 13. He built his T engine and became a master mechanic by age 20.

On the other hand, I told the stepdaughter that the '46 Mercury was going to be her car to take to college. She cried and texted her mom "OMG, No I just can't I just won't". Of course I was kidding.
46ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #14
Mike in AZ

lol...and what would you have done if she squealed with joy, demanded the keys now so she could start driving it....risky.....but cool.....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #15
oldbugger

Sorry to hear about your Father. Mine passed away 20 years ago. He got my brother and I involved with old cars at an early age. Many fond memories. Now my Grandson likes to help in the barn.
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote