Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-14-2020, 08:30 AM   #21
GOSFAST

Default Re: KingPin reamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerk View Post
I prefer to take it to the local Auto machine where they use a Sunnen Hone machine . Lines them up and can be made to fit as desired. JMHO kerk
This is 100% accurate and it's how we've been doing king pin fitting since 1972 and are still do it the same way today, dead-on accuracy to within a few "tenths" if necessary.

You cannot get 100% accurate holes with a conventional reamer, not going to happen?

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Am going to try to keep my posts a bit short, still in the middle of a major health issue, half-way out of the woods. Will try to resume working and moving some parts I've gotten asked about from members here, mainly the bronze-lined guides!
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 12:56 PM   #22
flatheadmurre

That a guided reamer couldnīt do an accurate job is not true...
And a reamer does a good job on both finish and accuracy if done right...when i helped my father in law with making plastic molds we reamed everything that wasnīt down to the precision it was EDM work needed.
I also prefer to use my sunnen...but not cause itīs lightyears better...itīs just a lot faster !
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-14-2020, 12:59 PM   #23
supereal

At our machine shop we use a piston pin machine to fit king pins. A hand reamer is almost always going to result in a poor result. Any shop that does engine work should be able to do it Take the whole spindle assembly and the new bushings and king pins.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 02:39 PM   #24
Bored&Stroked

Thumbs up Re: KingPin reamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerk View Post
I prefer to take it to the local Auto machine where they use a Sunnen Hone machine . Lines them up and can be made to fit as desired. JMHO kerk
Exactly!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 02:48 PM   #25
rotorwrench

I have a reamer that uses a fixture to align it with the Harley Davidson V-twin cases so that a person can replace the piston pin bushings in the connecting rods and ream them to size without tearing the engine down. It's like a big drill guide with a firm push fit. The fit and finish is excellent when I do those. The long adjustable king pin reamers align off the opposite bushing to cut the first one and then align off the first cut bushing to align the second one. The bushings come out looking like they were made that way and the king pin will easily push in but not fall out under its own weight when I get done.

I think a reamed finish can be superior to any other form of finish if you have the right tooling. With a hone of any kind, you have to brush and clean the honed surface to get all the tiny particles out of it. They do a good enough job but they leave a bit behind in the process. The hone stones wear some with each use and there isn't much you can do about that.

Sliding straight blade type adjustable reamers are the last choice for most reaming work. There no way to control the surface finish for any form of accuracy. There will always be a half assed finish to those types but they can be used for non-critical work.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote