Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-19-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
Matt in Alameda

Default Reds Headers

Last year I bought the dual exhaust kit from Red's Headers without the headers as I thought I had an "arrangement" with a friend to buy a set he had. Well when I went to get them he no longer had them, said I waited to long...anyway I called Red's and talked to Jim Davis and ordered a set of headers... he quoted me $190...." I casually asked if I had included them in the original order last year would they have been discounted" His reply was " Yes, they would have been $165 and that is what I am going to charge you!" I did not expect a discount, nor did I ask for one, obviously I am one happy camper! The cost of my '35 is killing me and every bit helps...I ordered them this Wednesday morning they were on my door step here in Alameda, Ca. this evening Thursday!!! I dealt with the company when Red owned it up in Mendocino county...and I must say the new owners are very impressive in their own right...cannot say enough about these guys....and the headers fit perfectly......Matt in Alameda
Matt in Alameda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:41 AM   #2
Fairlane500

Default Re: Reds Headers

I have bought a lot of stuff from Reds and Jim, Y Block and Flathead, his advice and service has always been A+++, quick supply, honest dealings and no fuss. As an international customer that means a lot.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:29 AM   #3
39portlander

A set of Reds headers are on my September to do/wish list. Reputation to the quality company's means more than price in most cases. It's good to hear that from time to time
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:30 AM   #4
Vic Piano

I would never consider anything but Red's Headers for our Flatheads, I've got them on five of our cars/trucks. The first set I bought in 1988 and installed them on our '53 Crestline Sunliner, they are still in excellent condition. Vic
Old 08-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
bob miller

for a foreigner , like me , reds was a good adress . last year as i rebuilt my engine ( french military flathead) he send me the right pieces in good conditions .
bob miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
Shadetree

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
AAA+ For Red's Headers on my `35. Nice fit, trouble free.

Shadetree
Old 08-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
37don

Put a set of Reds Headers on the 37 in 2006 and after about 18000 mi look just like the day I put them on. They are ceramic coated. That kind of service will pay him back 10 fold what it cost him because of feedback like yours.
On the other side of the table is MT products. I bought a set of front backing plates ( $399) and one set of shoes were bent. When I called them they said no problem we will send you a new set of shoes for $110 shipped to your door. That left a sour taste in my mouth. They could have offered me a small break and all would have been well but instead they said "well they are used now so we can't do anything for you. Bottom line I call Bob Wilson at Wilson Welding and will order the rears from Him. By the way he loved my story.
Don
37don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
B-O-B

X2 for Reds headers & jim Davis for quality & service & price
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:08 AM   #9
greywarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in Alameda View Post
Last year I bought the dual exhaust kit from Red's Headers without the headers as I thought I had an "arrangement" with a friend to buy a set he had. Well when I went to get them he no longer had them, said I waited to long...anyway I called Red's and talked to Jim Davis and ordered a set of headers... he quoted me $190...." I casually asked if I had included them in the original order last year would they have been discounted" His reply was " Yes, they would have been $165 and that is what I am going to charge you!" I did not expect a discount, nor did I ask for one, obviously I am one happy camper! The cost of my '35 is killing me and every bit helps...I ordered them this Wednesday morning they were on my door step here in Alameda, Ca. this evening Thursday!!! I dealt with the company when Red owned it up in Mendocino county...and I must say the new owners are very impressive in their own right...cannot say enough about these guys....and the headers fit perfectly......Matt in Alameda
hey guys! can somebody provide me red's contact number, email address and there website? i would like to order too this weekend! dang! there reputation is sky high already! even my colleagues heard about him. i wish somebody could answer my question as soon as possible. thanks! -grey

Last edited by greywarden; 09-09-2011 at 08:31 PM.
greywarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:36 AM   #10
oldskool

just google reds headers for online catolog..# 760-343 2590..i bought headers for my 41 coupe fit like a glove,no streering box contac..al
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:58 AM   #11
al pa.

I'm also a well satisfied Reds Header owner,for my 47 merc.I tried to save a buck,by buying the nickel plate,instead of chrome,and was very surprised to see how good they looked.I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
al pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #12
DD931

Just to add to the kudos already expressed, I needed an exhaust pipe for my '48 six cyliner F-1. I looked all over the country - a few regular suppliers had catalog listings, but no stock. I called Red's. They delivered. I'm a happy camper.

Norm
DD931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #13
jack99

Glad to hear about the good services of Red's. I have to try them very soon. I still have the bad taste of dealing with Waldrons Exhaust last year. I purchased a dual exhaust conversion for my 1950 ford and the right side fit just "ok" after a few tweaks. However the driver side did no even come close to fitting. Call placed to Waldrons --- answer "well the system we sold you should fit because it was designed for another model, a convertiable I believe-- try this and try that". It did not fit with no resolve from the company. NO offer of a refund ($400.00), NO workable solution, and WORST of all no "I am sorry". The collection of pipes now graces the area near my garage as a sculptre of exhaust pipe art after I brazed them together in tribute to the Waldron company.
jack99 is offline   Reply With Quote