Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #61
Greg Jones

Default Re: Afraid to post barners...

In the autumn of our days, in seeing others our age beginning to fade away, we start to realize that life is so short; not just life in general; but also that some experience a much shorter "healthy" & full life.

.. if you drink a lot of beer when working on your Model A, you pee a lot more often than if you drink lemonade

Two very important truths.
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #62
Patrick L.

is that if you drink a lot of beer when working on your Model A, you pee a lot more often than if you drink lemonade.
end quote

Good tip ! I'll have to try that out. I tend to use a lot more of the former than the latter.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #63
Terry,NJ

Who is what? And to whom? Each of us perceives answers differently. I for the life of me, can't figure out who the "bullies" are. I've never felt "Bullied" in here (Except when I got political in some threads and they got deleted, Cut me some slack, I'm part Irish and politics is in my DNA) But that's a small matter and the rules are......... I'm usually asking, not telling. Most oldtimers probably forgot more than I know. However, I do post with some authority on matters involving machine work, which I earned my groceries, doing for over twenty years. However, The wind up of this is that if I have offended someone, I apologize. That was never my intention. I've met a few FBers and I think they would confirm my lack of bad character.
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #64
BlueSunoco

H.L., so are you saying that when working on your 'A' you tend to get p--sed off
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #65
newshirt

I'm afraid to post because I know about 1/1000 of what other guys know. But I still try because that helps me learn. Lurking and reading only takes you so far. At some point you have to jump into the conversation, but you risk saying stupid things you regret later. So I limit my posts to areas I've had first-hand experience, which is not a lot.

I appreciate the barn and read it every day!
Old 12-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #66
stallerl

Whenever I post I post questions. I'm new with Model A's but not with old cars and restorations. I've been around 'old' cars for 50 years and if there's one thing I've learned it is not necessary to try and reinvent the wheel. I've learned that no matter what it is I'm doing someone else has already been there. So, I ask a question (or two) to find out how to do something instead of spending too much time trying to figure it. I have always received excellent input and advice from other posters helping me get my projects done. And, if there is a negative remake made I find myself chuckling at it and moving on. This forum is incredibly valuable to many people. I'm pretty sure there are many members that never post at all in fear of getting beat down or made to look dumb, but they are reading other's posts often, to learn how to do something.
I think the best way to face this issue is to ask your question and then filter out the returned comments that are self serving or negative in nature and get on with it. Enjoy your Model A and the true friends you meet along the way. I am!
stallerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #67
cushman man

It was said to be as a young man HE WHO KNOWS EVERTHING IS IN DEEP TROUBLE. I have never forgot it. I was very blessed to have worked with many people and found that to be true. I do love this forum and read it every day.
cushman man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #68
whirnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post
I think sometimes, some folks are reluctant to post, as the answers they get often consist of 10 wrong answers, 5 sarcastic answers, 10 sarcastic comments to the sarcastic answers, and 1 correct answer that is challenged by the 10 guys that gave the wrong answer. So......it is easier just to pick up the phone and ask someone that knows the answer.

Too much ridicule
Too much sarcasm.
Not enough substance.

Now....this is not always the case. Many, many great questions and great answers. Just a few sour apples spoil it for others.
Where is the "like" Button?

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #69
ctvpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshirt View Post
I'm afraid to post because I know about 1/1000 of what other guys know. But I still try because that helps me learn. Lurking and reading only takes you so far. At some point you have to jump into the conversation, but you risk saying stupid things you regret later. So I limit my posts to areas I've had first-hand experience, which is not a lot.

I appreciate the barn and read it every day!

But that 1/1000 that you DO know, might be the piece of information I need.
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #70
heneste

I think people may be scared off by negative feedback they may get. As it was mentioned, no one knows everything since everyone has a different level of expertise and hopefully others will be lenient.

The good thing about posting is that we help each other out. Even when we make mistakes and offer what we think is a proper solution/diagnosis to a problem and it turns out to be wrong, by posting it on the barn, it let's others discuss it and possibly everyone learns along the way!

I know I've learned alot on this site (and still have plenty to learn) and hopefully I can contribute back.
heneste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #71
Roadster Rich

Wow, I guess I have missed a lot on this site. I never look at the criticism or comments as horrible as many others I guess. I have worked on my Roadster for 45 years, and sometimes will comment, but I have found that I am more of a learner than the teacher. I find that most of the experiences I have had, were done in a less than efficient way (kind of going around the barn to get in the front door), and really the posts from the most knowledgeable (Marco, Tom W, Brent, Purdy, etc) are much better than my advice. If I have something of value, there is no concern to me about how it will be received!
Roadster Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:41 AM   #72
karasmer

Wow, it is great to see a thread urging questions and answers. Over on the T site there is a thread that was posted a couple weeks ago basically urging people to "not ask questions" read the books first" (really) and most agreed, I had to post with a differing opinion. It is obvious though people are afraid to post with the amount of PM's I get and the lengthy time period for answers to my questions. I do a quick search though before asking but will not spend a whole lot of time before asking so please keep the great answers coming, much appreciated.
karasmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:43 AM   #73
nhusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Humble Opinion:

if you drink a lot of beer when working on your Model A, you pee a lot more often than if you drink lemonade.
I Know the answer to that one ---

Beer doesn't have to slow down to change color !
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #74
Pat Martone

I have only been a Model A hobbyist for a couple of years, but I have learned so much from this website, both as lurker and as a person asking for, and occasionally offering, advice.

I do not recall experiencing any negative or unhelpful responses; perhaps I have been lucky.

I am grateful to many people, including Purdy and Brent, who have responded positively to my many public and private inquiries.

Fordbarn is a fantastic website, and I learn something new everytime I visit, which is almost daily. Thank you.
Pat Martone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #75
TommyCoupe

I agree with Pat. I have learned a ton from the folks on the Barn.
My father, who owns 2 fully restored A's, sometimes asks me if I'd like to use his restoration books, and most of the time my response is "No, I'd rather post something on the Barn".
I enjoy the opinions from everyone who replies to my inquiries. Sometimes the different opinions help me to make my own decisions, instead of just going by the book.
That's whats going to make my car unique, and mine.

I will say that I am sometimes reluctant to post responses, because I'm not restoring a points car, so I don't want to tell people how I have done things, if they're restoring their car to a higher standard.

Tommy-
TommyCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #76
lasjts

For some of us "old in age" but new to the sport, I find it most useful to get a few opinions from the post, filter out the BS from AH's, and make your own decision at the end of the day. I usually garner a little something from the different opinions.

Many Thanks to all the good veterans that continue to post and help some of out so much! Happy holidays.
lasjts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #77
Ross/Kzoo

I ,too, enjoy hearing the opinions and experiences of many on the Fordbarn. Most are more than willing to share what worked for them even if it wasn't detailed in the "book". Many of the questions asked here have been asked and answered before but that may have been last year or 5 years ago so to bring it forward and get new opinions and procedures is helpful.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #78
Skeezixx

I find the forum is divided into two groups:

Whitewall Supremacists
&
Blackwall Panthers

Why can't we all just get along?
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #79
Tiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezixx View Post
I find the forum is divided into two groups:

Whitewall Supremacists
&
Blackwall Panthers

Why can't we all just get along?
Now that's funny!!!!
I hope that I am helpful here and don't come across as too sarcastic. I try to be a "good contributing" member. If I know the answer to a question I will try to answer it and help the other guy out. I am a relatively new Model A owner but I grew up in a Model A family with a dad who has an encyclopedia like knowledge of A's. I love theses ladies and would help anyone get there's going. To the new guys I would say, spend some time searching then if you still need too,ask. It's a great bunch here and we are always willing to help.

Unless it's a ratrodthat craps like an 80 year old grandma with pierced nipples and tattoos!!!! Just wrong

Blackwall Panthers forever
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #80
28RPU

Well, I am not afraid to post; heck, its the internet, who can possibly hurt you? I don't post much cause I don't know shite from shineola when it comes to Model As. I just come here to learn from those that have messed with them for a lifetime. I have only had two. One I sold before I could work on it and the one I have now that has no problems for me to fix.