Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #41
700rpm

Default Re: Our Model A wreck in Austin, TX

Sean, let us know who your insurance company is, if you don't mind, and how they treat you. My cars are covered for agreed value through Hagerty, and when my coupe was hit last month, they determined it was my fault. I didn't agree, but it didn't matter; they paid my full repair costs in less than two weeks, and dealt entirely with the other fellow. Once I had reported the accident to them, I was done. Hagerty is a good insurance company.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #42
Onlybackroads

Hey Ray, I have AAA, and it's fairly basic, pretty much basic liability plus some medical coverage for me and a passenger. They are willing to pay out $2000 to each of us for medical expenses, and I'm going to find out about a proposed sum for travel interruption/delay today. I just sent a statement, written in e-mail form, to the other insurance companies adjuster. They have Zurich American Insurance. I found an appraisal company here in Austin, who will do a full inspection right here where the car is, evaluation, and even deal with the insurance company for $450. If the other insurance company doesn't have a certified classic car inspector, I will try and get them to pay for this. But before I think about getting any money, I need to make sure everything is ok with the police report. We found out that the other party is disputing fault, so I've got some fighting to do. Glad to hear you were compensated, hope you're doing well!

My website for custom motorbikes, styled after turn of the century motorcycles and boardtrack racers:
http://flyingfeetautocycles.wordpress.com
Onlybackroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #43
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlybackroads View Post
On another note, I don't have collision coverage through my insurance policy...
OUCH:::
i am sure you know this already
if the police report is not 100% in your favor your screwed..thats what they will use to determine liability..if it is determined a percentage fault driver A and a certain percentage driver B they will tuck and roll //weasel out
i hope it is in your favor:::

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 10-14-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:49 AM   #44
Lona

Sorry about your accident but glad you both are ok. Looks like your seat belts saved you from more serious injury. Hope all A'ers without belts in their cars understand that as careful as they are, it's often the other guy you can't do anything about. Shoulder belts in addition to laps might have prevented any injury at all. There are posts on the forum regarding installing shoulder belts if you're interested as your car is being repaired.

We all tend to think "it won't happen to me" but, indeed, it can happen to everyone of us. Our thoughts are with you as you recuperate, fight the insurance people, and work to get your car back on the road. Good luck.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:49 AM   #45
Lona

Sorry about your accident but glad you both are ok. Looks like your seat belts saved you from more serious injury. Hope all A'ers without belts in their cars understand that as careful as they are, it's often the other guy you can't do anything about. Shoulder belts in addition to laps might have prevented any injury at all. There are posts on the forum regarding installing shoulder belts if you're interested as your car is being repaired.

We all tend to think "it won't happen to me" but, indeed, it can happen to everyone of us. Our thoughts are with you as you recuperate, fight the insurance people, and work to get your car back on the road. Good luck.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #46
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
On another note, I don't have collision coverage through my insurance policy...
I don't have collision on my modern car, but I thought collision was part of the package for any antique car insurance.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:00 PM   #47
Onlybackroads

Tom, it is normal car insurance, this Model A is, well was for now, my daily driver and only car

I was not able to get antique auto insurance for it since you need a daily driver to begin with, already ruled that out, and the mileage is limited to parades, event and going to make repair, definitely ruled that out! Although, my journey was definitely an event!

My website for custom motorbikes, styled after turn of the century motorcycles and boardtrack racers:
Old 10-14-2014, 01:16 PM   #48
darrylkmc

Quote:
Hey Ray, I have AAA, and it's fairly basic, pretty much basic liability plus some medical coverage for me and a passenger. They are willing to pay out $2000 to each of us for medical expenses, and I'm going to find out about a proposed sum for travel interruption/delay today. I just sent a statement, written in e-mail form, to the other insurance companies adjuster. They have Zurich American Insurance. I found an appraisal company here in Austin, who will do a full inspection right here where the car is, evaluation, and even deal with the insurance company for $450. If the other insurance company doesn't have a certified classic car inspector, I will try and get them to pay for this. But before I think about getting any money, I need to make sure everything is ok with the police report. We found out that the other party is disputing fault, so I've got some fighting to do. Glad to hear you were compensated, hope you're doing well!
Can you disclose if the other driver was cited for a violation, or if anyone received a citation. This will make a difference regardless of the fact that the other Party is disputing fault, post accident.

Darryl in Fairbanks
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:28 PM   #49
Rex_A_Lott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I don't have collision on my modern car, but I thought collision was part of the package for any antique car insurance.
I believe that all the insurance regulations are set by the state you live in. When I was in the Navy we heard all kinds of differences, depending on whether you had your home state's tags/insurance or whether you had it in the state where your duty station was located.
I dont have collision on my old cars either.
I hate to hear about the wreck, and to be honest, am thankfully surprised no one was hurt very badly. That looks like a pretty good lick in the all-steel Henry.Good Luck finding a replacement and finishing your trip!
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:44 PM   #50
Tiny

If they start to jerk you around about it just being an old car here is you $1000 use the phrase "I do not feel as though you are acting in good faith, I am hanging up the phone to call the insurance review board and my lawyer". I guarantee they will call right back with their tail tucked. It sucks to have to play hardball but sometimes you have too. Good luck. I'm sad to see your trip cut short, I've been rooting for you as I watched the progress on your blog. Glad you guys are ok though. That Model A will buff right back out
Old 10-14-2014, 03:41 PM   #51
Onlybackroads

Got the police report, doesn't say who's at fault, just says both of us claimed we had a green light. Now, I'm certain we had a green light, and his left-turn only lane was dictated by arrow. So do I have a good chance still? The report also says there were no witnesses, even though a sheriff told me they got a witnesses number. I was planning to call the deputy tomorrow and talk to him about it and try to give him the number, although I don't know if it'll do anything.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #52
hardtimes

Some GOOD advice being offered to you here ! I see that you say that you have AAA insurance. I have same and know others that have same with old cars. AAA has a good reputation here as standup outfit in these old car matters. As an example, a friends entire huge shop with inventory and couple As were burned up. AAA gave one coupe owner 35K for HIS COUPE ! Yeah, I found it hard to believe. They paid entire bill for newly built shop and inventory !! So, keep at it and positive thoughts.
One here says...'doesn't matter' ..relative to who's fault it is. Bull...if your found at fault...YOUR insurance rate will increase, it goes on your record, etc...and that matters !! Do not let anyone get away with ascribing any blame to you...at all, if it was not your fault that you were in this accident.
It's hard to remember things, because of trauma and inexperience and youth. So, take seriously to heart the advice to document, i.e.- written statements (did the guy say anything at all at the scene of accident?), notes, photos, diagrams of incident, pictures of location from various angles, notations/timing of lights in intersection and written statement of passengers, hospital records, etc...on and on ! Police officer responding name/badge #, statements , reports copy and his/her drawings/photos !
Was the other driver drunk and or under the influence otherwise and was he tested and/or ASKED by the officer ...if he had been drinking/use drugs...even prescription.

Here's the deal..if you are not a lawyer and you have ALL of above, your eventual lawyer will love you as a client. You will be best served in preserving your rights also with detailed documentation. Tooo much work to do this, then problems will follow.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:35 PM   #53
pooch

Was the other dude on his own ?

At least you have a back up witness for you on the green light dispute.

I suppose it was not a red light camera intersection , or you would have that available.

Check if there are any CCTV cameras pointing to intersection maybe ?

This green light dispute and you having no collision insurance sucks.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:41 PM   #54
Onlybackroads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzKwGQJnt8M

Old 10-14-2014, 06:12 PM   #55
Onlybackroads

Anyone know any good lawyers around Austin that could help us out in case we need one? Please let me know if so, would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #56
P.S.

Be careful what you post here and on your blog. A lawyer for the opposition will find this and will try to twist it and/or use it against you.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #57
darrylkmc

Quote:
Got the police report, doesn't say who's at fault, just says both of us claimed we had a green light. Now, I'm certain we had a green light, and his left-turn only lane was dictated by arrow. So do I have a good chance still? The report also says there were no witnesses, even though a sheriff told me they got a witnesses number. I was planning to call the deputy tomorrow and talk to him about it and try to give him the number, although I don't know if it'll do anything.
Sean,

I am saddened to hear of this turn of events, the fact that both of you are here to tell of the events is the most important part. I feel for you, I had a similar thing happen about thirty years ago, someone pulled out in front of me and in the hast to avoid a collision I ended up Rolling my '31 Pick-Up onto its Top. The other driver made a quick get away, leaving me in the middle of the road.

As H. L. said, documentation is everything, and make everything of it that you can to help out your situation. Ask for the Sheriff to continue the investigation, if possible, interview the witness(') and encourage the department to issue a citation. Find out what you can about the drivers being switched, get a statement from the Tow Truck driver regarding his contact with the other individual. Although the Tow guy's impression may be considered hearsay, it may help sway things in your favor.

Best of luck.

Darryl in Fairbanks
Old 10-14-2014, 07:15 PM   #58
ericr

it's heartwarming to see how much empathy, moral support and tangible help has been extended by our Model "A" family to a fellow member at a time of real need.

It is less pleasant and downright scary to read how many owners have had similar experiences, It makes me leery of driving a Model "A" Ford in these times except under narrow, optimal circumstances, no matter how many lights, turn signals etc. have been installed. Driving courtesy has faded and while I used to think the mere appearance of a Model "A" attracted attention, curiosity and caution from other drivers, that does not seem to be the case.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:53 PM   #59
darrylkmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
It is less pleasant and downright scary to read how many owners have had similar experiences, It makes me leery of driving a Model "A" Ford in these times except under narrow, optimal circumstances, no matter how many lights, turn signals etc. have been installed. Driving courtesy has faded and while I used to think the mere appearance of a Model "A" attracted attention, curiosity and caution from other drivers, that does not seem to be the case.
ericr,

It is a personal choice, I have had some things scare me, before and since my circumstance, but I am not scared to drive my Model A's. I, at least until it snowed, drive a stock '30 Standard Phaeton.
I drive a lot more defensively.

In fact, while driving this Phaeton, people looking at me have driven right into parked cars, so I guess it works both ways.

Darryl in Fairbanks
34 degrees, drain the water
Old 10-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #60
Maclab58

Guys, it makes me sick to see the pics of your car but I'm so glad you are ok. You stopped at my sister and brother inlaws house in San Angelo, Jan and Scott for repairs. Scott was so excited you were stopping by and text me earlier in the day to tell me about it. I am guilty of infecting him with the bug, he has my 31 Victoria now allowing me to get my Cabriolet. Good luck on fixing the car and please keep the blog going to keep us informed. I admire your sense of adventure and sheer guts to make the trip! KEEP GOING!!!!!!!!!
Maclab58 is offline   Reply With Quote