Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2016, 07:10 PM   #1
Markymark

Default Prepping Flathead to run after it has been sitting???

I'm looking for general maintnance items to prep my Flathead 8 to run....The truck has been sitting for about 6-7 years...Any Pointers would be great...The truck ran fine prior to it sitting (just around the yard)...

*All liquids will be drained for starters...new plugs , filters etc...

****What BRANDS are you using?...Plugs?... Oil?...Filters?...Antifreeze?...Any model specific numbers would be great...
Markymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:59 PM   #2
41Joe

Default Re: Prepping Flathead to run after it has been sitting???

From the knowledge that I have learned on this site, I think maybe checking to see if the motor turns freely by hand first to see if it stuck or not.
If it ran good before and it turns freely, make sure you have a good quality oil (up for debate), I prefer Autolite plugs (that's just me). At this point I would try and start it.
41Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:39 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Might try a site search, there have been several threads on the topic and they include extensive list of things to consider, check and do before attempting a startup. If you can't find them post a note and someone will point you in the correct direction.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:52 PM   #4
Vanspeed

I am doing this within the next week or two so I am also interested. I am pulling the pan, cleaning it out and checking the oil pump and screen. I am going to pull the intake just to see what is under it. Might put some MMO down the spark plug holes for a day or two. Check the points, wires, and fire her up.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:55 AM   #5
Mart

Maybe I'm reckless but all I would do is turn it over two full revs by hand to make sure the valves are all moving and try and start it.

I'm probably oversimplifying it. I'd probably pull the plugs, squirt some oil down each bore, clean the plugs if necessary (don't bother if they look ok) and check for a spark at the points.

I'd pour some gas down the carb and light 'er off.

Maybe reckless isn't the right term. More like I'm prepared to fix something if it breaks.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:07 AM   #6
Randy1944

Just yesterday, I finally got to the point of starting my engine. It turns over by hand, but is a little tight. I tried with the battery and it turns it slowly, but would not start. The battery ( an old Optima) pulled down and I have bought a new one and will try later today.
I sure hope the new battery makes a difference.
Randy
Randy1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:51 AM   #7
Markymark

I tried to post this last night from my phone...but ran out of time.....BEFORE I post anything on this site I pull searches...I generally search 20 pages and sift through whatever posts I feel are "close" to my search...as enjoyable and interesting as some of these post may be , they do not always "hit the mark" all the time...and then 1 hour turns to 2 hours and 2 turns to 3 hours of searching etc....

****What I'm really looking for is a "DATA BASE" or feel one should be made for the "Maintenance of Flatheads" (4 , 6 and 8s)....one or two pages of "GENERAL" types,brands,weights,correct / up to date cross reference numbers , how many quarts / gallons etc...of...OILS,SPARK PLUGS,PLUG WIRES, DISTRIBUTER CAPS,COOLANTS,FILTERS,LUBES...and where to find them...a DATA BASE that one doesn't have to sift through 100s of posts to get an answer...A standing page per engine a "A STOCK STAND ALONE GENERAL KNOWLEDGE BASE" of it ALL ...that you can't post to and is moderator controlled?...

****I know everyone has their "Favorite Brands" and "Reasons for them"... And there are other "FACTORS" involved...(aluminum heads, weather of your region, 6v or 12v etc...)...thats where YOUR specific post can come into play...LOOKING FOR A ONE STOP SHOP..."A SHOPPING LIST"... so to speak...1 or 2 pages so someone can SAVE TIME (which is HARD to come by for some)...IF possible this would be GREAT for the NEWBIES or others...THANKS , MARK

Last edited by Markymark; 02-25-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Markymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:29 AM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

VanPelt has a lot of this type of information:

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_startup.htm

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...48_221-239.htm
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:46 AM   #9
G.M.

I have started a large number of flatheads over the last 30 years. I only had one
that wouldn't turn over and start, mice peed on the cam. I spray MMO down both
sides of the carb, in all plug holes and down in the oil fill pipe using a parts washing
gun. I started 8 or 9 last year that sat 10 or more years. Just about all needed a
fuel pump. I drained the gas tanks and flushed out with denatured alcohol, blew air through the pick up tube at the tank and the fuel line to the pump. I think I may
have had to clean one carb. The distributor points may get a little film and I
sprayed some contact cleaner in on some of the points. I put a paper towel over
the gas filler neck and with my mouth blow fuel up to the flex line. Had to replace
most flex lines with one made by Bob Shewman 1-610-933-6637 or
[email protected] It takes to much off the battery when cranking to get fuel.
Most won't start with gas because of a weak spark. I use starter fluid which will
fire on a weaker spark. I have someone inside to work the starter and gas. After
the engine starts turning on the starter I give it two shots of starter fluid and the
driver works the choke and gas pedal but not enough to flood it. I may have to
give it a few shots to keep it running. One it starts it burns the points clean.
Always have a fire ext on hand. G.M.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:27 PM   #10
Willit Stop

My little 21 stud sat in a garage for 20 years.I cleaned up the points,checked the plugs and poured a little gas down the carb.It fired up instantly.Lucky I guess.
Willit Stop is online now   Reply With Quote