Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-15-2020, 03:34 PM   #1
51woodie

Default Problem With Changing Points

I started to change the points on a spare distributor for my '46, and the copper strap connecting one of the point sets to the contact piece that makes the connection to the lug on the outside of the distributor body broke. What to do? Order a part from the USA? Shipping and duty costs to Canada is almost as much as it is to buy a whole distributor. Same problem our Ford friends in Aus. and NZ have to deal with. The solution? I took the copper connector off an old set of points, cut to the proper length and drilled three hole in the correct location. Drilled the rivet holding the contact piece on the point plate, and confirmed the way it was insulated form the point plate. Unsoldered the old strap, and soldered the new strap in place. The hole through the point plate had an insulating "tube" in it to keep the rivet from shorting between the plate and contact, which I replaced with plastic tubing, and the "brown paper" between the point plate and the contact was replaced with gasket material. I used a "POP" rivet to connect the pieces, and it looks good. I used the ohmmeter to check for continuity, and it is clear. I guess you could call this a poor mans repair, or someone desperate for something to do cooped up in the house, instead of out in the coupe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2330.jpg (40.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2331.jpg (34.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2332.jpg (37.9 KB, 57 views)
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:51 PM   #2
Black Fifty

Default Re: Problem With Changing Points

Looks like it worked out very well, and saved you a handful of money too! Thank you for sharing your solution with your fellow 'Barners. It could come in handy for someone else.

Mike
Black Fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:54 PM   #3
J Franklin

Looks like a good job but I am wondering why you can't buy points in Canada?
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:15 PM   #4
Hoop

Nice repair. Very worthwhile considering your location.

Something to keep mind is that places like Lowes and Home Depot have small nylon screws, nuts, bolts, etc. These come in handy working in tight places where shorting to ground can be a problem like inside distributors. Maybe an option for you.

Good work.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:36 PM   #5
fsacht

The small nylon screw and nylon nut work. Repaired one of my point plates that had broken insulation. Replaced the insulation with a different gasket material that I folded over the vertical plate and secured it all with the nylon fasteners. Found them in one of my small parts drawers. I'd send pictures but I don't like R&R 59AB distributors any more.
fsacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:29 PM   #6
fordv8j

that's the way fixed things in the old days, now they just throw it away and replace it, way to go
fordv8j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:51 PM   #7
flathead48

Well done, I certainly will copy in case I end up with the same issue on my 48.
Thanks for sharing this info
flathead48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 10:33 PM   #8
51woodie

Thanks for the complements fellows. This post is a bit of payback for all I learned since I got my '46 and signed on to the Barn. To answer some questions and comments. Yes, point sets and a few other small parts are available here in Northern Ontario from NAPA.

I thought about using a small nylon nut/bolt, which I had, but was concerned about how it would hold up in the heat from the rad/engine that it would be exposed to. Would it soften and fail? I didn't know so I went with a "POP" rivet. Regarding shipping, a US $10.00 part plus US $32.00 shipping converts to about $56.00 Canadian, and that is not including the customs fee.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:30 AM   #9
fordwife

Am I missing something here? On all the 42-48 v8 distributors I have seen each movable point has a spring/contact strip riveted to it and each fastens to a common connection.
fordwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:44 AM   #10
51woodie

Fordwife. You are correct about the spring/contact strip. The confusion was likely caused by the way I described the various parts that I was working with. The red arrow in the attached picture indicates the strip that failed, and as can be seen in the first of the three pictures in my original post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Points to Connector Strip I.jpg (65.1 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by 51woodie; 04-16-2020 at 09:48 AM. Reason: More info. This is a Bubba unit that is on my engine now, the old flatty purrs. The one in this post is the unit I took off
Old 04-16-2020, 12:54 PM   #11
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51woodie View Post
Regarding shipping, a US $10.00 part plus US $32.00 shipping converts to about $56.00 Canadian, and that is not including the customs fee.
I still don't understand why you need a part from the US. Don't the auto parts stores in your Country sell auto parts? Also doesn't a padded envelope still go first class to Canada?
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:58 PM   #12
51woodie

Franklin. Yes the auto parts stores here in Canada do sell auto parts, as long as you are looking for something in the 80's or so and up. They just don't happen to sell parts for early Fords. US to Canada? I sent a speedometer back to a company in the US to have it repaired under warrantee at no charge. The company made the repairs and sent it back showing the value of the part if you had to buy one today. The duty on the part was a tad over $80.00. As far as USPS goes, a lot of suppliers will not give that option when shipping to Canada. The up side of being on the Barn is, that I have had Barner's mail me small parts, as you suggested, in a padded envelope, and there has not been a duty fee so far.