Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-2017, 06:13 AM   #11
Tod

Default Re: New block

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
It sounds like the porting flow would have less of a sharp turn to make so that might do well as long as it still leaves room for valve installation and adjustment in the tappet valley which it should if I understand your approach to this.

Folks have done all sorts of stuff in the bowls over the years to reduce the right angle turn nature of them. They've added bondo, epoxy, and who knows what else to make a better curve in there. Some also braze up part of the contour of those large guides to get them to blend into the curve that they end up with as well as whittle a bit off one side of the guides to allow a bit more room to flow for an entry ramp. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Flow Bench and Dyno testing have been done by innumerable people for as many design changes as you can imagine for these damn intake & exhaust ports. JWL & Ol Ron are some that I'm sure have experience with this. It would also be interesting to talk to Kenny Kloth about some of his testing if he ever would. Many of the guys that did a lot of this like DJ "Flat Dog" on the HAMB are already gone to us so their secrets will remain except for those that new them well. Some changes even if just subtle might have better effects than others.
I made some good progress yesterday in opening up the "window" under the valve. My initial work was done on the center exhaust port. I am happy with the results so far. Next I will apply the enlarged design to the other exhaust ports and then also the intake, while at the same time increasing volume and doing something about the sharp turn. Part of this will be eliminating water between the intake port and the deck. The 4 holes for water flow into the head will be gone.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote