Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-22-2016, 11:47 AM   #121
700rpm

Default Re: Our Model A wreck in Austin, TX

Sean, please fill us in on the final insurance fight outcome.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:03 PM   #122
john charlton

So pleased to hear you were not seriously injured, that was a close call for sure !!! . Twice in a 15 mile trip a lunatic pulled out of a side road straight in front of me how I missed coliding with both cars is a mystery .Luckily my pickup has very good brakes and on both occasions I locked up, no time for cadence braking !!! Both drivers faces showed complete astonishment .I suppose they had seen me but assumed I was making a steady 20 MPH not the 45 MPH I was .As a previous poster said maybe they just did not compute an actual motor vehicle was coming their way. I keep a very wary eye out nowadays . When I arrived at my buddies house he said maybe someone is out to get me !!!

John in rain showers no sunshine Suffolk County England .

PS I checked your list and I have every single part you need in my "stores".Mail your car to me !!!

Last edited by john charlton; 10-22-2016 at 01:38 PM.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-22-2016, 07:13 PM   #123
Synchro909

Just had another look at your original pictures. With a whack like that on the front of the water pump. you might very well need a new head. Check to see that the WP shaft hasn't been pushed back into the head, destroying the web in there that takes up the rearwards play in the shaft.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:12 AM   #124
John Kuhnast

Synchro 909 has what I think is a good thought. After stoping at a red light I had a car come very close to hitting me. Im sure they saw me. Could it be that it did not dawn on them that I was a car? I have a pair of fog lights on the front bumper. Think Ill run with them on during the day from now on.
John Kuhnast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:21 PM   #125
Onlybackroads

Ray, no results with the lawyers yet...

Yes I do think people just don't realize that the Model A's are moving! I get the same experience on my small old motorcycles, people see or... Don't see... A small yellow headlight and don't think you'll actually hit the intersection when you do. I broke my hand dodging a car that pulled in front of me on my motorcycle last spring, no matter how careful I am there's always still chance of bad drivers not paying full attention...

I checked play on the water pump and it seemed fine, but have yet to actually take it off to fully inspect. I plan to put a high comp head on anyway. I have to do my valves anyway!

My website for custom motorbikes, styled after turn of the century motorcycles and boardtrack racers:
http://flyingfeetautocycles.wordpress.com
Onlybackroads is offline   Reply With Quote