Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2014, 03:53 AM   #41
waxhead

Default Re: Engine Rebuilder on ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
It doesn't seem to stop him from continuing to post more ads this week on ebay soliciting more business, even if he can't deliver the work on hand that was promised months ago.
More info please !!
waxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:37 AM   #42
turlockmachine

I suppose that now would be a good time for me to pipe in.... I have been struggling with a loss of energy for the last several months and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and high cholesterol. I immediately changed my eating lifestyle and went on a strict diet (along with medicine) and began losing weight. My blood sugar has for the most part returned to normal but recently has been going low which has been affecting my ability to function. I recently changed doctors who yesterday reduced my diabetes medicine, which has already had a positive effect on my energy level, took me off of the cholesterol medicine, and told me that I was doing good and to stay on my diet which should eventually allow me to control this without medicine. This whole ordeal has put me behind in my schedule and I really appreciate the patience that people have extended to me. I am a one person operation and this issue has affected my schedule but I should be back on track with my original schedule by mid march.
turlockmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:14 AM   #43
Franchise_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by turlockmachine View Post
I suppose that now would be a good time for me to pipe in.... I have been struggling with a loss of energy for the last several months and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and high cholesterol. I immediately changed my eating lifestyle and went on a strict diet (along with medicine) and began losing weight. My blood sugar has for the most part returned to normal but recently has been going low which has been affecting my ability to function. I recently changed doctors who yesterday reduced my diabetes medicine, which has already had a positive effect on my energy level, took me off of the cholesterol medicine, and told me that I was doing good and to stay on my diet which should eventually allow me to control this without medicine. This whole ordeal has put me behind in my schedule and I really appreciate the patience that people have extended to me. I am a one person operation and this issue has affected my schedule but I should be back on track with my original schedule by mid march.
Good luck with your health, that is more important anyways. Congrats on being proactive and trying to control it through diet and weight loss.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #44
P.S.

I'd rather have a healthy motor rebuilding guy than a guy who is struggling and unable to do it anymore.

Let's extend Joe our heartfelt hopes that he is able to regain his health soon.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:25 PM   #45
1931 flamingo

Follow Dr's orders. I'm a type 2 also and take meds for the diabetes and cholesterol, all readings are good as long as I take my meds.
Get Well ! !
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:24 PM   #46
P.S.

Update:

OK, guys and gals... I have good news to report on both Joe and the motor!

Joe has now seen a different doctor and stopped a medication that was obviously causing him difficulty. Through diet and some activity, Joe has been able to control his diabetes. This is EXCELLENT news!

Joe has been texting and calling to keep me updated on the motor progress. His communications have been excellent. The word now is that the machine work for the motor should be completed in the next couple of days and the motor should be completed by Friday. This is also excellent news.

The only hold-up remaining is because of me. I requested that Joe install the valve cover style oil filter kit on the long block touring motor, and as many know, they have been out of stock. Well, Joe and I spoke today, and apparently Snyder's has some in stock now, so they are sending some to Joe. After that, the motor will be ready to go.

Joe mentioned that he could have it completed and running on the stand Friday, and if so, he will call so I can come over and check it out.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:03 PM   #47
PO51

Joe,
Glad to hear you are doing better, take care of yourself!
PO51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #48
P.S.

UPDATE:

Spoke to Joe this morning. In fact, we spoke for about 30 minutes and Joe shared some excellent information about various topics. Very generous with his time and knowledge.

Joe said he has some oil filter kits on the way that should arrive on Wednesday. Assuming the big brown truck is on time, Joe says he should be assembling the motor on Wednesday and it should be running on the stand by Thursday.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:10 AM   #49
P.S.

UPDATE:

Picked up the motor yesterday. Sorry for the delay, haven't had a chance to log in until now.

I arrived just as Joe was lifting the engine to the test stand and got to video it being fired up for the very first time. After it cooled, a radiator and coolant was added to the test stand and we ran the motor for a long time. It runs really, really well! So smooth too.

Joe also spent hours showing me what he does to the motors, and used machined pieces in progress to show how the pieces work and why he does what he does. Joe is VERY generous with his time and knowledge.

I'm going to get some help swapping the motor into the Tudor soon. Really looking forward to getting the Model A back on the road, it's been dead since the end of October.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140309_135823894.jpg (79.2 KB, 273 views)
Old 03-11-2014, 05:00 AM   #50
waxhead

Glad to see you have your engine. Will be interested to hear what you think about it once it is installed and running. Thanks for the update.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:19 AM   #51
Skibb

MY first engine rebuiler, Ben Bohanan, wasnt on ebay but runs a "professional" Antique Auto Restoration Service in Maysville, Ga. We pulled the car out of his place last May when we came to the realization that we were being bilked after fifteen months and thousands on thousands of cash spent in his place.

In June, Ben's engine siezed on startup. But he gives no warranty - total fraud.

The car has a Sheridan Transmission Kit. But Ben did not provide the clutch plate, stub and shifter that Tim Sheridan shipped with the trans. We had to discover what all was needed over this past weekend. Ben says yesterday "...figure out what you have and go to a junk yard for what you need". How about that for quality customer service.

Tim has promised to help find a stub and shifter and told us what clutch plate to use. Mr. Sheridan is a good man.

A new engine by South Florida Crank and Machine was started yesterday It runs great, has even compression in all four and promises to be the touring engine we were looking for. Larry Buschon of South Fla gave us a counter balanced crank, larger intake valves, Stipe cam and lightened flywheel. Without prompting Larry said the motor had a lifetime warranty on his work. He even called during step up and start up to insure we had the support needed.

My wife and I were blindsided with a nightmare in Maysville. Pictures of the cracked block, loose peening on the head and the bearing that wrapped around the crank are my profile.

But the Sun shines on this restoration now thanks the dedication for two generous car guys. Mr. B and Mr. F dont want their names used but they and me are rebuilding the Maysville tragedy.

We enjoy the Model A Highway and the special folks met along the way.

Last edited by Skibb; 03-11-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #52
P.S.

Another update:

Finished installing the touring rebuild from Turlock Machine a couple days ago. Yesterday was the first time I was able to drive the car around. Put about 20 miles on the clock running errands and putting the motor through several warm-up/cool-down cycles. Have re-tourqued the head once. The motor runs like a dream! Very smooth, never misses a beat.

Not a drop of any fluids on the floor under the car after parking it for the night. Amazing!

Will be putting some real miles on it this weekend if everything works out. Based on results so far, this one is a winner and far exceeds my expectations.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:48 PM   #53
waxhead

Glad to hear that it is running well. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:57 AM   #54
LopezCarguy

Joe is great guy and very good machinist, a engine rebuild goes from $3600 to $5,000 depending on what is done to engine...interesting because you can buy a 350 Chev. crate motor from Chevrolet for $2500 complete with heads.....
Old 04-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #55
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LopezCarguy View Post
Joe is great guy and very good machinist, a engine rebuild goes from $3600 to $5,000 depending on what is done to engine...interesting because you can buy a 350 Chev. crate motor from Chevrolet for $2500 complete with heads.....
Not sure if you are unhappy about the price difference or merely comparing. I would point out that the Chevrolet crate motor utilizes foreign labor while Joe (Turlock Machine) is not only American, but a patriotic American.

If price point is your main concern, I see that Joe's Model A motor rebuilding is comparably priced with other Model A motor rebuilders on average.

Have almost 100 miles on the motor right now, never misses a beat. Will be adding a bunch more miles today also. Need to get past the break-in period before the long drive to the NCRG roundup at the end of May.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #56
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by LopezCarguy View Post
This just goes to show you that high volume, learning curves , and a production line really cut costs. I wonder what a 350 Chevy crate motor would cost if they were built one at a time?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #57
Dodge

It not just the foreign labor on the small block chevy's but volume, a complete engine
kit for one with Pistons, rings, bearings, cam bearings, camshaft, gaskets and timing chain
set is $200-250...wow I wonder what will happen when chevy 350's are 85 years old and
needing rebuilding ha ha.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:03 PM   #58
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
It not just the foreign labor on the small block chevy's but volume, a complete engine
kit for one with Pistons, rings, bearings, cam bearings, camshaft, gaskets and timing chain
set is $200-250...wow I wonder what will happen when chevy 350's are 85 years old and
needing rebuilding ha ha.
Well, they're halfway there-47 years old being introduced in '67-and there are one or two more of them than Model A engines, so I expect they'll still be cheaper to rebuild-and maybe even buy new.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:15 PM   #59
PO51

I'm having my 351 W engine in my 69 Mach1 rebuilt by a shop here in SoCal. It's getting a 408 stroker kit and the stock heads are getting serious reworking, the cost is $6000.I could get a crate motor for a little less, but it won't be worked on an assembled by a craftsman, you get what you pay for.
PO51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #60
LopezCarguy

Joe; hope all is going better with your health...as much as I would like my engine in short time, I would not expect you to work if not feeling well...let me know how things are going and pictures would also be nice...thanks for your efforts...Dick Bangsund Lopez Island Wa.