Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-02-2015, 11:57 PM   #41
CWPASADENA

Default Re: New Winfield update

I am just glad Tod is involved with this stuff. He has the expertise and a proven track record.

This hobby is a lot more fun with the availability of good quality specialty parts. These cars are much more fun to drive with improvements over what Henry original manufactured.

I have both a bone stock Model A and also one with a good touring engine, syncro trans, O.D. and upgraded brakes and steering.

Over the years, I have tens of thousand miles on "stock" Model A's so I have done that.

Today, I mostly drive the car I have set up for touring because it is much more fun to drive.

Keep up the good work Tod, I am looking forward to being able to purchase some of the parts you have in the pipeline.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:58 AM   #42
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Todd is 'da man'. 100% behind you!

Just a little side point here: If it weren't for Tod and his expertise, none of us would have the 5.5 or 6.1 "Snyder" heads.
This isn't quite true. I did not make the 5.5:1 equipment. I only machine them now. The 6:1 chamber was sent to me by Bill Stipe, who did the design for Snyder. Bill and I have briefly discussed a 7:1 design for the stock looking head but that was a while back.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:34 AM   #43
Juggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post

I guess people will buy based on price and/or brand and image. Without comprehensive independent testing of all the heads making a decision based on numbers will not be easy.

Have a look at the dyno sheets on Dennis Piranio's site

http://www.modelaparts.net/dynosheet...ynosheets.html

Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:05 AM   #44
Tod

I've reported the distractions, to get the nonsense out of the way (not all gone as of this post). I do not really want to be dragged into a series of lectures on just how I do what I do. If anyone wants educated, email me for extended explanations of just how casting shrink works in the real world.

Tod
Old 01-03-2015, 11:44 AM   #45
modelAtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
I've reported the distractions, to get the nonsense out of the way (not all gone as of this post). I do not really want to be dragged into a series of lectures on just how I do what I do. If anyone wants educated, email me for extended explanations of just how casting shrink works in the real world.

Tod
Tod, thanks for what you did about the distractions. I was putting a message out about the post he typed and I deleted my message twice. Each time I said to myself , NO DON'T START NO CRAP OVER THIS. I'm glad you can let this run off your back like a duck in water. Thanks again for the work you've done and the future parts we will be glad to scramble for. have fun modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:52 AM   #46
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggler View Post
Have a look at the dyno sheets on Dennis Piranio's site

http://www.modelaparts.net/dynosheet...ynosheets.html

Hey Juggler,
Thanks for sharing that site !
Very informative, indeed !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:13 AM   #47
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post

IMO, Brumfield heads are not being made because same second guessing, same belittling , same naysayers , same doubters, same Monday morning QBs and same unsubstantiated gossip went on to discourage Brumfield as is going on with My Buttermore currently.
While there are other reasons for the stopping of the heads as well, you are correct in the rash of crap he had to put up with when owners of the head would disregard the written instructions included in package, install it their way and then go online and complain about the quality of his product when the head gasket would blow or other such things.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:54 AM   #48
Tod

Getting some parts out the door have caused a little delay in progress, but I will be able to take 2 core plugs to my new core manufacturer when they can squeeze in some time for me to take the core plugs to their facility. I'm waiting to hear back from them as to when I might be able to make that trip. The cores are for the Winfield and the dual plug heads. The Winfield core should also work on the Weiand version several people have asked me about. All I need to do is cut that pattern.

Pretty much been working 7 days a week right now.

Tod
Old 02-03-2015, 04:13 PM   #49
CrazyUncleHarry

Tod,
I have owned, and raced, one of the Snyder's 6:1 heads.. Loved It. I passed it on to a friend this past year, he also raced it, and was very happy with it.

Please let me know pricing/anticipated delivery/deposit info for one of the cast iron Winfield heads. I'm Very Interested.

Also, folks should note, that the true availability of high compression A/B heads is rather more limited than mentioned above. On three different occasions this past year, I tried to purchase a new head. Snyder's had no Thomas heads available, Red's was out of the AL Winfields, and the only Lion Speed Head available was a factory blemish.
So timing is everything folks. (There are a couple other Ultra expensive machined AL flathead heads available, but they typically start at $1000 and go up from there, they are also generally ultra low production or custom pieces intended for Bonneville LSR motors)

That being said, I think that we should collectively cheer on Anyone interested in bringing new, or reproduction, banger speed parts into the hobby.
Go Tod Go!!!
CrazyUncleHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:57 PM   #50
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
I'll ignore the impugning of my honesty, integrity, and expertise and just say that if you don't want one of the heads then don't buy one. And let me add that it is unwise and arrogant to project your ignorance and inability onto others. They just may have more to bring to the table than you.

And, I'll make what I want to make, and what people ask me to make, as if it is any of your concern.

Tod
Tod, I admire INDEPENDENT THINKERS, like you, that have a lot of knowledge, imagination, & don't give a Rat's Ass about what others think!
I feel that a lot of the so called "WISDOM", passed on here, is just a concoction of many old tales that are circulated around, SPICED up with some sentences & important sounding words from several technical publications that were written by who knows who????
Buster T. (The "Home Alone For 83 Days, Dog")
Old 02-03-2015, 05:27 PM   #51
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyUncleHarry View Post
Tod,
I have owned, and raced, one of the Snyder's 6:1 heads.. Loved It. I passed it on to a friend this past year, he also raced it, and was very happy with it.

Please let me know pricing/anticipated delivery/deposit info for one of the cast iron Winfield heads. I'm Very Interested.

Also, folks should note, that the true availability of high compression A/B heads is rather more limited than mentioned above. On three different occasions this past year, I tried to purchase a new head. Snyder's had no Thomas heads available, Red's was out of the AL Winfields, and the only Lion Speed Head available was a factory blemish.
So timing is everything folks. (There are a couple other Ultra expensive machined AL flathead heads available, but they typically start at $1000 and go up from there, they are also generally ultra low production or custom pieces intended for Bonneville LSR motors)

That being said, I think that we should collectively cheer on Anyone interested in bringing new, or reproduction, banger speed parts into the hobby.
Go Tod Go!!!
Thanks for the plug. The Thomas were delayed due to some foundry issues. I am finishing up the machining on the Thomas heads right now. Snyder's is planning on moving to another foundry after the last batch we got. The 6:1s have had some stiffening ribs added to give added support to where someone said he had an issue. I also added the same basic supports to the new Winfield/Weiand core.

I'm setting pricing at $400.00 and since I am running a little behind I'm not sure about definite delivery.

An important development on this just happened today so the delay is not so bad. I was able to have contact through LinkedIn with a shop that can make the cores and is a pattern shop, which makes communication much easier since we speak the same language. I am in the middle of discussing this core issue with them at this very moment and am trying to make arrangements to take a trip to that shop instead.

Tod
Old 02-03-2015, 05:29 PM   #52
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Tod, I admire INDEPENDENT THINKERS, like you, that have a lot of knowledge, imagination, & don't give a Rat's Ass about what others think!
I feel that a lot of the so called "WISDOM", passed on here, is just a concoction of many old tales that are circulated around, SPICED up with some sentences & important sounding words from several technical publications that were written by who knows who????
Buster T. (The "Home Alone For 83 Days, Dog")

Thanks, BW, it means alot coming from you. We have not talked before, that I remember, but I haven't missed the great admiration everyone here has for you. That can't be by accident.

Tod
Old 02-03-2015, 06:46 PM   #53
1931 flamingo

Passed on an original head this week-end. Asking price was $850 if I remember.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:35 PM   #54
Barry B./ Ma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Passed on an original head this week-end. Asking price was $850 if I remember.
Paul in CT
I thought it was $825 Paul but I didn't need it and I can't remember if it was a Winfield or a Weind ?? and wasn't it aluminum? I know we both looked it over casually.
Barry B.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:18 AM   #55
Tod

Wow, over $800. Is the reason for that just scarcity?

Tod
Old 02-04-2015, 10:10 AM   #56
1931 flamingo

Barry B. is probably right. I tend to have CRS ...................

Tod: Don't see that kind of stuff here too often. He may be dreaming also......

Paul
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:31 AM   #57
waxhead

Any updates Tod
waxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:56 PM   #58
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhead View Post
Any updates Tod
Yeah, I just finished up a bunch of stuff Snyder was hot for and I have an electrician in doing some work I don't have time for so I finally got back on it today. I also got with the foundry about making the first run. Been pretty hectic since the first of the year. I'll keep you informed as I can. Next step is getting the core plug to the core shop for cores.

Tod
Old 02-19-2015, 03:58 AM   #59
waxhead

OK thanks mate
waxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:03 PM   #60
hardtimes

Quote:
Yeah, I just finished up a bunch of stuff Snyder was hot for and I have an electrician in doing some work I don't have time for so I finally got back on it today. I also got with the foundry about making the first run. Been pretty hectic since the first of the year. I'll keep you informed as I can. Next step is getting the core plug to the core shop for cores.

Tod
Hey Tod,
Thanks much for your update !
That Winfield is going to be a great improvement to my current short block project !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote