Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2015, 08:02 PM   #61
kevinwalshe

Default Re: How to decide when to throw in the towel?

I'm 30 and just bought my first model A last week. I've built a 55 Mercury Monterey, 1951 Ford F1 pickup, helped my dad get his 46 Willys CJ2A running, and built a BSA A65 chopper. There was too many times I wanted to give up because I didn't have cash to get the stuff I wanted or the help I needed. If you get rid of it, you'll be really bummed. My suggestion is to read, read, read, and read some more. Guys in the 1930's built cars with barely any tools and still got their cars to putt along. If I lived close to you I would love to come over and help!!! There is a wealth of knowledge on here and the hamb as well. Good luck and never give up.
kevinwalshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:00 PM   #62
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwalshe View Post
I'm 30 and just bought my first model A last week. I've built a 55 Mercury Monterey, 1951 Ford F1 pickup, helped my dad get his 46 Willys CJ2A running, and built a BSA A65 chopper. There was too many times I wanted to give up because I didn't have cash to get the stuff I wanted or the help I needed. If you get rid of it, you'll be really bummed. My suggestion is to read, read, read, and read some more. Guys in the 1930's built cars with barely any tools and still got their cars to putt along. If I lived close to you I would love to come over and help!!! There is a wealth of knowledge on here and the hamb as well. Good luck and never give up.
I'm reading that he has lost interest\motivation in completing the project. Without interest all the money in the world won't help.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:13 AM   #63
BILL WILLIAMSON

EASY DECISION ! You like wood better, get rid of all the metal stuff & DO WOOD!
Bill W.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:00 AM   #64
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Bill, is that you?
welcome back!!!
Old 02-03-2015, 02:19 AM   #65
CarlG

This last summer I had catastrophic engine failure. After towing my pickup 600 miles home, I made plans on getting the engine "fixed". First thing was a trip to the car wash to get all the mud and grime off the truck. On the way home from the car wash, the tow bar came loose and my driver less truck headed straight for a fence. A couple of good Samaritans helped get me home, but that was the "straw that broke the camel's back". It has taken me a good 6 months to even work up an interest in doing anything toward getting not only the engine fixed, but the resulting sheet metal damage as well.

Good news is that with renewed interest and a little pushing from a friend, I should have my engine back from the machine shop later this week or next. Some of the body work has been started as well. It's been slow going, but at least I can see progress being made.

It does take determination!

Oh, and BTW
Welcome back Bill!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:46 AM   #66
Terry, NJ

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Welcome back Bill!
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:39 AM   #67
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
This last summer I had catastrophic engine failure. After towing my pickup 600 miles home, I made plans on getting the engine "fixed". First thing was a trip to the car wash to get all the mud and grime off the truck. On the way home from the car wash, the tow bar came loose and my driver less truck headed straight for a fence. A couple of good Samaritans helped get me home, but that was the "straw that broke the camel's back". It has taken me a good 6 months to even work up an interest in doing anything toward getting not only the engine fixed, but the resulting sheet metal damage as well.

Good news is that with renewed interest and a little pushing from a friend, I should have my engine back from the machine shop later this week or next. Some of the body work has been started as well. It's been slow going, but at least I can see progress being made.

It does take determination!

Oh, and BTW
Welcome back Bill!

Look at the good side. It could have happened, that it went in to traffic, and hurt some one. Good luck with your engine and body work.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:35 PM   #68
BILL WILLIAMSON

[QUOTE=tbirdtbird;1027035]Bill, is that you?
welcome back!!![/QUOTE
Well, T-Bird, I think it's me, after 3 months of bone knitting & cleaning out my innards 4 times & misc things that shouldn't be mentioned, it seems like a dream world, just to be home. The Dog wuz alone fur about 83 days & still recognizes me & sed I smell kinda' funny. Just learning to put weight on my restored leg again. Gotta' go make coffee & fry some eggs & bologna, I think I can stand up from the wheelie chair, to reach the big back burner, on which resides my BIG iron skillet that can cook a whole meal at one time. Some time, I'll get Vermin finished & drivin' & soon I'll git me another NEW scooter, the old one is for sure TOTALED & will become a speedster or a DONOR of misc parts
Bill W. & Buster T.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:02 PM   #69
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
EASY DECISION ! You like wood better, get rid of all the metal stuff & DO WOOD!
Bill W.
Heh Bill Welcome back my friend. You have been missed more than you will ever know ! This place was not the same without you my friend !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:30 PM   #70
Purdy Swoft

Welcome back brother Bill !!!!!!!
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:11 PM   #71
Fred K-OR

When to throw in the towel? When it stops being "fun".

Welcome back Bill.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote