Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #21
Bob NH

Smile Re: Please do Not touch!

Some time back I had a 35 Pickup which was painted Dearborn blue (very dark) with black fenders and had finger prints a lot so I made a sign that said "the color of this truck is black and blue, if you don't keep your hands off you will be too" Worked pretty darn well !
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:27 PM   #22
PeterC

Default Re: Please do Not touch!

Just like everything in life - there are reasonable ways to deal with things. I've been at shows where parents view the cars as personal entertainment for their children where they permit them - unchecked - to climb on running boards - ice cream and hamburgers with ketchup in hand, yank on window glass, open doors, trunks and climb in - pull knobs, push buttons (including starter buttons) etc. I think most would agree that is not a reasonable or safe approach for cars or kids. I believe it is incumbent upon parents to supervise their kids - teach them to respect others property and ask permission to touch or see. In most cases - any one of us would respond favorably and show the kids around - with supervision and supporting the hobby.
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #23
Ken/Alabama

My wife doest care for car shows or anything else about old cars to this day because of some guy yelling at my 5 year old daughter who is now 26 for putting her foot on the running board of his homemade woody something another . I tried to explain to the old fart that she didnt know any different because my cars are drivers and I would pay for any harm she had caused to his something another. They are just cars !!
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:41 PM   #24
46ford

I can't believe how many people used to get in my car without permission. I would never dream of doing this to someone's property. Some are even smoking a cigarette when they get in! Once I saw a rather large girl sitting on the front fender of my Model T while another took pictures. Seriously, people!

I don't mind showing people the cars. I've even let a few curious people drive my Model T. But I started locking them when I found a smoldering cigarette on the floor of my '40.
46ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:50 PM   #25
Neal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NH View Post
Some time back I had a 35 Pickup which was painted Dearborn blue (very dark) with black fenders and had finger prints a lot so I made a sign that said "the color of this truck is black and blue, if you don't keep your hands off you will be too" Worked pretty darn well !
Don't finger prints wash off? Try a little soap in the water.

If I felt that way, I would leave the vehicle at home.

Neal
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:19 PM   #26
34flathead

I would love to talk to you about my little '34 pickup, open the hood and even let you sit in it if you like, especially the kids.
but i close the windows and lock the doors when i go to the swap meet areas and when i go look at the other rides after i found ice cream on my steering wheel, yea i wiped it off but i did not replace the tee shirts that went missing.
rich
34flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #27
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Don't finger prints wash off? Try a little soap in the water.

If I felt that way, I would leave the vehicle at home.

Neal
Amen to that.

MAACO put my paint on for not a ton of money but I put Black Magic wax (rated highest by Consumer Reports) over it so that finger prints and, in fact, most any kind of dirt wipes right off with my California duster. I "dry clean" my car, even after a rain storm, with the California duster run over my Black Magic wax. Finger prints? No worries! Why threaten violence or "go ballistic" over such a piddly thing? I'd hate to think how such a person would react if something really important went wrong in their life.

(FYI: Black Magic: http://www.blackmagicshine.com/wet-shine-liquid-wax.php
California Duster: http://www.calcarduster.com/magicDuster.asp)

Last edited by Old Henry; 12-24-2010 at 01:49 AM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:39 PM   #28
Steve_S

It always amazes me how many people have feelings to the extreme ends of the spectrum. Personally I feel that it doesn't have to be so cut and dry! Anyone who wants to sit in my car may do so, but don't touch anything without asking first. It's just common courtesy. Just because it's an old car doesn't mean that courtesy doesn't apply. Ask and ye shall receive in abundance, please but do ask!

I wonder what the person who lets their kid sit in someone elses car without asking would do if they found me sitting in their minivan. Probably call the cops.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:37 PM   #29
Grandadeo

A few weeks ago at a local cruise night my son and two year old grandson T.J. stopped by. As we walked around I taught my grandson the ART of walking around old cars. It was a gas to watch him walk around until they left - with his hands folded behind his back.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50
Grandadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:29 AM   #30
Old Henry

We must have a higher class of car show spectators in Utah. I've shown my car in about 20 shows in the last 4 years and have never encountered any disrespect of my car from anyone nor any of the "unauthorized touching" that so many are referring to. Lucky me, I guess.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:38 AM   #31
Old Henry

Thumbs up Re: Please do Not touch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandadeo View Post
I taught my grandson the ART of walking around old cars.
Way to teach, Grandpa! Would that all parents and grandparents were so diligent.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:33 AM   #32
Hoop

"I think most would agree that is not a reasonable or safe approach for cars or kids. I believe it is incumbent upon parents to supervise their kids - teach them to respect others property and ask permission to touch or see. In most cases - any one of us would respond favorably and show the kids around - with supervision and supporting the hobby."

However, in some cases, the kids will have to learn to behave the hard way:

(Skylar honey, mommy wants you to stop running around with that fork and sit down and eat your cake with the other kids. OK? Please sweetie somebody might get hurt. Skylar, how many times does mommy have to ask you? OK? I going to count to one thousand then mommy wants you to sit down. Please do it for mommy. OK? One ... two ... )

Old 12-24-2010, 07:34 AM   #33
Fibber Mcgee

I'm glad to see people on here with the right attitude.I think we all know when you drive an antique people are going to be interested.I appreciate all the hard work put into their "Show Car" but if they are that protective maybe it would be safer in their garage.My truck is by no means a show truck its a work in progress but I drive it about 50 miles a day and if I stop and someone asks questions I always try to talk because maybe the will get into the hobby and save another piece of history.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:55 AM   #34
Mike51Merc

I'm all for being a nice guy and my car is a driver, but it is shiney black and I do try to keep the paint from getting any more scratches. Sadly, not everyone is smart and not everyone has good intentions. I certainly want people to enjoy my car when I take it out for a show or cruise, but I don't want to suffer for it. I had to stop a woman from climbing on my fender to pose for a photo. Guys reach into my engine compartment while leaning over the fender with huge belt buckles or overalls with metal rivets on them. We've seen cars intentionally scratched (keyed) and other pranks like messing with the firing order of the ignition wires. We've had ice cream spills and other food stuff happen. Once a friend saved my fender skirts from being stolen.

When I cruise, I go to see the other cars, which means I'm not watching mine. The least line of defense is a polite sign in a visible place.

RESPECT THE OWNER, RESPECT THE SIGN, PLEASE.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:05 AM   #35
Frank The Plumber

You guys must live in Utopia, among ourselves, us car guys, our kids are usually well behaved, adults too. It's the spectators that pull up in the mini van with a carload of devil babies that bring out those signs. The guy who wants to assault you because you are asking him to remove his 9 year old from your car because he just stabbed your seat with his pocket knife or sharpied "SUK" on your dash. The grinning guy with the "i'm with stupid T shirt" the one with the arrow that actually points up, that hung around your car so he could snag your shifter knob, cause he is in need of counseling, or time served. The 350 pound guy who just has to do he secret test on your running boards that bends them and laughs to his 92 pound friend that it would still be attached if ya hada dun it rite. Those signs are not for the regular folk, they are for the hateful, stupid, rude and just plain ignorant people out there who need a sign to keep them from putting their hand in the snow blower, head in a log chipper or drinking anti freeze. While I do not advocate the signs I do respect in most cases the types of situations that cause them to be placed. Next time you see a gent sittin there with a sign, ask him why it is there, you may get a heck of a tale out of him. You guys need to go shopping with your wives, see society at it's finest.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #36
Fibber Mcgee

Frank the Plumber,point well taken I guess we can agree on be as friendly as we can to people who want to look but watch for "people who need signs".
Old 12-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #37
Mike in Mass

I remember my dad going ballistic when I was a small kid when I touched his cousins car . the OIL in your fingers will disturb the PAINT ! to this day I,m wicked self consious about my kids at a show (or at my dads) touching a car. It s sad but it was drilled into me. I,ll never have a shiny paint job on my truck ,,,I might just leave it flat black primer for ever . that way my kids can climb all over it ,,,Hey hoop is that fork picture real ?? ouch! I know it is, but man , makes my nose krinkle just lookin at it MP

Last edited by Mike in Mass; 12-24-2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: N
Mike in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:54 AM   #38
19Fordy

I don't mind showing people the cars. I've even let a few curious people drive my Model T. But I started locking them when I found a smoldering cigarette on the floor of my '40.[/QUOTE]

"Unreal"
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:21 AM   #39
hbleadsled

bcharlton- I agree and I agree with Kahuna too and Old Henry that is the best yet. Merry christmas to ALL. Harold central coast Ca.
hbleadsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:30 AM   #40
Kube

I seem to be at the opposite end of most opinions expressed thus far on this subject.
I am careful parking near some guys rusty 78 Chevy at the local store. After all, it is HIS rusty Chevy - not mine.
I have seen such complete lack of respect for others property, it makes me wonder how much further we can travel this downward spiral.
Anyway, many of you know the cars I've restored. I sometimes spend over 400+ hours on body and paint work. The cars are needless to say, as perfect as possible. To have some guys unruly kid jump up on my running board with an ice cream cone in one hand (this has happened) is enough to send me into a 'bad mood' (read: aggressive).
Remember, the bottom line is: It's MY car. if you want to touch, it's easy (proper and polite) to ASK to do such.
It's called 'manners' where I came from. I don't buy into "that's just the way it is" stuff. It isn't the way it's supposed to be. Allowing disrespectful behavior to continue unchecked only furthers its acceptance.
Kube is online now   Reply With Quote