Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-19-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
MrTube

Default how long does spray paint last?

I have several cans of Seymour brand stainless steel paint. Its dated November 2006. It was kept in a heated garage for 3 years. One can was used a year ago or so and I did some testing with it. After some shaking it sprayed fairly decent. I know Seymour says the shelf is only 2 years.

How can I tell if the unused cans are good? Is there anything specific to look for?
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
pooch

Default Re: how long does spray paint last?

Paint inside a sealed aerosol can should last indefinitely.

If it can be shaken and sprays out, it should be good to go.

Acrylic lacquer in a capped tin lasts for decades, as the volatiles evaporate, it only needs thinners added to use again.

Enamel is different.

It has driers added, so if the enamel skins over and that is removed to spray with what is left, it will be driers deficient and not cure properly.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
Doug in NJ

I have found that when spray cans are too old, something in the valve mechanism gets gummed up and they stop spraying. Usually this happens suddenly, about half way through a job...

Since there is no atmospheric oxygen in the can, and no way for it to leak in, the paint itself should last almost forever.

Doug
Old 10-19-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
Tacoma Bob

MMMMMM Shelf life is an issue according to the technical folks at min-wax products. Three years maybe is what I was told. Some of the chemical componants, colors, dyes and gases decompose after a time or so they told me.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:03 AM   #5
Craig Lewis

I have over 300 colours on my rack, many are over 20 yrs old and they all spray fine if I want them to.
The #1 cause of spray can trouble is our failure to shake em up.
Keep in mind that with spray bombs the pickup tube rests smack-dab in the middle of an inch of gummy paint sediment at the bottom. Just because we don't pry off a lid and get forced to mix it in .... doesn't mean it ain't there.
I've seen guys pickup a 2 year old spray can and give it a little "test shot" just to see if it works. Can you say instant pluggage?
If you force yourself to shake an aerosol, upside down, for a minimum of 2 minutes BEFORE giving it that little "test shot" ...you'll rarely have trouble.
This being said, I've found Rustoleum aerosols to be the biggest challenge. I suspect it stems from the high concentration of solids they give you (a good thing) but they always need an extra minute of shaking and sometimes I have to still clean the nozzle with compressed air a couple times before they cooperate.
Soaking the can in some warm water for a few minutes does wonders to make it spray better as well...the warmer fluid becomes thinner so it atomizes finer & seems to dry faster.
Finally, before recycling empties remove the nozzle buttons and toss em in a little jar of lacquer thinner. Before long you'll have a ready supply of clean nozzles in case one plugs up. There's 2 or 3 different sizes.
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:29 AM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Lewis View Post
I have over 300 colours on my rack, many are over 20 yrs old and they all spray fine if I want them to.
The #1 cause of spray can trouble is our failure to shake em up.
Keep in mind that with spray bombs the pickup tube rests smack-dab in the middle of an inch of gummy paint sediment at the bottom. Just because we don't pry off a lid and get forced to mix it in .... doesn't mean it ain't there.
I've seen guys pickup a 2 year old spray can and give it a little "test shot" just to see if it works. Can you say instant pluggage?
If you force yourself to shake an aerosol, upside down, for a minimum of 2 minutes BEFORE giving it that little "test shot" ...you'll rarely have trouble.
This being said, I've found Rustoleum aerosols to be the biggest challenge. I suspect it stems from the high concentration of solids they give you (a good thing) but they always need an extra minute of shaking and sometimes I have to still clean the nozzle with compressed air a couple times before they cooperate.
Soaking the can in some warm water for a few minutes does wonders to make it spray better as well...the warmer fluid becomes thinner so it atomizes finer & seems to dry faster.
Finally, before recycling empties remove the nozzle buttons and toss em in a little jar of lacquer thinner. Before long you'll have a ready supply of clean nozzles in case one plugs up. There's 2 or 3 different sizes.
Great tips!!!
Old 10-20-2010, 07:50 AM   #7
Kurt in NJ

I still have a few 40 year old cans, just used some, 50% worked, they needed a lot of shaking, some had no more gas and didn't try to spray --1 color I opened up and used in a spray gun because I needed it.

I also have a jar of used nozzles.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote