Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-05-2016, 05:36 AM   #41
coupe1942

Default Re: New to Model A pickups, but not Model A's

Thanks. I guess my vision is off a bit and i am not seeing them clearly in the second photo, but i'll try to lighten the photo to see the loops. If you can take a better picture of those loops and post, I'd be grateful.

I have my suspicion that this seat bottom is not the stock one for the pickup.
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:04 PM   #42
coupe1942

Follow Up:

I attended the Holdenville car show this past weekend. I met a man there who had a '28 or '29 pickup that was modified into a street rod. He said he does seats and gave me his card. His seats inside looked very nicely done, but not stock. His business is John's Oklahoma County 66 Custom Auto Upholstery. He does not have a web site and does not want such. He is out of Arcadia, Oklahoma. Anyone know of him and his work?

Since this is a daily driver and not a show car, I may well head his way to get the seats redone. However, I also met a city worker today who just had his cars upholstered and wants me to come see his garage. He has a '38 Ford sedan. He saw my Model A and just dropped by to chat and look it over.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:25 AM   #43
Veger

LOVE the truck! Of course I love any truck including my AA I'm 5' 10 or so and thin so its rather easy for me to get in my truck BUT from talking to the old folk that use to run model A's in the old day always told me to get in on the passenger side and slide over SO that's what I do, it makes for a easy fit. Keep on trucking! Oh yea I drive my truck almost every day too even though it was in GREAT shape when we bought it. Oh yea forgot to mention I got 1930 Kansas plates on my truck Lol never been pulled over. They say as long as you have the antique plates and paper work in the truck or car its Ok to run like that in Kentucky.

Last edited by Veger; 09-19-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Veger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:12 PM   #44
Jeff/Illinois

veger.... THAT is one sharp truck love it
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:43 PM   #45
Veger

Thankyou Kindly Jeff! We was just going to get a Model A truck BUT this Model AA was the very First truck we looked at from a add out of our model a club newsletter and was the last truck we looked at, lol We took it home the same day we bought it. The guy spent 10 years building it after he bought it out of a field from Kansas (Is why we had to get a 1930 Kansas plate for it cause we knew where the truck came from). When he died they hauled him to his grave in this truck. Never had to do anything with it cept wire brush the plugs off. His wife even gave up a flathead V8 with the deal. I can walk in the ole garage and look at 3 Model A's then look at that truck and every time a Big Smile comes to my face. We LOVE it too Tyty!
Veger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:55 PM   #46
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe1942 View Post
i have been away from the model a hobby for about 7-8 years or more. I hope to return to the hobby tomorrow if my deal on a '30 pickup goes through. I have actually stayed away from car shows, parades, outings and such to intentionally avoid being tempted once again by the hobby, as i have a motorcycle with sidecar that has completely consumed my time and money over the years, now.

Any rate, i hope to be back in stride after tomorrow and if so will be picking up a '30, 82-b, closed cab pickup. I have never ridden or driven one, nor ridden or driven a coupe for that matter. I have owned a '30 fordoor and a '30 tudor in the past, but i understand that the coupe and the pickups both have issues with leg room, as opposed to the sedans.

I have now had 7-8 years to develop arthritis, stiffness and older age, so the pickup can be a challenge for me to get in and out of. Believe me, i can adapt, as i drive a smart car as my daily driver. I am just trying to find a thread or info regarding anything that can be done to deal with the seating issue with the pickup? The current owner was not 100% sure that the bottom seat was indeed stock on this pickup, but i believe that it is. He said that seat had about a 1" hangover and he thought that it may not be locked into place correctly or that it may be non-stock. Me, i have no clue and thus i ask. I am about 5'10" and i won't make you laugh by giving my weight. The steering wheel isn't a problem for me, but just getting in and getting out may be. Maybe hitting the motrin bottle is the key, huh? :-)

can anyone suggest some specific sites where pickup owners seem to gather and discuss their models? It has been years since i frequented sites as this or ahooga and some things have changed during that time. (edit added). I just found the groups section here and see there is a pickup group. I am not familiar with all that is on this site, as i am just now joining and learning all the features. :-)

i am trying to find out for certain how i can identify the model this truck is supposed to be. I have been told it is a 82-b, but i have no real idea, myself, as i have not dealt with trucks in the past.

This truck will hopefully be put into service as a replacement for my smart car or at least be somewhat of a daily driver sorts. It has a few updates to it and i'll be sharing more info when it arrives at my home and i can really begin to get used to it and learn more. I hope the pictures attach, but i am just learning how to use this site in that regard.

Anyone live in or near ada, ok.?
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! REAL NICE!!!!!!!!!!

I think I have an ex-wife living in Ada!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:32 PM   #47
coupe1942

Thanks for all the info and tips above.

I'll have to try out entering from the passenger side, as I had not even thought of that to begin with. I have my seat out and floorboard out for some work right now, so I can't give this idea a try at present. I sure intent to later though.

I intend to try to add in some dash lighting and also do some more powder coating on the dash instrument panel before I get started in hooking in my new wiring harness. It kills me not to drive in my own truck to show, but I have been attending local car shows just about every weekend to meet any Model A folk there, but unfortunately, virtually no Model A's seem to be present :-(

I really need to clean out my garage and start back to seriously trying to get the ol' gal up and running once again. I still have some various parts on order and I have not even attempted to install the Tilly carb I recently aquired. Guess I am waiting on the weather to cool off, but that is likely just an excuse. Got to get motivated more than I have been.

The seat is a situation that will likely end up taking a back seat on some other projects I have going. I am too cheap to spring for a new set of springs and then get the upholstery done. I checked on using a Jeep rear seat, but the measurements were not close enough to satisfy me to purchase one at this time. From what the manufacturer said, it seemed to be about 9" shorter in length than my Model A seat is. Not many wrecking yards to go scout out locally, but I will keep my eyes out for a middle seat for maybe a Quest or such.

Hook, can you please post a photo of your seat as you said? I'd sure like a better look at those seat loops mentioned. Thanks.

My pickup is a daily driver, so some things will not be up to snuff as to originality, but it isn't made to be a high points vehicle anyway. I did powder coat the dash instrument panel and the trim rings to the gauges and odometer. I am learning how to do that and it is a challenge at times, but I think it turned out okay for my first attempt. Now if I can just lock everything back into place and not break anything as I do so, I think it will be okay. The red on those trim rings are very close to the red color of my wheels. :-)

Again, thanks for the tips. That AA looks very, very nice, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 875.jpg (53.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 876.jpg (55.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 878.jpg (128.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 09-19-2016, 02:49 PM   #48
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Looks slick. Nice job
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote