Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #21
1930fordor

Default Re: Robertson head screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Tudor View Post
Up here in Canada we almost exclusively have Roberson head screws. They are used in every application from wood, machine etc and are widely available everywhere. The screws hold on the tip of the driver and the screw shaft will typically break before the head strips. Do you guys have them in the US?
The US woodworking shows I watch call them square drives
1930fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:41 PM   #22
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Up here in Canada we almost exclusively have Roberson head screws. They are used in every application from wood, machine etc and are widely available everywhere. The screws hold on the tip of the driver and the screw shaft will typically break before the head strips. Do you guys have them in the US?
We have some and I mostly see them on deck screws and on trailer side panels.

Another different kind of screw is the ones on my old Chevy from the 50's on the horn button. It was called a "butterfly head" as I recall. That was another good design for holding onto the screwdriver tip and for giving a good grip without stripping or rounding the screwdriver tip.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:54 PM   #23
Peter J

Tinker,
How did you track down the origin or your baby as Canadian? I was curious and found even the screws holding the speedo in are Robinson. Hummmm.
Peter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #24
1930fordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Another different kind of screw is the ones on my old Chevy from the 50's on the horn button. It was called a "butterfly head" as I recall. That was another good design for holding onto the screwdriver tip and for giving a good grip without stripping or rounding the screwdriver tip.
Is this the tip you where talking about?
1930fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:58 PM   #25
Tinker

Well I'm guessing but, I bought it by way of Canada, i have pictures of the Canadian farm it was pulled from prior, and the ca-XXXX numbers on the 4 banger. So I think it is. You never know, I guess.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #26
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930fordor View Post
Is this the tip you where talking about?
Yes, that's the one. I remember seeing those type screws used on some 50's Chevrolet's, but don't remember seeing them on anything since.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:22 AM   #27
Craig Lewis

Canadian Model A's have Robertson door hinge screws & the ones near the top of the windshield frame facing fwd.
Pretty much everywhere that you guys see a slot screw, we have Robertson.
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:02 AM   #28
Gord. B by the bay

The size of square goes by the colour of the handle from the smallest to the largest is orange-yellow-green-red-black used extensively in the electrical Trade and wood work Trade, the story above about Henry and Mr. Robertson is very true The original factory was in Milton Ontario and is now in the Montreal area.
Have a Great Day
Gord. B by the Bay
Gord. B by the bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #29
Farrell In Vancouver

I borrowed this from the Model "A" Owners of Canada Inc.site:
What are the most common differences between Canadian and US Model A's?

>Canadian cars: Use Robertson screws throughout the interior body panel supports.
EVERYTHING inside the car was held with these square headed (Robertson) screws.
>Cast steel (iron?) bowl fuel filter assembly was changed to a glass type Jan 1929.
>Starter switch attached to starter using round headed Robertson screws.
>Champion Spark Plugs had "Made in Canada" on one side & "REG IN 3X CANADA" under the word
"CHAMPION" on the other.
>Rear lamp housings are different then the US types.
>Car horns were made by E.A. , or G.I.M. and Ames. Spartan is a US company.
>Stainless steel one - piece hubcaps were used on Canadian cars.
>Shock absorbers have "MADE IN CANADA", or "CAS" stamped on the cover.
>Tire valve stems were made by Schrader or Dill, with Canadian ID on them.
>Heinze/Ames wipers were not used on Canadian cars. E.A. and Trico were the most common.
>Canadian cars ('30- '31) had front forged fender brackets instead of stamped.
>Canadian bumper clamps are not recessed or painted blue. They are chromed, plain and have nothing on the surface
(front) - June 1928 - August 1930. The rear were the same, however, 1928 - 29 had Ford Script recessed in to the middle of the rear clamps, with some finding their way onto all 4 positions. It depended on what was in stock that day.
The rest of the time period ('31-'32)- had the holding bolt going through the plate to the back mounting plate (black) before being secured with a nut/ washer.
>The front center bumper clamp was a miniature of the above big ones over the same time period. Except the early 1928's were round, (2 1/2") Ford Script and had "MADE IN CANADA", in raised letters, on a nickel finished cover.
>Canadian Radiator badges for 1929 to late 1930 were plain Ford script with NO paint in the recess part of the badge.
A chrome finish was added in the late '30s. The 1928's passenger vehicles had a deep royal blue, almost black, baked enamel
background set in a nickel badge. Commercial vehicles had a straight black finish in the recess.
>Tools for the Canadian cars were under unique part #'s and had MADE IN CANADA stamped on the majourity of them.
>Owners Manuals, Instruction books also had "Ford Motor Company of Canada, Limited" on the front covers.
>Some Canadian Vehicle colours are listed under different names, which were listed in the May 1930 Canadian Parts book.
This fails to differentiate colour shade/ tone shifts as a result of no standardized CDN manufacturing procedures and the actual materials used. >> An example; the 'Ford Maroon' is used on the US '31 Town Sedan, whereas the CDN Town Sedan was painted with a 'Henna Red' the difference being in the shade of paint. >> A March 1931 Canadian Service Letter lists 12 standard colours for the Town Sedan, but doesn't name them. Until the Judging Standards Committee authorizes changes to the MARC/MAFCA standards, points may be deducted for any deviation from them. This means Canadian A's, painted in CDN colours, will loose points if we can't prove the difference outside the standards. (Thanks to Ian Lavery for this info)
>It was also in 1923, when Ford called the 2-door sedan a Tudor. Ford of Canada adoptedthe same name for it, and even went further and called the 4-door sedan a Fordor. Ford used that term for many years, but it originated in Canada and used it for five years before it was utilized in the United States. Both countries continued on, with these names, from the Model A's and B's and on to future products.
>The arrival of the Model A brought a much greater variety of body types, though Ford of Canada never produced quite all the body styles made south of the border. Model A station wagons, for instance, were never made in Canada. Ford of Canada constantly tried to keep a high level of Canadian content in it's production lines.
(go to: http://www.ford.ca/app/fo/en/our_com...e_war_fords.do for more interesting info).

I am still looking for the Canadian Plant code info..........maybe on my home PC
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #30
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Yes, that's the one. I remember seeing those type screws used on some 50's Chevrolet's, but don't remember seeing them on anything since.
I believe this is called a clutch drive.

I grew up in a family of carpenters and often heard "square drive" called Robertson drive.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #31
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTube View Post
I believe this is called a clutch drive.

I grew up in a family of carpenters and often heard "square drive" called Robertson drive.
Yes, I couldn't remember the term, but I'm sure "CLUTCH DRIVE" is the correct name, even though they have also been called "butterfly drive" by some.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:20 AM   #32
HoarseWhisperer

Those interested in Canadian manufactured Model A's, might consider joining Canadian Model A Ford Foundation at:

http://www.cmaff.com/index.html

There are links to research and a library.
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:19 AM   #33
HoarseWhisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
Thanks Don,
I wonder how it ended up with the Robertson screws? I looked at Canadian plants on Wikipedia which indicated that the only plant during Model A years was Windsor.
Pete
Peter,

The Ford Motor Company of Canada Parts Price List of 1931 indicates the factory & home office in East Windsor, Ontario, with assembling plants in:

Toronto, Ont
Montreal, Que
Winnipeg, Man
Vancouver, B. C.

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:32 AM   #34
Jerry Parr WI

Silly question maybe, but would the standard Model A differential drain plug be considered a Robertson screw?
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:48 PM   #35
Terry, NJ

Quote:
Yes, We have them, but they are not too common. Mostly, we have Phillips heads. They tend to strip out under duress. Mostly, you see the Robertson drive on SS deck screws.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote