Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2016, 07:31 PM   #1
Markymark

Default The story of YOUR FORD...car , pickup , truck , commercial vehicle

Did you dig it out of a swamp?...Rescue it from RUST?...Win it in a card game?...Was your car raced?...Was it a Moonshine runner?...Been in a bank robbery?...Has it been in your family for years?...Was it owned by someone famous?...Has your truck worked the fields of the family farm?...Did it transport flowers , loads of stone or dead bodies???...

***What is the story of your FORD????

*My 1950 Ford panel truck...

I found the truck locally about 10 years ago...Originally the truck came from Cambridge Nebraska...I researched the signage on the truck and I was able to track down a relative of the original owner...The family started out as morticians in the 1930's...(I asked if there were any dead people transported in the back and sadly i was told...NO )... The son branched into TV and appliance and Philco radio repair...he also had a furniture business too...I was told he bought the truck new...and it was used for home pick up and deliveries for the business...I am still trying to get some more "family history" of the truck and maybe some pictures of it back in the day...as of now the signage is faint on the sides of the truck...but i plan to spice it up enough to read...and then get it back on the road...I may decide down the road...in time...to change the signage to "Mark's Mortuary..."You kill em"..."we chill em"...BUT... that will be another story...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6418.jpg (88.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0938.jpg (35.3 KB, 70 views)
Markymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:41 PM   #2
rheltzel

Default Re: The story of YOUR FORD...car , pickup , truck , commercial vehicle

Here's the story of my '35...see pages 4 and 7-14
http://clutchchatter.org/wp-content/...tchChatter.pdf
rheltzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:02 PM   #3
ford38v8

Great story Mark, and by all means, save the original signage! I see you're painting the top, and likely the hood, Total rust is not so good, but hope you can save the body paint for the patina?
Old 02-23-2016, 08:22 PM   #4
funrunr

Great story and thanks for sharing with us.
Don't know if you already sanded both sides. If not, try using as a brass brush to remove the rust. It will not remove the paint and would help preserve the signage.
Mark
Old 02-23-2016, 08:44 PM   #5
Markymark

Richard thank you for the GREAT story...as you had said...We are stewards and temporary caretakers of pieces of history...and I feel the same way,No matter how big or small the story...I hope to add to "My piece of history" Similar stories for my kids to remember and enjoy...."No matter what" it's still History...Thanks Again!
Old 02-23-2016, 09:01 PM   #6
Markymark

I am in the process of taking care of the roof and major rust through out...(I am setting up an album now of my process)...(as for the signage... the truck didn't come from Ford Motors that way)...BUT...I DO ENJOY IT...and the plan for now is to make the truck drive safe...remove the major rust , fix the signage up enough to read and keep and drive the truck as is...patina and all !!! In time things may change...

**** Enough of my story...What's the story of your FORDS?...
Old 02-23-2016, 09:19 PM   #7
gearhead1952

Love the F1 panel trucks. Have had several. Too many stories to list here. Had one I wrote up on the hamb about a panel truck used for a dairy but looks like it is no longer there since the upgrade.

Check out the brown 49 in my albums. I made a youtube of it just search for my username.
gearhead1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:38 PM   #8
TonyM

This 1937 Ford De Luxe Fordor was in storage for 50 years. The last time it was driven on a street was during the Kennedy administration. I brought it back to life in 2013. A lot of help from FordBarn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40340005.jpg (78.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0386.jpg (87.9 KB, 61 views)
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:11 PM   #9
rheltzel

It's beautiful. My favorite year of Fordor...a transition car...still has elements of earlier Fords, but a precursor to later models.
rheltzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:21 PM   #10
34pickup

I am the original owner of my 34 pickup. I bought it brand new In October of 1934 after I worked at my first job for a while. I saved up for years to pay cash for a new truck after I wore out my old Model A.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34pickup.jpg (65.5 KB, 95 views)
Matt 24:36-41

Last edited by 34pickup; 02-23-2016 at 10:22 PM. Reason: photo
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:46 AM   #11
RalphG

Both of mine were my dad's cars. The 39 Deluxe and the 52 Merc. A few more details and photos of the Merc are in this video I made last winter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzMLwD36KeI
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:35 AM   #12
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34pickup View Post
I am the original owner of my 34 pickup. I bought it brand new In October of 1934 after I worked at my first job for a while. I saved up for years to pay cash for a new truck after I wore out my old Model A.
How many Barners can say that? Not many I would guess. Well done 34pickup.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:59 AM   #13
edhd58

Found mine at the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville, KY. Wasn't really looking to buy, I had just been wanting something for a while. Me and the misses were wandering the Swap Meet part and saw this setting on the back row. Supposedly it was saved from going to the crusher by the guy I got it from. He had a friend in another state working at a salvage yard that knew this guy liked old cars. It came in to be crushed and the one friend called the other, the rest is history. It was 99% complete only missing the hood ornament, was running an hour after I got it home but smoked like crazy. Now 4 summers later, it is almost done. 1942 Ford Fordor, mostly "original".
edhd58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:53 AM   #14
19Fordy

Here's my story. An article I wrote and keep in the glove box for the next owner. Photo date should be 1961.

“ 19FORDY” Classic Coupe Evolution - from dream to reality

Ever get the feeling that it’s taking forever to complete your car project and you’ll never get it done? Time is passing but your wheels still aren’t rolling? Well, don’t be discouraged. Jim Pullen, in Coral Springs, FL often felt that way, but the little voice “Don’t give up.” pushed him to finally finish his 1940 Ford DeLuxe coupe. It was a 37 year evolutionary process that transformed the coupe from wreck, to restored classic, to the hot rod Jim always wanted to build.

Let’s flip the calendar back to the early 1960’s, when as a teenager in Poughkeepsie, NY, Jim dreamed of some day owning the neat little old 1940 Ford coupe that was the daily driver of an old gentleman down the street. Each morning Jim wistfully eyed his dream car and listened for the motor boat rumble of its 85 HP engine as it slowly passed by the bus stop. This daily reminder kept the dream alive and many times motivated Jim to get up in time to go to school.

Then during his senior year in 1961, for several mornings in a row, the “dream coupe” failed to appear. And it wasn’t parked in its driveway as usual. Word spread that the coupe had been wrecked and was parked at the local Esso gas station. Sure enough, the insurance company had “totaled it” and one of Jim’s friends quickly bought it for $200, replaced the damaged sheet metal and front suspension with junk yard parts, and two years later sold it to Jim for $400, a hefty sum as,“I was only making $1.05/hr working at the local supermarket.”

After relishing the reality of finally owning his dream car, he drove the 40 for a while then stored it for six years while in college followed by three years in the Peace Corps. Finally in 1971 it was full steam ahead on the 40 coupe. Jim towed it to Fulton, NY where well known sprint car racer and engine builder Eddie Bellinger charged $50 to assemble the 1950 Mercury flathead engine block and parts Jim had been carrying around in the trunk of his 57 Pontiac. The build included a complete balanced 3 3/8 x
4 1/8 inch Crankshaft Company stroker kit with Jahn’s racing pistons plus a ¾ cam and other “goodies” from Almquist Engineering in Milford, PA. (Jim still has the receipts!) At that time, overhead valve engines were really popular but, “I remembered the motor boat rumble and wanted a strong flatty.”

Life was good until one day the 296 broke during a cold 1971 Wisconsin winter. Not having time to rebuild, he replaced it with a running seventy-five dollar 1951 8BA. Sadly, the “stroked flatty” was left behind as Jim piled all his belongings into the coupe and drove to Florida to begin his career as an industrial arts teacher. To this day he wonders whatever happened to that engine and wishes he had somehow stuffed it into the 40’s huge trunk. The 296 Stroker decal on the rear quarter window is his reminder.

Shortly after arriving in Ft. Lauderdale Jim joined the local AACA and in 1973 decided it was time to restore the old Ford coupe to its original pristine look. This began an off-frame restoration that included a complete mechanical rebuild of the engine chassis, new wiring and a new LeBaron-Bonney interior. During the build several good friends came to the rescue and helped with their expertise. Jim’s wife sewed up new burlap spring pockets for the bench seat coil springs. All chrome was replated to show quality and since he couldn’t locate decent chrome whiskers that fit above and below the ashtrays, Jim made exact replacements out of mild steel and had them chrome plated. “That’s the part of the car I’m most proud of because they are so unique.” After finishing the bodywork he used a friend’s garage with a lift and sprayed on several coats of Martin Senour black 8800 acrylic enamel with hardener and buffed it out a few weeks later. New correctly dated 1939 Ford script glass plus four new Lester 6:00 x16 wide whitewall tires and hubcaps completed this part of 40’s evolution.

Jim also rebuilt the stock 8BA Ford $75 engine and updated the internals with Johnson adjustable tappets, new valves and valve guides plus rings and bearings.

It was 1988 and the “40” had been off the road for fifteen years. The old coupe, wrecked in 1961, now featured the original classic look of designer Bob Gregorie’s original 1940 Ford, except for the newly rebuilt 1951 Ford V-8 hiding under the hood. But more changes were to come.

Now, fast forward, from 1999 to the present. Although he liked the beauty of a stock 1940, Jim still yearned for the hot rod look of the hot rods featured in the “The Classic Coupes” article of the Sept. 1959 little pages edition of Rod & Custom Magazine left in the 40’s glove box by the previous owner many years before. A California rake to give the required look and stance was just the ticket. Installing a 4 inch Magnum dropped axle with dropped steering arms and a Posie spring lowered the car 3 inches. That wasn’t enough so 15 inch rims with a big and little tire combination were bolted on. This resulted in a total drop of 4 5/8 inches and provided “the look” that put the front chin pan down in the weeds.

It was also time to freshen up under the hood. The 8BA block was modified to accept Motor City Flathead early style heads with centered water outlets. The original split- core radiator gave way to a new Walker. A Mallory electronic distributor and coil replaced the originals along with an Offenhauser intake and a Holley 390 fed by an electric pump. Machining a custom made fan carrier pulley with an adjustable bracket enabled Jim to center the 12 volt alternator and mount it down low between the polished aluminum radiator hoses for a less bulky appearance. New chrome plated lower radiator hoses fabricated from 1 ½ inch copper pipe and elbows replaced the old style rubber originals. The old Fenton cast iron headers were Jet Hot coated along with new dual exhaust exiting through Smithy mufflers. Registering the coupe with the distinctive
“19 FORDY” Florida license plate was the final step of this classic’s evolution.

As Jim reflects upon the long journey since first seeing his dream car rumble by the bus stop so many years ago, he concludes that it was well worth it. “If you hang in there and not give up, you can make your dream come true.”

(Written by Jim Pullen, May 1, 2008)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00806.jpg (46.0 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 02-24-2016 at 09:07 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:32 AM   #15
Barry-ct

My 50 F-1 was driven every day back in the 1960's by my best friend's Dad. He was a fireman in a nearby city. He also used it to haul building materials when he built his house down the street from us. Very talented man. I helped him build a garage in the backyard, which fueled my love for carpentry. I rode in that truck many times during those years.
He had sort of retired it in the early 70's, and it sat in a pole barn they had for horses. I always wanted it. In 1974 while working in my Dad's 7-11 , My friend's Dad came in one night for Milk and we talked about Hershey. He left and 4 guys held me up and shot me in the leg. My friends father had gotten in the car and backed away, but saw what was going on and came back. He got out of the car and they killed him. A nightmare.
The truck sat for many years until 1983 when I finally bought it and another one for parts. I tore the truck apart and worked on it off and on ( more off ) as I raised a family which took all my extra $$ as you all know how that works. There isn't a lot of the original truck in my restoration, but I consider it still my friends Dad's truck. I have been able to work on the truck in the last 5 years and have made forward progress on it. I've been repairing lawn mowers, etc.. as a hobby to buy stuff for the truck, but that cuts into truck time a lot. I'm disabled ( Diabetes, 51 yrs ) , but I still want to work on the truck. It's getting hard, as arthritis is taking it's toll on my hands. I've restored a few cars and truck ( army ) but this one has always been my favorite. Maybe it is a tribute to my friend's Dad.
That's my story......

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:05 AM   #16
Vanspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34pickup View Post

If you don't mind me asking. How old are you??
Old 02-24-2016, 11:01 AM   #17
Mart

^^ At least 108. Not bad, being internet savvy and building a W motored pickup at that age.

Remarkable!
Old 02-24-2016, 11:38 AM   #18
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
^^ At least 108. Not bad, being internet savvy and building a W motored pickup at that age.

Remarkable!
I came up with 98 if he was 16 when he bought it, or perhaps you are using 'whitworth years'. Never could keep a set of those wrenches in my BSA days.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:18 PM   #19
Mart

I added 10 years to save up the money after getting to working age, and having the Model A for long enough after driving age to wear it out.

Mart.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:19 PM   #20
34pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanspeed View Post
If you don't mind me asking. How old are you??
twenty six
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote