Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #41
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Afraid to post barners...

I'm only allowed one post a day, and now I just blew it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #42
Lorenzo

I love Ford Barn and all the input, from expert, pretty hip, in-between (that's me), dumb as hell, to novice. As a gift to you, my fellow Barners, I offer you this bit of goodness:

Attitude
by Charles Swindoll

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than the facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company ... a church ... a home. The remarkable thing is, we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past ... we cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude ... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you ... we are in charge of our attitudes."

You are welcome. Meanwhile, those who are distressed might take two aspirins and admit that folks who can properly punctuate contractions are not all so bad... No worse than someone who can properly rivet a Model A frame together. We are all good for something - know what we know, y'know?
Lorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #43
Lorenzo

Tom, you are my fave barner. Steve - great question.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #44
charles in east texas

Orange Crush was the best orange drink ever made. Charles
charles in east texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #45
ctvpa

I try to at least answer to "new to Model A" people. However I often PM them, because there are many nice people here, I have learned a lot, and I have met some men who email me rather often. There are a few who know everything, and make rude comments. I don't bother responding to them, I'm not going to make a fight. But I will PM the person who asked a question, and say "Look, I read what was sent to you, I don't believe this to be true because.......". By using the PM, I avoid the kickback.
If you don't believe me, start a new thread that says "Should I get white walls or not"
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #46
glenn in camino

I've been working on and restoring Model As since the late 60s and have experienced many ups and downs. I hope to keep new barners from having some of my bad experiences.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #47
Lorenzo

That is funny, ctvpa! I hold with the blackwall faction.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #48
Ross/Kzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
I love Ford Barn and all the input, from expert, pretty hip, in-between (that's me), dumb as hell, to novice. As a gift to you, my fellow Barners, I offer you this bit of goodness:

Attitude
by Charles Swindoll

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than the facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company ... a church ... a home. The remarkable thing is, we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past ... we cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude ... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you ... we are in charge of our attitudes."

You are welcome. Meanwhile, those who are distressed might take two aspirins and admit that folks who can properly punctuate contractions are not all so bad... No worse than someone who can properly rivet a Model A frame together. We are all good for something - know what we know, y'know?
Lorenzo, you hit the nail on the head with that article.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #49
68HILLBILLY

I am very thankful for the help I receive on this site. Lots of info from people with years of experience. I mostly read and not post because I am fairly new to the A hobby. about 7 or so years.
68HILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #50
jr-41ford

I will post an answer or question once in awhile, but I prefer to read and learn from others.

I've been a car guy since I was 14, mostly classic cars and street rods. I bought my first Model A 6 years ago, my second one last year and wish I would of bought one years ago.

I am still very much a novice when it comes to Model As, but I continue to gain a lot of knowledge from many of the great folks here on Fordbarn. So I will continue to lurk in the background and read the posts.

I've been told by my wife and many other family and friends that I spend a lot more time driving my Model A than I do my street rods, the last few years. I just smile.
jr-41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #51
Elcastor

I usually do not post my opinion because I know that there are MANY on the Barn here that know a LOT MORE than I do when it comes to Model A repairs. I learn a LOT more than I contribute, and am very grateful for those that are so helpful. Being in Mexico there are none to consult with locally.
Elcastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #52
Lorenzo

Que tal, loco? Bien, bien, bien? Pues, bien. I live in Salinas, CA, which is much like Mexico. Spent a few weeks down there and learned that most folks think a Model A Ford is a ... car. Go figger!
Old 12-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #53
david801

Yes, afraid to post. I have been on the receiving end of some harsh comments. I like what SteveB31 said: Many, many great questions and great answers. Just a few sour apples spoil it for others.
david801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #54
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post
I think sometimes, some folks are reluctant to post, as the answers they get often consist of 10 wrong answers, 5 sarcastic answers, 10 sarcastic comments to the sarcastic answers, and 1 correct answer that is challenged by the 10 guys that gave the wrong answer. So......it is easier just to pick up the phone and ask someone that knows the answer.

Too much ridicule
Too much sarcasm.
Not enough substance.

Now....this is not always the case. Many, many great questions and great answers. Just a few sour apples spoil it for others.
I think this pretty well sums it up. Thanks Steve for posting.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #55
darrylkmc

Here is one reason, no explanation, this happened in the last few minutes over a private message, pm

ford3
BANNED
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #56
Franchise_24

Why did Ford3 get banned? I didn't notice anything public that would warrant that, but who knows about private.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:47 PM   #57
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Most of us are of a time when face to face or at least telephone communications were the norm. You could hear the inflections in ones voice and tell sarcasm and such. It is much harder with the written word.

We are all different and take things different ways. Some have the talent to explain things easily. Some go out of there way and write long answers to explain what and why. Others only give a short to the point answers.

I truly believe there are very very few know it alls that are willing to tell you that they know it all here on the barn. I also truly believe that the VAST majority want to help. I would like to think that is an incorrect answer is given the one that posted it has learned a thing. I know I have posted my share of wrong answers that I have sworn were correct only to find that they were old wives tales. I often PM that person to get additional information to be sure i have it clear.

While I like to consider myself a purist, one look at my car and you would say WTF? It is far from correct. If someone posts that they are changing something on their car i like to know why. Are they making the change due to old wives tales of is there a true need. Remember the thread about placing medical equipment in the A so the owner could still enjoy a ride? I have no problem in assisting that person in getting information on voltage conversion. If an owner feel he has to more to 12 volts because it is better than 6 volts you will hear from me. Remember the ad "an educated consumer is our best customer"? that goes for me and the A.

Last thing, I apologize to anyone that have taken any of my posts as insults, that was not my intent, i'm sorry. I was not born into this and started this hobby later then a lot of you. I have learned, and continue to learn, about these cars each day and only want to give back what i can.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:57 AM   #58
BlueSunoco

Nobody falls out of the womb knowing all about a Model A Ford. And, there is no such thing as the guy who can't be replaced, because no matter who you are or who you THINK you are, yes you can. This I have learned though life's experiences. It has to do with humility.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:31 AM   #59
Fdohnke

Great picture!
Fdohnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:39 AM   #60
H. L. Chauvin

Humble Opinion:

FWIW:

I have owned & worked on my $25.00 1930 Model A Coupe for 55 years at a time when parts were scarce, money was scarce, & everything was "make do".

The wonderful 90 year old mechanic gentleman & neighbor I bought my coupe from in 1958 had a stroke this past September, 2013 & is sadly living on life support tubes.

When young, appears we all witness that some cannot wait until they are mature to say they have 30 or so years of technical experience.

After 50 years experience, we all witness that some gray haired or bald individuals are reluctant to divulge how long they have been doing something for fear others may assume that such older seniors may have become feeble minded.

In the autumn of our days, in seeing others our age beginning to fade away, we start to realize that life is so short; not just life in general; but also that some experience a much shorter "healthy" & full life.

Appears it may not always be beneficial or wise to relate to others what one does for a living or what did in one's past life when offering Model A Forum suggestions.

Anyway, while being busy lately with work, one thing I did learn while working on Model A's through the years, (just in case one may want to write it down in their copies of Judging Standards or general notes), is that if you drink a lot of beer when working on your Model A, you pee a lot more often than if you drink lemonade.

Just sharing a first hand, highly technical true & real Model A experience -- hope this helps!
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote