Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #21
59mgaguy

Default Re: Too much Marvel Mystery Oil in gas, what now

Maybe I should have rephrase that question about the moth balls. But it's not to keep mice out.
59mgaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #22
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59mgaguy View Post
Maybe I should have rephrase that question about the moth balls. But it's not to keep mice out.
I know, and I do remember guys talking about doing that back in the late 60's. As I recall they did it for more horsepower, but I don't know if it worked.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #23
Gold Digger

The moth balls just jogged my memory. I remember some neighbor boys putting moth balls in their old 50 Plymouth. They thought it ran better but I never tried it. I wonder if anyone knows for sure if it really did help or what was the consequents'.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #24
zzlegend

Do any of you all remember putting moth balls in the gas tank?

I knew this weird kid with no teeth and missing two fingers that tried that once but didn't know how to hold him. By his wings or by his feet.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #25
Phil

It is so easy to disconnect the fuel line at the carb. Slip a piece of hose over it and fill a couple cans,why would you not.

It's funny how the guys the complain the most about alcohol in the gas can't wait to pour MMO solvent in to their tank.

I was attending a flight instructor refresher clinic one year. One of my class mates was the corporate pilot for one of the national auto supply chains. When asked if those chemical additives they sold really did anything, his answer was absolutely. He said it pays for that Beechcraft twin and pays my salery to fly the big wigs to parties.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #26
Richard in Anaheim CA

I would get it out of there and reintroduce it a gallon at a time per tank of gas.

If you don't you are going to foul those plugs and have a big mess when you you pull them.

I once put 1/2 tank of diesel in my Model A by mistake. I drove it on a tour before I drained it. it wasn't too bad but better after I drained it and filled with gas. Maybe a good upper lubricant.

Richard
Anaheim CA
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #27
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Anaheim CA View Post
once put 1/2 tank of diesel in my Model A by mistake. I drove it on a tour before I drained it. it wasn't too bad but better after I drained it and filled with gas. Maybe a good upper lubricant.
My uncle, a survivor of WWII on seeing my Model A asked if I had ever run it on KEROSENE.

"It's all we had during the gas rationing during WWII. It make it bang like heck and smoke like hades - but it got us to where the girls were."

He used to start on gasoline and make the switch over to kero on the fly.

And yes, a Briggs & Stratton lawnmower engine (another "d" head engine) will run perfectly fine on diesel - provided its started on the gasoline that's left in the carb and is fully warm. You probably won't even notice the difference. Just don't try to re-start if the mower stops for any reason.

We who drive diesel VWs and always keep a diesel can hanging around the garage (and whose wives are wont to confuse) learn these things.

Joe K
Old 05-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #28
columbiA

In the early 50,s when I sometimes couldnt afford some gas,I would add about 3 gals of stove oil to the seven gals in the tank.It would smoke lot but increase my driving range.I dont know if Dad ever noticed that the heating oil was going down a little quicker!
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #29
40 Deluxe

Terry in NJ, you must have an older model Jetta TDI! The newer ones, '10 and up, will die a quick, expensive death from gasoline in the tank. Their injection system runs at 28,000 lbs (twenty-eight thousand PSI) rail pressure with a fuel-lubricated pump that does not like gasoline! A friend who is parts manager at the local VW dealer told me the other day about a fellow from Wisconsin who filled his 2011 TDI with gas. It died almost right away and cost over $10,000 (ten thousand) to get back on the road! Seems the pump eats itself and sends nice shiny aluminum filings throughout the system-injectors, lines, tank, etc. Ain't technology great?!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:38 AM   #30
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
My uncle, a survivor of WWII on seeing my Model A asked if I had ever run it on KEROSENE.

"It's all we had during the gas rationing during WWII. It make it bang like heck and smoke like hades - but it got us to where the girls were."

He used to start on gasoline and make the switch over to kero on the fly.

Joe K
I have heard that often!
Old 05-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #31
Terry, NJ

It's a 2002. I don't know that the gas did any harm. it happened about five years ago. It still runs and gives great mileage. I don't think I'd buy another one though, too much is proprietary with VW, Like oil, anti freeze, transmission fluid, and brake fluid. VW uses an antiquated oil filter system. It's a great car, but too expensive to maintain.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Terry in NJ, you must have an older model Jetta TDI! The newer ones, '10 and up, will die a quick, expensive death from gasoline in the tank. Their injection system runs at 28,000 lbs (twenty-eight thousand PSI) rail pressure with a fuel-lubricated pump that does not like gasoline! A friend who is parts manager at the local VW dealer told me the other day about a fellow from Wisconsin who filled his 2011 TDI with gas. It died almost right away and cost over $10,000 (ten thousand) to get back on the road! Seems the pump eats itself and sends nice shiny aluminum filings throughout the system-injectors, lines, tank, etc. Ain't technology great?!
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #32
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
It's a 2002. I don't know that the gas did any harm. it happened about five years ago. It still runs and gives great mileage. I don't think I'd buy another one though, too much is proprietary with VW, Like oil, anti freeze, transmission fluid, and brake fluid. VW uses an antiquated oil filter system. It's a great car, but too expensive to maintain.
Terry
2003 TDI Golf here. +1 to all of above. Never buy another VW although I still like my TDI.

Looks like Honda henceforth.

I'd best like a 1983 Rabbit Diesel Pickup. Alas for corroded steel in the Northeast. (Rabbits, what few are left, are known locally as "rot boxes.")

A 1982 Jetta 1.6 diesel engine with 123K miles coupled to a Chinese "ST" 4 pole generator is shortly to be my emergency power supply for the sump pumps.

VW WAS the "people's car." Now a car for the rich and fuelish. VW sold out to the EPA. PM me and I'll tell the story of the 2011 Passat fuel management system differences between European and American production.

Joe
Old 05-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #33
59mgaguy

Phil, Looks like your a level headed guy. And your into A/C too. I've been taught by smarter men then me that it's just a waste of your money. I also hope no one plans on running kerosene in their cars. Kerosine has a low flash point but a heck of a higher BTUs which could melt your aluminum pistons. A little like adding to much oil to a 2 stroke.
59mgaguy is offline   Reply With Quote