Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #41
28RPU

Default Re: Please do Not touch!

I would not mind someone touching or sitting in my car if they asked first. What would you think if you came out of a store and found someone sitting in your family car? It should be assumed by all that even though you are at a car show,its a show and not an amusement park, common sense would dictate that you ask permission before fondling someone else's property. Those signs would not be seen if only car people were at an event,so non car people need to display manners.
28RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #42
TonyM

There was a thread like this on the old Model A FordBarn. Tons of horror stories about kids standing on Model A Fenders, all kinds of crazy stuff. My brother had to yell at a guy who was picking at a piece of loose trim on his 1941 Buick Series 90 Limited.

TM
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:49 PM   #43
Da Tinman

for any of you that are interested I will be throwing a car show for the kids at the blind school here (Jacksonville Il) sometime next spring.

cotton gloves will be given to the kids so they wont scratch or damage your paint.

You "dont touch" sissies can stay at home as this is a touchie feelie kinda thing.
Da Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #44
46ford

In all fairness I don't think anyone here is complaining about people "touching" their cars. It's pretty clear that what bothers people is damage caused by carelessness, theft or disrespect shown by a relative few.

It's really no different than the reaction you're gonna get if you open your door against the average person's modern car. And most of the modern cars around here cost more (and are easier to dent) than anything I bring to a show.
46ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #45
Evil-Eric

Man this is great...
I for one do not really care for people young/old who feel the need to touch,stand,groupe...whatever you want to call it on my car....I dont do it to others...the car is "real" its not a hologram I dont have to touch it to know its real....I know what 90% of a car seat feels like (take or give some super lumbar crap) so I really dont have to sit in it. A bakelite steering wheel..well you touch one you touched them all.

To me however a sigh is just an invitation for some weirdo to prove he done it..and get his jollies off.

to the others who say if its that special leave it at home...well I built and drive my car for MY pleasure not someone elses. If you like my ride great..if you dont who cares

If you think its allright to get inside your car because its on "display" at a show maybe it would be allright for folks to stroll in through the front door of your house cause "it was so nice on the outside we just had to see the inside".....oh wait thats home invasion...my car is no different

But like everything else..in the end no one really cares what you or I..good or bad think..people are gonna do whatever they want reguardless..and thats the real shame
Evil-Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #46
Dennis (EV8G)

I have invited people many times to sit in my '27 Roadster T-V8. Typically it's because the person is considering building one and are curious about if they will even fit into a Model T, haha. I have no problem giving a hands-on demo but only if I am asked permission first.

Now, when my Girlfriend tells me I need to look out of the window of the restaraunt we are having lunch at and I see a hispanic family that looks fresh from the border piling out of a junker Astro Van and point for their kids to literally climb into my car and start cranking on the steering wheel and shifter while the parents smile and take pictures you had better believe I stormed out of the restaraunt and let them know exactly how I felt about it with the same ZERO respect they showed towards me.

Most people who attend a vintage car event or even see a single vintage car in a local parking lot have enough common sense to look at it without disturbing it but it is the disrespectful few that have made it necessary for owners to feel they must post a warning and I can fully understand.

I also truely believe that people are generally more respectful in certain parts of the country than in others. Out here in Southern California people nearly kill you for the sake of beating you into the entrance of the McDonalds drive-thru.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:45 PM   #47
Cecil/WV

In May of 1009, after I had just completed my restoration, I was asked to bring my '40 pickup to the elementary school where my wife works and let the kindergarten kids look at it. There was 4 classes that cycled through, each one needing to sit in the seat and blow the horn. They had fun and I guess they really didn't hurt it at all.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #48
Frank The Plumber

No one puts a sign on their car to ward off respectful, quality, gracious, people . No one here is addressing car people, not a one of you would walk up to anothers car that you do not know and set in it, nor would you let your children nor your childs children, because you are car people, and decent, and you have a half ounce at least of common sense. Why would you condone this behavior from a spectator at a car show when you and yours would not do it. The reason these people do this is because they are jealous ignorant spiteful hopeless slugs and there is no excuse to for it. If we paddled their butts when they were babies they would know right from wrong. I don't see how letting an unsupervised child or an uneducated adult disrespect my property that I spend my hours building and working my nummys off to be able to have is good for anyone. If these people feel that the full experience is only captured by destroying or damaging a mans property they should stay home. I have never had anyone who would touch one of my rides do just that, most who would touch sure feel free to kick punch and key. It's a given in this society that it is wrong to just walk up and touch people any old place you want, want to let that slide as well? How would you react if they disrespected the Mrs.? I would hope they would have a squint for a while.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #49
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank The Plumber View Post
You guys must live in Utopia, among ourselves, us car guys, our kids are usually well behaved, adults too. It's the spectators that pull up in the mini van with a carload of devil babies that bring out those signs. The guy who wants to assault you because you are asking him to remove his 9 year old from your car because he just stabbed your seat with his pocket knife or sharpied "SUK" on your dash. The grinning guy with the "i'm with stupid T shirt" the one with the arrow that actually points up, that hung around your car so he could snag your shifter knob, cause he is in need of counseling, or time served. The 350 pound guy who just has to do he secret test on your running boards that bends them and laughs to his 92 pound friend that it would still be attached if ya hada dun it rite. Those signs are not for the regular folk, they are for the hateful, stupid, rude and just plain ignorant people out there who need a sign to keep them from putting their hand in the snow blower, head in a log chipper or drinking anti freeze. While I do not advocate the signs I do respect in most cases the types of situations that cause them to be placed. Next time you see a gent sittin there with a sign, ask him why it is there, you may get a heck of a tale out of him. You guys need to go shopping with your wives, see society at it's finest.
RIGHT ON FRANK! Well said!
I always thought those signs on lawn mowers and such were useless. If after all some guy thought it okay to put his hands beneath the mower deck with the thing running, would he actually be smart enough to read the warning label? Very doubtful.
Of course he'd probably have just enough sense to sue. recall the woman that got burned from McDonalds coffee spilled on her lap? Fortuantely there came a judge upon that case that eventually overturned the award. He thought rightfully so, that she should have known better than place a hot cup of coffee between her legs.
Kube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:52 PM   #50
alan

we drive a 40 wagon and I encourage people to look at it, sit in it, ask questions and just about anything else, but only when I am there with car because I had a couple of people get in one of my cars and have lunch, left the front seat a mess-wrappers,little ketchup, mustard dispensers, no respect for what they were doing, found out who they were-children of one of those fanatic DO NOT TOUCH guys, go figure that one out
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #51
bcharlton

Glad to hear so many opinions. When the smoke clears, people need to have respect for your propoerty. I am looking forard to showing children the majic of owning something old. I have kids over at my basemant malt shop on a regular basis and eveything in the shop is to be used. Here are some pice of my basement sactuary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1272 (Small).JPG (46.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1274 (Small).JPG (55.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1275 (Small).JPG (38.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1278 (Small).JPG (35.3 KB, 14 views)
bcharlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:47 PM   #52
ABento

Its all about the respect for others, I don't put signs out, but I sometimes wonder even if you did would the clod read or understand it, last show I was at some clod was holding his kid in front of him while leaning closer to look in the window, his kid being a kid was kicking his feet on my door, not the kids fault but clod should have got him away from the door, I didn't do anything as I didn't want the kid to go fatherless not his fault that daddy doesn't have manners. When I look at other peoples cars i watch where I'm at at all times if I should look over the fender under an open hood you can bet my hand is resting on my belt so I know if I got to close to a fender, even some bodys rust bucket is to be treated with respect. I should remember the line to ask some clod next time where his car was at so I could open the door and sit in it or lean all over it or go find a dog to have him wizz on this jerks tire, and why do people have to bring their dogs to a car show.
ABento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:59 PM   #53
4dFord/SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABento View Post
why do people have to bring their dogs to a car show.
Female dogs are OK, but males not so much.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #54
Grandadeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcharlton View Post
Glad to hear so many opinions. When the smoke clears, people need to have respect for your propoerty. I am looking forard to showing children the majic of owning something old. I have kids over at my basemant malt shop on a regular basis and eveything in the shop is to be used. Here are some pice of my basement sactuary.

Great basement sactuary, would love to have one. Come to think of it - I'd just love to have a basement.
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50
Grandadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:42 PM   #55
Evil-Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dFord/SC View Post
Female dogs are OK, .
Thats good, cause those are usually my date for the show....HAHAHAHAHAHA
Evil-Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #56
28RPU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
RIGHT ON FRANK! Well said!
I always thought those signs on lawn mowers and such were useless. If after all some guy thought it okay to put his hands beneath the mower deck with the thing running, would he actually be smart enough to read the warning label? Very doubtful.
Of course he'd probably have just enough sense to sue. recall the woman that got burned from McDonalds coffee spilled on her lap? Fortuantely there came a judge upon that case that eventually overturned the award. He thought rightfully so, that she should have known better than place a hot cup of coffee between her legs.
This made me laugh because it reminded me of someone. Believe it or not but I actually met someone dumb enough to put his hand underneath a lawnmower to see if it was running.A kid came to work one day with his hand all bandaged up.We asked him what happened and he actually admitted that he stuck his finger under a running lawnmower to see if the blade was turning.The sad thing is he did not realize how dumb he was,he thought that he did a normal thing by checking it out. Scary thing is I would bet this kid votes too.
28RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #57
Frank The Plumber

In wood shop in freshman year of High school they had a sign on the drill press that read " Do Not put your hand under the drill bit, it will put a hole in your hand" I saw this sign and laughed to my buddy, "what sort of a dumb ass would put his hand under the drill bit?" Within the first hour of my first day in high school, woodshop was first class I learned my most valuable lesson in life. Our first assignment was to place a drill bit in the chuck, remove it and place it back in the bit selector, real freakin simple even for 14 tear old kids right, Nah, some jack ass gufah put in the bit, looked hard at it, put his hand against the bit and pushed the round black button. Well you know what happened and two girls puked and there was the screaming and the fire department had to come and the class got a lecture and gosh if this was today Barry would have called to tell the kid that gee young man every thing will be fine and heres a coupe million to solve your brain deficit. Well, this was Monday at about 9;15 am, it takes blood about 2 days to dry, it takes a dog about 3 days to forget he ever got a good whippin for making waste on the carpet, however by Wednesday at 8:30 am, the second total dumb ass had been revealed, this one went so far as to plug in the machine to settle his curiosity and severe that artery in his hand with that 3/8" drill bit. Lesson learned by me: Most people are just damn stupid. And that my friends is why you also see the poles and velvet ropes.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:43 PM   #58
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Tinman View Post
for any of you that are interested I will be throwing a car show for the kids at the blind school here (Jacksonville Il) sometime next spring.

cotton gloves will be given to the kids so they wont scratch or damage your paint.

You "dont touch" sissies can stay at home as this is a touchie feelie kinda thing.

i met a guy that is blind, he had a friend that wonted to show him my truck. i walked him over to it he put both hands on my truck and felt the hole thing. i let him get inside and start up the motor. he could imitate all the sounds that the motor made to a t. it was worn out so it mad a lot of noise. it was quite a experience for me as well for him

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote